For Sale Nice looking 1970 Imperial.....aww crap, it's in Lakeland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IwannaImp

Reaction score
Contact seller
I had a bad feeling about this listing..... maybe it's me, but that vinyl top looks all sorts of wrong!

My guess is it will be listed for about 19,500 of their website.

Chrysler: Imperial LEBARON - 31K MILES

70%20Chrysler%20Imperial%20gold002_zpsefmqypzh.jpg

Jeezes. I blew up every pic. Might be the first damn time one of his cars is worth it.

I can smell the fish from here. Something isn't right.
What's up with this?
Screenshot_20160828-173439.png

Jeezes. I blew up every pic. Might be the first damn time one of his cars is worth it.

Wrong wheel covers (albeit better looking). Misaligned headlight door. Weird dent in rt. C-pillar.
upload_2016-8-28_22-7-59.png

What is this funky thing on the dash, below the glove box? Or what is it hiding?

upload_2016-8-28_22-12-31.png

Should have either a stripe (yea!) or BSM (boo.) I also think that re-spray leans more towards red than the OEM color (should have green undertones).

$9000

Wrong wheel covers (albeit better looking). Misaligned headlight door. Weird dent in rt. C-pillar.
View attachment 90442

What is this funky thing on the dash, below the glove box? Or what is it hiding?

View attachment 90443

Should have either a stripe (yea!) or BSM (boo.) I also think that re-spray leans more towards red than the OEM color (should have green undertones).

$9000

I agree with you on the boring, plain body side appearance - no standard moldings or pin stripes down the side on that model (just a bump strip was optional and didn't help that much, and the lack of a fender skirt, however thin, makes this car look funny to me compared to most all other Imperials (and I generally hate fender skirts on most any cars but these fuselage Imperials). The pad on top of the dashpad just below the glove box was also a 1970 only embellishment, that again I didn't like. Looked like a fake add on and I have often wondered why they did it? The real miracle of that car is that even with Auto Temp 1, the a/c is claimed to blow ice cold! Now that is a miracle and perhaps the only real distinguishing feature of this particular vehicle. Overall, the 1970 models did nothing for me, but I do actually like the 1971 - 73 models quite a bit - small touches can make a big difference on these cars.

Should there not be a call out decal on the air cleaner?

Then why do people put red heater hoses in as replacements?

Try this instead... at least closer to reality...
1971 Chrysler imperial lebaron.
00P0P_cmBg2x71NVY_1200x900.jpg
00e0e_3idditbJOyL_1200x900.jpg
00U0U_5W1deIcoPoc_1200x900.jpg
00S0S_fArLl2tkeQc_1200x900.jpg

excellent condition. new carpet. new interior. new headliner. one oil change at 3000 miles on the original 440 cubic inch motor. need to see to appreciate. fully electric, front disk brakes, leather seats. second owner since 1972. fully original vinyl top. cash only no checks. However. will trade for full size older model Dodge pick up exstended cab.of equal value. will trade for dodge ram or Chevrolet full size pick up truck of equal value. willing to negotiate price.

Just look at it carefully first, half the car isn't shown in the ad...

no standard moldings or pin stripes down the side on that model

I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a catalog that you either got a real, handpainted pinstripe (which looked great, and had a nice little kick-up on the rear 1/4, different on coupe vs 4dr) or an ugly set of molding that ran down the bodyside like any other Chrysler, bleh) Naturally, in real life I've seen tons of them with the molding, and zero with the stripe. However since this car has no holes/tabs for molding clips, it might have come with a stripe.

I imagine you could delete the stripe like any other car.

View attachment 90442

View attachment 90443

$9000
Thank you for the Dope Slap. I was really off my game yesterday. :p
$25-hundred.

Try this instead... at least closer to reality...
1971 Chrysler imperial lebaron.
00P0P_cmBg2x71NVY_1200x900.jpg
00e0e_3idditbJOyL_1200x900.jpg
00U0U_5W1deIcoPoc_1200x900.jpg
00S0S_fArLl2tkeQc_1200x900.jpg

excellent condition. new carpet. new interior. new headliner. one oil change at 3000 miles on the original 440 cubic inch motor. need to see to appreciate. fully electric, front disk brakes, leather seats. second owner since 1972. fully original vinyl top. cash only no checks. However. will trade for full size older model Dodge pick up exstended cab.of equal value. will trade for dodge ram or Chevrolet full size pick up truck of equal value. willing to negotiate price.

Just look at it carefully first, half the car isn't shown in the ad...

My experience is that Imperials don't age all that well, such that by 80K miles just about all the options generally fail and need expensive and frustrating attention. And since the front seats of this car were recovered, this car must have some high miles on it (and since the miles aren't listed in the listing). It looks like a paint job is also in order. Some suspension parts for rebuilding are also very expensive and only available from Rare Parts.

I would rather invest more $$ (assuming the Hemmings one sells for under $15K) and avoid the hassles and a paint job and still come out money ahead rather than buying this black one.

My experience is that Imperials don't age all that well, such that by 80K miles just about all the options generally fail and need expensive and frustrating attention. And since the front seats of this car were recovered, this car must have some high miles on it (and since the miles aren't listed in the listing). It looks like a paint job is also in order. Some suspension parts for rebuilding are also very expensive and only available from Rare Parts.

I would rather invest more $$ (assuming the Hemmings one sells for under $15K) and avoid the hassles and a paint job and still come out money ahead rather than buying this black one.
I understand, but that is also going by the assumption that the other car isn't hiding some sort of evil... as a driver/project, I figured the the one I found might be worth a look... and I wouldn't even think about $15k without a real close inspection... This top makes me believe it may be hiding rust issues and I wouldn't like a repaint that didn't include a top replacement... where they didn't paint has too much potential for problems.
70%20Chrysler%20Imperial%20gold029_zpsiqhm7fes.jpg

You guys are too hard on this car.......Did you ever look at a survivor from 1969? My '69 Grand Prix I purchased with 5k original miles 20 years ago. My '69 G.P. was the first year of that style exercise meaning the build quality can be alitlle crude (just like this car as the first build). You can see the seam under my vinyl roof line. There is even one spot of a circular grinder mark on the lower part of the door. And yes it has been looked at by Pontiac collectors and it is original. Lets see what the bidding does and hopefully someone will actually look at it in person and give their opinion here.

You guys are too hard on this car.......Did you ever look at a survivor from 1969? My '69 Grand Prix I purchased with 5k original miles 20 years ago. My '69 G.P. was the first year of that style exercise meaning the build quality can be alitlle crude (just like this car as the first build). You can see the seam under my vinyl roof line. There is even one spot of a circular grinder mark on the lower part of the door. And yes it has been looked at by Pontiac collectors and it is original. Lets see what the bidding does and hopefully someone will actually look at it in person and give their opinion here.

I think it's because the seller has a "rep"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back