Oval Trunk Body Plug

Green Hornet

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently Purchased a 1965 Chrysler 300 L , One of the oval body plugs in the Trunk is missing. I have searched most of the suppliers but cant find any repro's. so it might have to be an original. Can anyone help Please.

Do you have any junkyards you can access over there? That would be one way to try and find those plugs. I did see some things on ebay. You could take a look and see if a seller will work with you to match one up. I have found that sellers may have things available that are not listed.. good luck and welcome to the forum.

I have a coffee can full of old body plugs. May have the one you need. Got a pic of it or the size?

I've been casually looking for one myself. I have both, but one has shrunk a little and falls out easily. A spot of glue keeps it in...

Part# is 2527781 and the hole is 2" x 4.25". Nothing that DMT sells is large enough.

elzH8rH.jpg

PzRdAMJ.jpg

Good Morning
A long shot might be Murray Park. www.cbodies.com
I have a '65 Newport and searched a couple of years before scoring some.
To the best of my knowledge, these are a one year only item, so the reproduction probably won't happen.
Another long shot might be late '70's Dodge pickups. They used an oval plug in the to cover up the lower door hinge. Keep checking the parts car section. From time to time '65's come up.
Good Luck and Good Hunting
Omni

Good Morning
A long shot might be Murray Park. www.cbodies.com
I have a '65 Newport and searched a couple of years before scoring some.
To the best of my knowledge, these are a one year only item, so the reproduction probably won't happen.
Another long shot might be late '70's Dodge pickups. They used an oval plug in the to cover up the lower door hinge. Keep checking the parts car section. From time to time '65's come up.
Good Luck and Good Hunting
Omni
DMT has them on their website. They looked good until I scaled the picture to an original plug and it looks about an inch shorter. The configuration is the same though.

I hadn't looked hard enough to figure out if they were "one year only" or not... That makes me wonder if they were for the early cars with one taillight bulb! (to those unfamiliar, they changed to 2 taillight bulbs somewhere in the year)

My car has a 11/25/64 scheduled build date... (which happens to be my 10th birthday! LOL). @Omni Does your car have one or two taillight bulbs? And what is the build date?

Original v. DMT plug.

Rd6FAq4.jpg

Big John
The 'Barge' has two (per side) tail lamps. and a build date of 1 Feb.
The outer lamps protrude into the trunk.
IMG_1762.JPG

My 300 is Dec 15 and it has 4 bulbs. Does that vertical oval plug cover the access for the back up light?

Big John
The 'Barge' has two (per side) tail lamps. and a build date of 1 Feb.
The outer lamps protrude into the trunk.
View attachment 653903

My 300 is Dec 15 and it has 4 bulbs. Does that vertical oval plug cover the access for the back up light?

The reverse light bulb is accessed through that plug. The hole cutout is round for the single taillight with the socket closer to the brace. The hole cutout is oval for the dual light and the outboard socket is the other side of the brace.

Top pic is my car with a single bulb Bottom car is a low mileage, very original car with dual bulbs.
Q6WgCsW.jpg

4PTkfUP.jpg

Back