Park Brake cross bar

66furys

Reaction score
Wanted to finally check the operation of my E or park brake, as I was concerned that the long rear cable may have been sticking. So, pulled both drums and had the better half move the pedal up and down. Found a bit of sticking, so operated about 50 times while pushing the lever back with a pry bar, until it was better, a bit. But, I noted that the cross bar was NOT fully pushing on the front brake shoe. The lever is moving a lot....too much, but there is still a gap between the slot on the cross bar, and the shoe. Put drums back on and the right bad actor did not really lock up with Ebrake, and the left drom did lock. I am inclined to think that for some reason there is a shorter cross bar here. I can probably just weld up a bit of the slot gap after doing more measurement on how much short it seems to be. But, wondering whether anyone has come across this before. I will say that the lever on the bad side moves about three times as far as does the left side....AND, it does not fully return unless I use the bar. But again, even with this large movement, there is still a gap on the front shoe. I think I will need about a full quarter inch or more to tighten things up????

Why don't you compare the bars from each side? If it's an 11" brake, mine just happen to be apart and I can measure if you want.

More likely, it's just time to put new cables on. If you think about it, there's one cable, pulling two cables and if one rear cable sticks, or it pushes the shoes out all the way, it will pull the other side more.

Right you are BigJohn, but in this case, the cable is pulling, but too far and is still not far enough on this side. And, again right, I wish when I had the drums off it had occurred to me to measure both....it didnt. If you can measure yours for me, it would save me having to pull both sides off again.....and on my gravel, the jacking and bad knees would appreciate it. The number would be the inside of the slots....good thought, thanks.

Those cross bars and the one the cable goes through are different for 10” and 11” brakes. Compare them to each other and see if same or different.

6 5/8" across the notches.

Pcyygnk.jpg

nkuSHnT.jpg

Back