Power antenna question

At a car show? Antenna and hood down, the way these cars were designed.

Big_John, I got used to the antenna the way it is. I park it with the antenna down - I mean with the antenna still sticking out the fender... okay, if I am honest: I hate it. It just offends my eye. :)

But... that's the way it was and is. I have no idea at all why they weren't able to mount antennas which fit flush...

Seriously, if an antenna being up or down is an issue for someone looking at my car, I want nothing to do with them. Their opinion is worthless to me. I would retract mine only so that it doesn't get bent or snapped by some mouth breather or their kid.

Last edited:
It's flush when down on my '67, the way it should be.

Can't speak for '70, but the one on my '69 300 went flush.
I just looked at factory photos of 69's and the also show the antenna exposed 8".
What gives? :confused:

69chr03b.jpg

But for ' 71...

PicsArt_09-29-03.35.19.jpg

I dunno.

Last edited:
At a car show? Antenna and hood down, the way these cars were designed.

That's the way I do it...

Seriously, if an antenna being up or down is an issue for someone looking at my car, I want nothing to do with them.

Of course the real answer to the car show question is that it doesn't matter. It's a brown C-body in the back row and the red Camaro is going to win.

Big_John, I got used to the antenna the way it is. I park it with the antenna down - I mean with the antenna still sticking out the fender... okay, if I am honest: I hate it. It just offends my eye. :)

It is really ugly. I can't get past it myself.

But... that's the way it was and is. I have no idea at all why they weren't able to mount antennas which fit flush...

There really isn't enough room. The fenderwell comes up just far enough under the antenna that the longer unit (like Stan's) just won't fit.

Here's a pic of my fender.You can see the shadow of where the cowl fits and the hole for the antenna is. If you look at the car, you can see the cowl and how far the heater box and fan motor sticks into that area.

I just looked at factory photos of 69's and the also show the antenna exposed 8".
What gives? :confused:

69chr03b.jpg

But for ' 71...

View attachment 95037

I dunno.
Interesting... and here's some more food for thought.... My car has some "history" and I know the front end was replaced early in its life. The hood, fenders and radiator support were replaced and I believe, based on trim holes, that used 1971 sheet metal was used.

Look at the underside, about 4" back from the antenna hole. There was another hole that was gas welded closed. That type of work (excellent work too) was consistent with other repairs done. I figured that hole was drilled by mistake. It would be directly over the heater box and blower motor.

Could the 71 be different?

-71. Looks like its flush.
View attachment 95041
It could be airbrushed out too.... But it looks to me like it's farther back on the fender.

Mine is in the right place (or very close). There's a bracket that supports the bottom of the antenna and you couldn't get it too far off or the bracket wouldn't work.

But it looks like it's farther forward than that 71 pic.

Thank you for questioning this, I was incorrectly assuming that mine was malfunctioning. I suppose that's one less thing to fix! Still don't like it though. Let me get this right, slabs- flush, fuselages- protrude, formals- flush. Ok. For reference my 71 New Yorker.
WP_20160708_18_10_30_Pro.jpg

Note that the power antenna was optional on all 1969 Chryslers, including the New Yorker. If the car came with a manual antenna, it could easily be removed, leaving only the mounting base, which gives the impression of a seemingly "flush" antenna while in fact there is no antenna at all. I guess this was the case with all press photos or pictures found in brochures so as not to have a protruding antenna mast distract from the car's lines.

On 1969 Imperials, the power antenna was standard issue if you ordered a radio. The 1969 Imperial data book emphasizes the fact that the antenna is flush with the fender if retracted. I assume the Chrysler data book would have mentioned it, too, if it was flush mount.

1969 Chrysler data book:
antanna_chrysler.jpg

1969 Imperial data book:
antenna_Imperial.jpg

Most likely the elongated fenders of the Imperial offered enough room for a power antenna mechanism to allow for the antenna to fully retract. The Chrysler fender, on the other hand, probably caused a problem in that respect due to the antenna located between the blower motor and the wheelhouse. So the Chrysler power antenna can't fully retract.

On a 66 Chrysler the manual antenna is located on the right fender. The power antenna is on the right quarter panel. It isn't flush mounted, sticks up 6".

Back