Reproduction Woodgrain Project for 1973 Dodge Monaco Wagons - Update

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I checked with my friend Scott who is working on reproducing the woodgrain for a 1973 Dodge Monaco wagon. He is a pretty detailed guy and I am confident the project will turn out as close as possible to the original woodgrain. He is using my previously owned low mileage original black 73 Monaco wagon in the project as a template.

It looks like he will go ahead and reproduce some sets of this correct woodgrain in the near future mostly in response to requests from 2 customers. This may well be a one time effort so he asked me to inquire as to whether anyone else on this site might want to reserve a set. Given the miniscule volume, the price of a set is going to be high - he ballparks the cost to be at $2500/set. So if anyone feels like this is something they need and are willing to spend the money, he would make additional sets.

Just let me know if you are serious and I will pass along his contact information to you to work with him directly.

2004-01-01 00.00.09.jpg

A worthwhile effort, but I would hope he's going to save his work digtally which should allow it to be made in the future (as long as the materials are still made).

For example, I'd love to own one (again), but who knows if I will? I don't want to buy a set and have it sit on a shelf for X years. But if I needed a set now, I'd be in... figure how much material costs and how much is required and it's not an outrageous price.

A worthwhile effort, but I would hope he's going to save his work digtally which should allow it to be made in the future (as long as the materials are still made).

For example, I'd love to own one (again), but who knows if I will? I don't want to buy a set and have it sit on a shelf for X years. But if I needed a set now, I'd be in... figure how much material costs and how much is required and it's not an outrageous price.

The guy doing the reproduction is a pro when it comes to graphics and decals and reproduces them for A and B body cars too. It is likely he would save his work digitally, but from what I understand, most of the cost is in the materials from 3M and the length of the rolls that will be needed. I believe Scott's and his friend's sentiment is that it is unlikely they would do another run after this one since if there is any demand at all, it is probably at the peak now more than it will ever be. But I guess you could say "never say never". I was surprised at how low the price is actually, and doubt they are making much profit at all on these. My friend Scott is an avid Mopar guy and much of the drive for the project comes from appreciation of these wagons. He does Mopar restorations in general, and one of his customers has a 73 Monaco wagon that he is working on. It is another one that I used to own as well.

And you are correct, old decal stock shrinks with time and is not useable generally.

Last edited:
Steve, what do you think the time frame is on deciding? The original plan for mine was custom paint, similar to the yellow car that's been in all the Mopar magazines, but this has me seriously considering a stock restoration.

Thanks, Jeff

Steve, what do you think the time frame is on deciding? The original plan for mine was custom paint, similar to the yellow car that's been in all the Mopar magazines, but this has me seriously considering a stock restoration.

Thanks, Jeff

Hey Jeff, I would estimate a couple or three months to decide, but I can ask him for more specifics, as I usually talk with him once a month or so.

That's great news. Right now I'm on week five of a get things done around the house "vacation", and the discretionary money supply is getting a bit thin. I'll probably go back on the road in a week or so, and that will give me plenty of time to get the project kitty replenished. Now I just need to decide which way to go, but I'm leaning towards putting the wood back on.

Back