Oil capacity of a 1968 New Yorker?

rarefish

Reaction score
I friend just purchased a all original 1968 New Yorker. He tells me that if you have A/C which his car has then the oil capacity is 6 quarts with the filter changed and cars without A/C have the 5 quart capacity. I told him that he is wrong and that they are all 5 quart capacity. He claims that he read the 6 quart capacity with A/C in "the service manual" Not sure what manual he is reading. He also told me that with 6 quarts in the pan, the dip stick read full. Any opinions on this???

...He also told me that with 6 quarts in the pan, the dip stick read full. Any opinions on this???

That would be a "TRUE" statement. The dip stick WOULD read full with 6 quarts, it would also be OVERFULL by a quart, but there is no mark on the stick for that.

Many guys run 6 quarts in their engines with a stock pan. The guys in the know insist they hold five easily with one in the filter

From my 1965 FSM:

AC-1 = Chrysler Newport Convertible
AC-2 = Chrysler 300 Four Door
AC-3 = Chrysler New Yorker Two Door
AY-1 = Imperial Le Baron Four Door

I'm curious why it lists 5 Quarts for the Imperial when the New Yorker has the same 413 motor yet only requires 4 Quarts.

I think you guys are missing the point I was making and my question. The imperial specs 5 Quarts +1 with Filter change but it shares the same motor (413) as the New Yorker but the New Yorker specs 4 Quarts +1 with Filer. Why the difference model to model with the same motor?

I think you guys are missing the point I was making and my question. The imperial specs 5 Quarts +1 with Filter change but it shares the same motor (413) as the New Yorker but the New Yorker specs 4 Quarts +1 with Filer. Why the difference model to model with the same motor?

I understood the point but can not answer the question with certainty

My '59 Imperial, '62 300, '69 Grand Prix and '70 Fury Pursuit all hold 6 quarts and corresponds with the factory service manual/owners manual. Follow either one of them.

The pan holds what it holds. It holds 6 with the filter. They spec'd different oil volume for the different cars, maybe to help ensure long engine life for the premium luxury car.

I think the Hemi was spec'd for 6 quarts but the only difference in the pans between a 440 and a 426 was baffles.

The 426 Hemi had a totally different oil pan than a 383 or 440 Magnum and all 3 engines had a windage tray to keep the crank from slapping the oil. 383 2 barrel engines and 440 350 HP motors didn't have the windage tray.

"Capacity" can be greater than fill specifications.
When the oil level reaches the FULL mark on the dipstick, that's what you put in. 4+1.

How many pages shall we draw this thread out to on how much you put in after an oil change.
beat.gif

Back