NO steering 68 Chrysler

440Chauncey

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to this forum but I have a problem with my 68 Chrysler new yorker 440 car. I recently did some work to the motor and it is running fine but i went to take it for a test drive and the power steering was rough. All i did was take the pump off, repaint it and put it back on. When i was setting the timing i noticed the pump was pulling away from the motor and then there was a loud snap and the motor stalled. I restarted it noticing that there was no power steering at idle and even at 3000 rpm. So my question is, do i need a new gearbox or pump??

Thanks

Have you confirmed the amount of fluid in the pump first?
The pump "pulled away" from the motor? ..The pump is mounted via a bracket to the engine block. Dont quite understand how it "pulls away".
Any pics? ...would be helpful.

Yes pictures please. You should have a "Federal" design pump, but we need pictures to help you.

Sorry for the late reply.....
Heres some pics of the pump and it is a federal pump.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I had my cousin come over to look at it and his opinion was to take the belt off and manually spin the pulley by hand. There was some resistance like it there was something blocking it. I did notice when I revved it above 3000 RPM there is some assist so the verdict was to try another pump.

Sorry for the late reply.....
Heres some pics of the pump and it is a federal pump.
View attachment 76940 View attachment 76941 View attachment 76942 View attachment 76943
I had my cousin come over to look at it and his opinion was to take the belt off and manually spin the pulley by hand. There was some resistance like it there was something blocking it. I did notice when I revved it above 3000 RPM there is some assist so the verdict was to try another pump.
oK..Thx for the pic. I know this sounds simple but when ever I have a problem I begin with the simplest fix first.
I assume you've confirmed the fluid level in the pump itself?
Looking at the drive belt (for the pump) it appears to be taught, which it would make me think the pump was in the proper position (it would be loose if the pump were not). Sometimes the bearings go bad in these things, esp. if they've been rebuilt (re-manufactured they call it, lol)...they will self destruct esp. if the fluid isn't kept at the proper level and/or your not using the correct type of fluid. They pulley wheel should spin freely and without any kinks or "rough spots" in the movement.

First, you do have a "Federal" design pump, As suggested check the fluid level and type, (do not use ATF). If they are good get a long piece of hose and mount it to the return end of the gearbox, start the engine and watch it run into a large container. the pump should go dry in seconds at idle speed. if it does not the pump is bad. good news is if you have to replace the pump, you can change it to the "Saginaw" design at this time.

Not sure but I think there's a member here who did the "Federal to Saginaw" power steering swap out....has a Plymouth wagon if I remember. If you go that way (switch to the saginaw pump) he did step by step thread for it.

Not sure but I think there's a member here who did the "Federal to Saginaw" power steering swap out....has a Plymouth wagon if I remember. If you go that way (switch to the saginaw pump) he did step by step thread for it.
It has probably been done by other members also, I did it on my 300 and wrote up the parts needed. (As did others).

Just took it for a successful test drive. I ended up getting a new federal pump and also installed a new return hose. It immediately bleeded the air and worked flawlessly. There were no leaks and full power in idle from side to side. Now my new yorkers ready to go for the cruising season!!!

Just took it for a successful test drive. I ended up getting a new federal pump and also installed a new return hose. It immediately bleeded the air and worked flawlessly. There were no leaks and full power in idle from side to side. Now my new yorkers ready to go for the cruising season!!!
excellent, nice going!!!

Back