Need help with radio hookup in 1969 Fury

jamesmac1

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Fury that the radio is a mess in. The speakers were missing when I got the car. I had new speakers and an "Out of Sight Audio Mark II" installed. We just bypassed the old radio though. The old AM-FM lights up, so I think it might work, if I could get the wiring hooked up properly. I just need to know what each wire does. I got the wiring diagram from the manual, but it is way too complicated to follow. If I knew which wire fed each speaker I could jump them to the Out of Sight Audio puck. I have a black, a violet and a dark green wire coming out of the radio. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

The manual should tell you which wire does what. I think the violet is the speaker, (sounds like a mono radio), green and black are power and ground.

It sounds like you have the AM-FM Multiplex radio. It's basically a radio that lets you listen to FM stereo broadcasts. The green, black and violet colored wires are the audio outputs. They feed to the stereo switch and crossover.

The FSM will show you where those wires go.

There should be a red wire for power and an orange wire for the light. No ground wire.

I was curious, so I went to the "out of site" web site. If you just have the radio, and don't have the other components (stereo switch and crossover), then I don't think this is going to work as well as you hoped. The best way would be to use the speaker wires coming out of the crossover and hook those to the inputs. Since it's "high level" output, don't expect much.

But it sounds like you don't have the crossover and stereo switch, so you may be able to use the green wire for one channel and violet wire for the other... ground for the - side of each channel... but I'm not sure. I would expect it not to sound very good either.

It pretty much comes down to the radio and sound system in the car has to be complete and working before you add something like this.

If you are stuck with this piece, it might be worth sourcing a regular AM-FM radio.... Or just play music from your I-phone or whatever and skip any input from the radio.

You'll really hate to hear this... but for a few bucks more, you could have just had the existing radio upgraded so you wouldn't need the "out of sight" stuff.

AM/FM Stereo Conversions for old car radios

Back