MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

In the first month when I started taking the car apart I ran into a couple carriage bolts through the floor mat and sheet metal. This was on both sides near the front seat belts. Initially I thought they may have been used to fill the holes from where some eye bolts may have been, eye bolts were used to secure suspects in the rear on some cars, just didn't think it went this far back. I blew it off and moved on.
2010-09-25_010.jpg

As seen under the car.
2016-10-23_001.jpg

In putting the vinyl cover on the upper B-pillar I noticed a couple screw holes that didn't look factory so I checked the other side and they were there. That being said I checked my other car and no holes.

The new cover.
2016-10-23_002.jpg

Not knowing that it was something to document I don't really have pictures showing the holes (I do have the original vinyl pieces put away somewhere)

Here are some pictures showing the locations (the larger hole is for a retractable shoulder belt that Dodge installed for the CHP)

2010-09-02_003.jpg

2010-09-25_002.jpg

2012-02-20_003.jpg

2012-08-28_013.jpg

2012-09-07_007.jpg

(We had to replace the nut on the back of the plate)

Here is a cage/screen in a CHP car (1968 I think), I have a screen from a later year that I will use as a guide to fabricate one for this car.
Image1.jpg

In this picture you can see that it mounts with two straps to the B-pillars and I assume the side rails continue to the floor.

Alan

Just for the sake of conversation, I wanted to post this pix of stock 69 dodge Polara Convertible with factory 440/375 and the front-end has never been touched
DSC08424.JPG
hed. The safety loop is the same as found on CHP car?

That is a normal Mopar part found on many cars. It may have tied to the sure grip rear, I'm sure they put on at the CHP"s request.

Alan

After doing the respray on the roof the full car was buffed out and I was once again moving forward. Front and rear glass were installed along with the rest of the exterior trim. With all the glass in the car I was able to get my engine builder over and go through the mechanicals and take it on the road. First stop was the gas station as we'd be lucky if there was a gallon in the tank.

The car drove nice, pulled a little but the alignment is scheduled for a week from now. We went for a 30 mile run checking the oil pressure at different speeds and taking note of some other minor issues. On the way back to the house we stop and get some oil as he wanted to run a different oil to bring the idle pressure up. Back at the house we changed the oil and adjusted the tortion bars to bring the front end up, it was way low. Back out for another run and he was happy with the pressure, back home where I continued putting trim on.

2016-11-19_003.jpg

Still quite a bit to do but it is getting there.

Alan

Last edited:
Hell Yes!

Very, very cool. That must have felt good to do.

How fast were you going when you almost got airborne?

Great car Alan!

I did not expect an open rear. You almost had a bit of air time in the second video.
CHP didn't want the Sure-Grip, I think they tried and tore them up.

screencap.jpg

Clearly about 3" on both front wheels.

Hell Yes!

Very, very cool. That must have felt good to do.

How fast were you going when you almost got airborne?

Great car Alan!

The reality is I was probably only doing about 50, I knew about the bump and when it came off the first one I lifted knowing the second one was still to come. I had no idea I caught air, it never hit the bump stops.

Alan

Lovely day on the central coast. Kind of looks like the road into Casmalia from the north but you are probably closer to town.

Now you can lurk on the back roads around there and check fools that are leaving the wineries half lit up.

Last edited:
That's an awesome shot. Looks like a scene right out of a movie.
I'll be out there again once the car is done with some better equipment and operators. That particular road has very little reason for traffic and with the terrain and curves there are multiple places to setup some cool shots and video.

Alan

This is great! I just caught on to this thead and was glued to it for an hour straight. Awesome work, man!

I'll be out there again once the car is done with some better equipment and operators. That particular road has very little reason for traffic and with the terrain and curves there are multiple places to setup some cool shots and video.
With a chase scene and a spectacular ending, please...

Avengers-car-explosion.jpg

Alan, did you reuse the original CHP torsion bars and rear leafs?

Alan, did you reuse the original CHP torsion bars and rear leafs?
Yes, all the factory suspension parts were used, all the rubber was replaced (aside from the front rear spring bushings), shocks were run of the mill Gabriels (because they were black, and they handled nice on my other Polara).

Alan

Question. Back in the days it was said that a 1969 CHP Polara hit 147 mph around Chrysler's proving grounds. Some doubt that based on the power of the engine, weight and aerodynamics of the car. So is that number legitimate?

Question. Back in the days it was said that a 1969 CHP Polara hit 147 mph around Chrysler's proving grounds. Some doubt that based on the power of the engine, weight and aerodynamics of the car. So is that number legitimate?
I recently saw the 1969 CHP test data for the 1969 CHP Polara and three different drivers could only hit 138 in 3 miles from a standing start. My engine builder ran the numbers, red line, rear end ratio and tire size and came up with a absolute top speed and I forgot what it was. I'll need to check with him.

Alan

I recently saw the 1969 CHP test data for the 1969 CHP Polara and three different drivers could only hit 138 in 3 miles from a standing start. My engine builder ran the numbers, red line, rear end ratio and tire size and came up with a absolute top speed and I forgot what it was. I'll need to check with him.

Alan
What ratio were the rears?

Back