POLICE CAR GROUND STRAPS

polarus

Reaction score
IMG_0618.JPG
OK, 72 Polara W.S.P. car has these extra ground straps that are attached to the rear hinge bolt, does anybody know where the other end was attached? Motor was pulled before I purchased this car.

Not sharp but it is there. Not sure who added them, have not seen an actual car (69 CHP) with one.
Ground.jpg

Alan

View attachment 226388 OK, 72 Polara W.S.P. car has these extra ground straps that are attached to the rear hinge bolt, does anybody know where the other end was attached? Motor was pulled before I purchased this car.

The only ground cable I see is the flat one on the right of the picture, and it looks torn/ripped off on one end. The others look like wiring to me, your picture is cluttered with what you really want us to see. The ground cable is normally attached to a bolt hole on the back of the head, while the other gets bolted to the firewall. Good Luck

These are ground straps for static noise suppression. The one circled hooks to one of the top hinge bolts. The idea was to provide a better ground than was supplied by the hood hinge as if the pivots were rusted or not tight, there could be a build up of static. The second one at the center of the firewall hooked to either a transmission bell housing bolt or a bolt hole in the back of the head. This strap was an auxiliary body ground. Some police cruisers also had a rubberized strap that hooked to the frame and drug on the ground, also for static suppression.

Dave

Thanks everybody, stubs you're right the photo sucks, I took that as a reference photo when I first got the car it should have more detail (this has come back to haunt me.) Alan thanks for clarifying the part in question and your reply, you and Dave solved this one. Thanks again.

I used to have a PK21L7 Va state police car. It had ground straps on the hood, deck lid and mufflers.

Waitaminit...

Yep, my first 1968 PK21 had them at every exhaust pipe clamp hanging loose as previous owner had it in the muffler shop for a new system and pipe jockey didn't re-do'em.
Wasn't until I got the second PK21 that I saw what they were for, also had the hood & transmission, but nothing on the trunk, bonding straps I think they were referred as.
Part of the "Radio Suppression Package" option.

Radio.Suppression.Package2.jpg

Back