Old girl is under the weather

My last Cummins needed an inframe done at 215k. It was coking up and needing regen once a week. Once it was opened up, they discovered bad sleeves. Seems mine and the next in line at time of manufacture (also in the fleet) Got bad sleeves, and neither cummings or kenworth wanted to claim responsibility for this. 3 weeks later and 40k gone it ran great. After we changed out the 4 k DEF filter. Cummings did not keep track of what engines received the bad sleeves and had no way of tracking, recalling them so it seems they let em fly. Former cummings rep/ mech informed me of this.

My last Cummins needed an inframe done at 215k. It was coking up and needing regen once a week. Once it was opened up, they discovered bad sleeves. Seems mine and the next in line at time of manufacture (also in the fleet) Got bad sleeves, and neither cummings or kenworth wanted to claim responsibility for this. 3 weeks later and 40k gone it ran great. After we changed out the 4 k DEF filter. Cummings did not keep track of what engines received the bad sleeves and had no way of tracking, recalling them so it seems they let em fly. Former cummings rep/ mech informed me of this.
I worked for a company that had a humongous fleet and bought in large multiples. Whenever two or more tractors in the single order had the same problem, Cummins or Cat would hire a contractor and come in and redo all the tractors in that bulk purchase. Nice to be big.

What do you think of Western Star. Seems like they still strive to keep the traditional O/O in mind. Or have they changed also.
I don't really know, they have never been on my radar. The WS dealer was a almost 2 hour hike from here. I have never been in the brand new truck market and have gotten good service from my 94 Pete so it just seem like good sense to keep putting it back together. The electronic engines of the 90s were the best good or great MPG, good power levels mid 400s up to 600, no matter what color the engine was a million miles was not unreasonable without coming completely apart. When the emissions came on in 02 fuel mileage went down and driveability issues went up and has only gotten worse with filters/cow piss. I think they will work out a system that will work on diesels to reduce emissions with reliability, I think compression ratios will drop and the compression ignition will go away in favor of of more controllable ignition system and the ability of the same engine to be used with diesel or with natural gas depending on which a fleet wants( not immediately switchable) but same foundation. I believe gasoline direct injection, diesel which have always been direct injection and natural gas versions will all come a little closer in design and operating. If I were to go brand new truck shopping I gotta say that International, and Kenworth's are probably my first choices after that probably a Volvo although that wide cab messes with my head but I'd get used to it and if I have already decided to make that leap to aerodynamics I've given up on style. I like the International Lonestar and the 9900 is still a no bad looking classic type truck.
For your amusement Stan go down to the Peterbilt dealer and climb inside a 389 lower the seat all the way down adjust the steering wheel where you like and tell me what gauges and indicator lights you can see and take a feel of that fuel pedal mashed flat on the floor the whole time you are sitting there, if you are under 6'4" it is not comfy. Now put the seat all the way up so it does not sag with your weight amazingly if you are about 5' tall you can see all the dash and the fuel pedal is in a good position. So if your over 6'4" or under 5' you fit in a Peterbilt well, in between those heights you will never settle in, not to mention the shifter will destroy you phone charger in short order.

When the time comes You can do this for your retirement

pontoons.jpg

Back