Power window rebuild for 65 New Yorker

Boyd

Reaction score
Guys, this is the first time that I have worked on power windows. I am now working on the rear quarter windows now. This car did not have motors in those windows. Anyway, I have a motor marked 2520903. The other motor has no number. I am not sure which motor works on which side. Does anybody have the numbers for the 4 motors in my car and what window they work on.

Secondly, the wires were snipped in the back. I like those heavy duty connectors. Where can I pick up 4 of those connectors?

Third, the female parts of the plug in the front doors are broken. I have connected them with electrical tape, but would like to replace the plug. They seem to work well. Where can I find those.

And finally, What type of grease is recommended. I used spray on lithium grease and that may be to light. I had axel grease that would be too heavy. What would you recommend to lubricate both the motors and actuators. My shop manual has no numbers and does recommend lubrications, but does not recommend what type to use.

Do you have the factory service manual for your car? It should give views of which is which as far as left and right. Murray Park, www.cbodies.com should have the harness parts you need to put it back together properly. I've just used a multi purpose red grease which is usually what's in my grease gun. I haven't had to mess with any of my motors for a couple of years now and I use the hell out of them.

Thank you for your reply. The factory service manual does not tell me the number for the motors. Since I have never done one before and cannot see well inside the door panel, I don't want to have to do the job again. Murray Park may know when I ask for the harness parts.
Dropped by my auto electric man yesterday and he told me to try lubplate(sp)? He said in a jam, just use petroleum jelly. Anyway, off to the auto shop. Thanks again.

My FSM doesn't show the numbers as well and I'm not sure if my '69 parts numbers will help you..!? But I can look them up if you want.

According the lubricant, I used Liqui Moly 3553 Multipurpose Grease , but since you asked, this is from my FSM: "If there is no lubricant in the gear box, fill to top of gear with Mopar 2525035 Multi-Mileage Lubricant or Mopar 1064768 Lubri-plate." The parts numbers are not correct anymore, but if you search for the names, you will still find them.

You guys are great. Lubriplate is what the man at the auto electric shop mentioned and I forgot the name.

I am thinking that the driver's side motors are the same for the front and back. Same on the passenger side. I am going to see if that works.

Thank you for all of your help.

In my car, front and back had different gear box styles. Maybe because of the weight of the window it has to lift. and I also have different motors for left and right, so I assume all four are different. But that's on a '69 Imperial, maybe it's different on the early cars!

For the connectors, check http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/Default.aspx?CAT=TERM060&PCAT=61820#Categories

But I used modeln weatherpack connectors. They are waterproof!

My '67 has two different motors, rights and lefts.

Front and rear door motors - 2520566 right & 2520567 left, supersedes to 2808764 right & 2808763 left.

Quarter windows - 2520900 right & 2520901 left

Part numbers ending with an even number is for the right side and an odd number is for left.

Man, I could be in trouble. The ones that are in my car are 2520903. I can tell that they have been replaces since they have the yellow "salvage yard" writing on them. I have googled them and they are for a 66-69. That could be why the windows don't run up smoothly.

The thing is that the motors themselves never really changed between all the different years and models it was the attachment brackets that were specific to each car. I got a full set of motors from a mid '70s New Yorker and at least two of them are currently right at home in my '67 Imperial.

I am still having problems with the installation of theelectric windows in the 65 Chrysler. Theshop manual has all the detail as to the parts and adjustments. However, there is no detail of thespring. I have installed the driver’sside windows so many times that my skinned thumb is now healed. Many times I have pulled the electricalconnections apart or the spring drops out. The last time the window was in the up position and the spring droppedout. It has dropped out when it was in thedown position. I took pictures of theregulator and spring when I took it out of the car and it is installed the sameway as when I took it out. For C Bodieshas always been a great resource. I amhoping that someone can give me some detail and or tips to help me out. I got the take out and installation down to a15 minutes. I am willing to tryanything.

Here is a picture of a '65 C-body left front power window regulator.
P1000512.jpg

If the spring that keeps falling out is the one in the center of the regulator, then it isn't wound tight enough. The spring should be under tension even with the window in the up position.

P1000512.jpg

That helps greatly 65 500. My spring was way too loose. Will reinstall this AM and let you know how it goes. Thank you, Boyd

You probably need to wind it one turn, put it on the center slot and wind the hook end around to preload the spring maybe more.

Everything is running fine since I tightened the spring. But, now I am dealing with the window tilting rearward and binding. I am not sure if it is the window motor position on the regulator or something else. Spent a day on this, but I will not give up. Any tips are used and appreciated.

At this point I would make sure that everything is lubed up and moving freely as well as the rollers and tracks being in alignment.

I'm not sure on your tilting problem, it sounds like the glass is coming out of the channel. I doubt that it has anything to do with the window motor, unless the glass is hitting it, in which case you should have 10 million little pieces of glass any time now.

You are right 65 500. Took the mirror and lube out last evening. It looks like the black in the C Channel is missing. I do not know if it is glue or some rubber product. If I let the window slide up my hand and keep the glass in the channel it works great. Not sure what holds it in. There was nothing in the owners manual about it. Can I glue it?

Is this a back window in a 4 door sedan or hardtop or is this a coupe?

Back