For Sale Seems to be a real TNT car !! 70 300 convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well optioned as this car is I wouldn't question the T&T power. Colors are a "love it-hate it". I like the yellow but a white top/interior would be much more attractive.

I don't get to concerned about the 350/375 HP thing. More of a status level to me. It looks to me that there is a close to equal balance of engines in the 300's.

In my limited time and experience, the E86 seems to be more of a big deal with C body based guys than people that came over from the B and E body side. I'm thinking it's because the B/E guys just expect the 375 HP as the 350 HP was not even an option in a GTX, R/T, 'Cuda etc all. It's just SOP to us. I can see where the 375 HP would be a desirable option and upgrade in a C body.

As well optioned as this car is I wouldn't question the T&T power. Colors are a "love it-hate it". I like the yellow but a white top/interior would be much more attractive.

I don't get to concerned about the 350/375 HP thing. More of a status level to me. It looks to me that there is a close to equal balance of engines in the 300's.

In my limited time and experience, the E86 seems to be more of a big deal with C body based guys than people that came over from the B and E body side. I'm thinking it's because the B/E guys just expect the 375 HP as the 350 HP was not even an option in a GTX, R/T, 'Cuda etc all. It's just SOP to us. I can see where the 375 HP would be a desirable option and upgrade in a C body.

I got into the E86 thing with police cars .. when I had the mistaken impression only FLEETS had them in their C's. They were common in smaller platforms in civi cars, like 69CoronetRT said, in my experience.

Then when i learned several C's had them, I bought every driveable, civi U code I could find/afford -- didnt care what color combo the car was. Usually non-Hurst, Chrysler-badged '69-'71's as Plymouth/Dodge E86 C's required "writin' checks my *** couldn't cash". I have never owned a '67-'69 L code civi car.

all that to say, the E86 "factory bad *** panache" and perceived non-fleet rarity meant something to me .. the performance difference E86 vs E85 was hardly discernible (I aint savvy enough to "feel" 25 hp in the seat of my pants) to me.

although .. the identically powered (eng/trans/rear end) police rigs "felt" different, not just due to suspension/body stiffness, but in old fashioned "giddyup" (we went through all that in another thread so I'll stop :))

Hope this "70 vert does well -- without documentation I see $20K as a challenging price-level for this car for the reasons meantioned about

Last edited:
I got into the E86 thing with police cars .. when I had the mistaken impression only FLEETS had them in their C's. They were common in smaller platforms in civi cars, like 69CoronetRT said, in my experience.

Then when i learned several C's had them, I bought every driveable, civi U code I could find/afford -- didnt care what color combo the car was. Usually non-Hurst, Chrysler-badged '69-'71's as Plymouth/Dodge E86 C's required "writin' checks my *** couldn't cash".

all that to say, the E86 "factory bad *** panache" and perceived non-fleet rarity meant something to me .. the performance difference E86 vs E85 was hardly discernible (I aint savvy enough to "feel" 25 hp in the seat of my pants) to me.

although .. the identically powered (eng/trans/rear end) police rigs "felt" different, not just due to suspension/body stiffness, but in old fashioned "giddyup" (we went through all that in another thread so I'll stop :))

Hope this "70 vert does well -- without documentation I see $20K as a challenging price-level for this car for the reasons meantioned about
thanks for the comments. do you still have all those cars you bought? got photos? I've been trying to document the TNT cars.

thanks for the comments. do you still have all those cars you bought? got photos? I've been trying to document the TNT cars.

so, you only want Chrysler-badged "TNT"s (no Dodge Magnums, No Plymouth Super commandos?). And no police cars?

if yes, i only had 7 (they were HARD to find) Civi TNTs -- All Chryslers, all NYers. ALL are gone.

I'd need to find the 35mm pics and scan for 5 of them (from 20 years ago). I do have digital photos of 2 of them. One was wrecked in 2015 BUT I only have wrecked photos of it that I'd rather not have live forever on the internet. The other one is posted in the Fusie forum police car thread I started last month. (tahitian brown '71 four door NY'er, sold it three years ago)

PM me with your email and will provide whatever I can find directly to you? also, we can chat a bit offline about your project if you dont mind?

so, you only want Chrysler-badged "TNT"s (no Dodge Magnums, No Plymouth Super commandos?). And no police cars?

if yes, i only had 7 (they were HARD to find) Civi TNTs -- All Chryslers, all NYers. ALL are gone.

I'd need to find the 35mm pics and scan for 5 of them (from 20 years ago). I do have digital photos of 2 of them. One was wrecked in 2015 BUT I only have wrecked photos of it that I'd rather not have live forever on the internet. The other one is posted in the Fusie forum police car thread I started last month. (tahitian brown '71 four door NY'er, sold it three years ago)

PM me with your email and will provide whatever I can find directly to you? also, we can chat a bit offline about your project if you dont mind?
sounds good, interested in the others too

When I see sunburn spots on the instrument panel pad (not the typical oozing oil spots) and the wrong headrests, it makes me wonder a bit about the real mileage too. But the seats look pretty original and would probably be torn some, especially around the seat back release knob if the mileage were higher. I personally would not like a light yellow convertible, and I would definitely take off the rub strips.

Having a HP 440 in any MoPar is a good thing. It's just rare to have them in a C-body, which makes them more desirable.

The TNT, Super Commando, and the Magnum HP engines were the highest performance options for 67-71 c bodies, so they are sought after by collectors. Especially, the 70 6BBL GT. Not to mention the 4-speed optioned c-bodies..that's "holy grail" territory.

An HP C-body will always command a higher premium. That being said, a "standard" 440 rated at 350 horses, is nothing to sneze at! Those are GM and FORD, muscle car numbers,...standard on a Chrysler.

