removing aftermarket oil pressure gauge - question

70Tom

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but I wanted to ask to make sure. I am removing the aftermarket oil pressure gauge currently in my car. My question is about where the line/pressure fitting is inserted in my block. Once I remove it from the block, does a bolt just go in its place, or was possibly something else there.

Engine in question: 1969 440.

Thanks.

IMG_6794.JPG

hardware or plumbing supply will fix you up , don't forget some kind of sealant on the threads , teflon tape , rtv sealant , pipe dope , ect..... , or it will seep oil out around the threads .

Ah, ok. Was going to try NAPA, but maybe I'll just head to Home Depot.

....... or was possibly something else there. Engine in question: 1969 440.
View attachment 98225

Yes, there should be an oil pressure sending unit back there. Two different kinds, one for an "oil pressure gauge" in the dash cluster, the second type for an "oil pressure LIGHT" or "idiot light" in the cluster. Looks like the wire for your sender is just hanging there in your photo. You won't need the "plug" if the sender is missing, just install the sender where your aftermarket gauge was hooked up to your engine and connect wire.

Yes, there should be an oil pressure sending unit back there. Two different kinds, one for an "oil pressure gauge" in the dash cluster, the second type for an "oil pressure LIGHT" or "idiot light" in the cluster. Looks like the wire for your sender is just hanging there in your photo. You won't need the "plug" if the sender is missing, just install the sender where your aftermarket gauge was hooked up to your engine and connect wire.
Ah ok, great. I also want to hook the in dash temp gauge back up as well, but that might be for another day. Those cheap Summit gauges are junk.

OK, so got a sending unit and installed it. Thanks for the help with that. Now my problem is, it appears that the connector on the wire for the sending unit has been removed or fell off or something. Anyone have a pic of what it should look like? Or actually have one for sale?

Thanks.

If you got the correct sender it should look something like this, the wire in your picture appears to have a terminal on it, there is no housing and it slips over the nail head on the sender.

2015-10-31_006.jpg

Alan

Thanks. Yeah, it looks similar to the one on the left. It's a little bigger, but basically the same thing. Interesting--I can see it slipping on the head like that. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to figure out if that runs to something to plug into on the firewall. Some wires were bypassed and I'm thinking they were the ones for the temperature gauge and the oil pressure sensor. I want both the cheap aftermarket temp and oil pressure gauges out of there.

Thanks. Yeah, it looks similar to the one on the left. It's a little bigger, but basically the same thing. Interesting--I can see it slipping on the head like that. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to figure out if that runs to something to plug into on the firewall. Some wires were bypassed and I'm thinking they were the ones for the temperature gauge and the oil pressure sensor. I want both the cheap aftermarket temp and oil pressure gauges out of there.
There are two different senders, this one is for the idiot light, the larger one is for the gauge.

Alan

Back