Rear 11" x 2.5" Drum Brakes

Wellknowngundam

Reaction score
Well, I left the parking brake on for a couple of miles a few months back and ended up glazing my shoes. I feel like a dumbass but it is what it is. I had a bad transmission leak that popped up halfway through a 200 mile trip and its the first car that I've had to check the fluid level in nuetral.

I recently started to notice that the brakes were dragging and the pedal went almost all the way to the floor giving little resistance on the way but working VERY well once the pedal was almost to the floor. Once the pedal was released, it felt like the brakes were still engaged for a short time and the pedal seemed to slowly return to position.

I consulted the advice of my peers and the consensus seemed to be that I had air in the lines somewhere. Being one person and an amputee I decided to take it to the shop. Shop guy drives the car and he doesnt think the brakes need bleeding. Ok, whatever, I'll have those keys back please thank you.

I was able to get the car onto a lift and check all four drums and shoes. The fronts looked ok, one was a little snug so I backed it off. The rears, however, were glazed over like my uncle's eyes on christmas eve. I mean these things looked blacker than my step-mothers heart and almost shiny enough to see myself. I tried roughing them up but it didnt accomplish much.

Fast forward, I've bought some new shoes from O'smiley's had my drums turned, and they give me the wrong size shoes (2" instead of 2.5") Being a caveman, I installed them anyway, thinking they might work because, who knows, they might have figured out a way to do more with less. I also installed new springs and hardware, retaining only the old nails and adjuster stuff.

Now I've got brakes that go click click click, still don't stop efficiently, and some brand new drums and shoes on the way from summit. I've done some digging on the forum and read some other threads about rear brake issues with little to offer in the way of resolution so I'm not necessarily even asking a question here. I'm just adding to the pile of people with rear brake issues. Advice is appreciated and I'll update when I receive my new parts.

There isn't person here that hasn't flubbed up doing their brakes at one time of another.
If it wasn't so embarrassing, I'd tell you my brake story.
The good news is you're taking it in stride. ☺

Just remember this, ALL of us old timers started somewhere. I was lucky to have some Very patient people teach me when I first started turning wrenches. Welcome to the site, and never be afraid to ask.

O'Reilly's doesn't have the correct 2.5" rear shoes, regardless of what their website or system says. I ordered them once, received 2" in the 2.5" box. Thinking it was an error, we tried again with the same result. I got the correct size shoes from Auto Zone.

Back