MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Better than new Alan, those photo's look like they were shot in 69. Enjoy.

Roof lights require a cover, generally the original covers said "Out Of Service" on them. I put a KC light cover on the red spotlight and an Out of Service sign over the rear lights along with magnets over the Highway Patrol on the trunk. Technically you should cover the door graphics but my friend never has and it hasn't been an issue, officers have indicated it isn't an issue long as we have the signs.

Alan
Fabulous job Alan. Really, really, really well done.

Its a given is it not? The car is obviously not "In Service". Any citizen driving on the road thinking that is an active duty police car shouldnt be driving. I guess im trying to say, its a shame you gotta take those steps and cover the face of the car as she goes down the road

There's a reason why Captain Obvious isn't more of a touch of comic relief than he should be. Some of the same people who "turn a car on"......

With the car essentially being done do I start a new thread on the future adventures of this car or do I keep on here?

Alan

If you start a new thread make sure to tag this thread in the first post for anyone to reference.

Beautiful CHP, now enjoy!

Yesterday I took the car for a 200 mile (one way) drive to show it to the family that I purchased it from. They were very pleased with the final product. The drive was great and for the most part uneventful, and with an overall average MPG of about 12.2

Alan

2017-02-11_013.jpg

2017-02-11_1018.jpg

2017-02-11_002.jpg

Last edited:
That is neat. I wish that I could meet the previous owner of some of my cars. Please have a seperate blog on your show adventures.

Just before we rolled out I took this picture and we noticed the wet spots in the rear, we initially blew it off as coming from the vents.
2017-02-11_031.jpg

On the way back we stopped for lunch and noticed it was still dripping,

2017-02-11_1044.jpg

When we came out there was a puddle about two feet diameter. I slid under and best I could tell it was coming from the vent hose coupling so we chose to just go and let the tank level go down.

In the morning I pulled the hose (which was 5/16" not 1/4") and replaced it. I then took the car and topped it off and it was still leaking, dang.

I started a siphon and went under to try and see what the problem was. Using an air hose I could see the problem. Once I got the level low enough I was able to clean it and get this picture.
2017-02-12_002.jpg

So now I need to pull the tank and have it fixed.

Alan

Last edited:
While at the farm I asked about the original grill he indicated they still have. I recall him saying it was mangled but I was still curious about it. With a little effort we were able to dig it out of one of the barns.
2017-02-11_023.jpg

2017-02-11_029.jpg

The story behind this is that the original owners son (one in the gray shirt in picture above) hit a cow. I knew the grill, hood, fender and windshield were replaced when I got the car, no other damage was evident.

Alan

I am waiting for the story on you getting pulled over by an old C H P veteran and him saying, "I remember these, I drove them when I first started"

That would be quite a story...a trooper that's been on the force for close to 50 years and would be pushing 70 years old now.

I am waiting for the story on you getting pulled over by an old C H P veteran and him saying, "I remember these, I drove them when I first started"
20 year old rookie 1969
30 year career, retired 1999
78 year old now

We get all the fish stories at various CHP functions.

Alan

As for the stories, nothing stands out (my friend probably could tell you word for word).
...got it up to 160 on...
...got it up to 170 on...
Anything over 150 I still doubt without damaging the engine
...the speedometer went all the way around?
Multiple on this one, think it came from the earlier cars that had an auxiliary speedometer (even then they couldn't go all the way around.
...the brakes don't work (maybe something here, I think it was in comparison to cars later in there career)
...we'd flip the air cleaner cover (not on 69, maybe a 71+)

Alan

As for the stories, nothing stands out (my friend probably could tell you word for word).
...got it up to 160 on...
...got it up to 170 on...
Anything over 150 I still doubt without damaging the engine
...the speedometer went all the way around?
Multiple on this one, think it came from the earlier cars that had an auxiliary speedometer (even then they couldn't go all the way around.
...the brakes don't work (maybe something here, I think it was in comparison to cars later in there career)
...we'd flip the air cleaner cover (not on 69, maybe a 71+)

Alan
Thanks for sharing these with us. I do personally know they were fast cars, But I don't think to much over 150 MPH. The points in the distributor would have been bouncing to much for the spark to keep up.

Back