Prepping A New Instrument Cluster

66/440

Reaction score
I have a new instrument cluster for my son's 66 Imperial thanks to @detmatt. I have a couple of questions before the install. First, I am wondering if the odometer/speedometer should be lubricated, if so what are some recommendations for lube types?
Secondly, has anyone had experience with servicing / cleaning these clocks? I would think after nearly 60 years it could stand a good cleaning and some lubrication. Experiences and ideas would be appreciated.

after a lot of forum searching used an oil called "Liquid Bearings" cause it allegedly wont gum up...stupidly expensive for a bottle that small

after a lot of forum searching used an oil called "Liquid Bearings" cause it allegedly wont gum up...stupidly expensive for a bottle that small
The bad thing is that it only takes a 1/2 drop from the pointed end of a straight pin to lube the spindle and ends of the odometer drums. As any excess will certainly attract dust, which is not desirable. Not sure of anything where the rear speed cup interfaces with the odometer drive. Usually a bronze bushing is what supports the rear speed cup, possibly with a bit of lube on it?

Back