Hi all,

Talked to this guy, he’s 72 and ready to sell it. It was originally the dealer’s wife’s car, then his Uncle bought it, then he got it. Hasn’t been tagged since 98. Said it’s all original except glass packs. He said there were “two seams” in the quarter panel where there is a little cracking (?) asked him about underneath and said he would just say it had some surface rust only. He had it detailed recently, but still refers to it as a “driver” so I think he’s a pretty straight shooter. He said he’s had a few calls and a few offers. He did say he was firm on his price when I asked him. That’s about all I got.

thx sauterd.

well. "firm" on the price and "soft" on info/documentation to confirm what he has usually means he might have that car for a few more years.

not dissin seller or car .. just opining on the deal.

hope it finds a good home in any event.

Not on a convertible; because I believe 'verts should have light colored interiors... BUT I actually love Light Yellow/Dark Green combos. I would otherwise have no use for a green interior.

One of my favorite C's would be a '72 Fury Gran Coupe, Y2/F8. 440, buckets.

Wouldn't mind a '72 Satellite Sebring Plus, done the same way!

I really love this car, and I try sell my 69 vert to partially finance it. All those fancy options, under one hat. Amazing! I don't see power trunk (but might still be there), bumper guards, cruise, and road wheels, but apart from that, it looks fully optioned. And with the relatively low mileage, it's perfect in my Euro-eyes. I already got someone interested in my 69'.. for around 5k.. it probably won't happen, but the "dreaming part" feels good too.. I still have a set of NOS tail 70' lenses, and as I don't feel like selling them, I'd better get a car for them :)

PS: Sorry abt the duplicate post.. I was skimming the first words of recent posts, and.. and obviously failed!

i can only see driver side but car still has that heat-riser "thing" that normally rots away .. so i cant see that "humpback" HP manifold. shape.
That is an HP manifold. The 70-71 has the heat stove, and it does not run to the #1 cyl on an HP, it does on a log manifold. I can see that it pretty well in that pic.

I've had 1 TNT and 2 E85 cars, and IMO the TNT pulls noticeably harder in top end and revs higher. The 350hp version has the same cam as the 383 2-barrel.

well. "firm" on the price and "soft" on info/documentation to confirm what he has usually means he might have that car for a few more years.
Very true.

My gut says that mileage could be accurate. The drivers doorpanel, armrest pad, battery cable ends and some other things are too good for 140k. Is it pristine around the detailed edges? No, but those 40k could've been put on when the car was newer, and not considered as collectible. And that dashpad thing could be due to age and sunlight, not mileage. I had 2 cars with ~80-90k miles that had that same spotting at the corners.

IMO that's maybe a $15k car as not desirable color combo, and needs more detailing/polishing to go higher. But hard to get near $20 even if all perfect, I don't see many on ebay actually selling near that price point.

That is an HP manifold. The 70-71 has the heat stove, and it does not run to the #1 cyl on an HP, it does on a log manifold. I can see that it pretty well in that pic.

I've had 1 TNT and 2 E85 cars, and IMO the TNT pulls noticeably harder in top end and revs higher. The 350hp version has the same cam as the 383 2-barrel.

thanks. i was pretty sure it was HP manifold, but i never paid close attention to placement of the "heat stove".

i don't work on cars beyond the routine stuff ..oil changes, fuses, and such. BUT, my mechanical ignorance aside, 25 HP feels like MORE than that in a E86 car vs an E85 car, when i thought I really shouldnt be able to feel it.

I guess comparing torque/HP curves would show "where" (RPM) power gets delivered can help me understand the "feeling" I can discern :)

So I agree with you and others who noted this in other threads -- these U/L code C's are STRONG runnin' cars. something that big, weighs that much .. i called 'em NFL o-linemen, 350 lbs with outside line backer speed - freaks of nature.

Anyway, based on your observation on others, and looking at my own cars, yes I feel confident this IS a TNT car - as I did when I first saw it. which was part of why sauterd posted it in the first place.

My gut says that mileage could be accurate. The drivers doorpanel, armrest pad, battery cable ends and some other things are too good for 140k. Is it pristine around the detailed edges? No, but those 40k could've been put on when the car was newer, and not considered as collectible. And that dashpad thing could be due to age and sunlight, not mileage. I had 2 cars with ~80-90k miles that had that same spotting at the corners.

IMO that's maybe a $15k car as not desirable color combo, and needs more detailing/polishing to go higher. But hard to get near $20 even if all perfect, I don't see many on ebay actually selling near that price point.

yeah, it MIGHT be a 40K mile car. I'd need eyes on it and pieces of paper to help me conclude one way or another IF i were a buyer ready to invest time/money in due diligence it. there's too much conflicting data to really tell.

I agree with your price assessment that its likely a 5 digit car, but would be challenged to have the first digit a "2" even if in perfect shape. i just wish it were marketed more comprehensively (pics and papers).

But, as is, even to get to 5 digits, I'd need what seller hasnt provided yet, and may not ever provide, if I was a buyer. Heck, who knows, as we opine on it, somebody is standing in front of it with a wad of cash :) . I wish him good luck ..seriously.

I just hope it finds a new caretaker -- at whatever price/to wherever it goes.

Yes, and when I said 15k I wasn't really meaning I'd want to pay that, I was just more trying to reflect my impression of what other people would say. Does that make it expert opinion??? :D

IMO it needs Road Wheels and thinner whitewalls, figure out the body side molding, and in spite of the green it would be a really sweet car with all those options.

I thought vent windows were only for non-AC cars, or is only that roofed cars without AC?
25 HP feels like MORE than that in a E86 car vs an E85 car, when i thought I really shouldnt be able to feel it.
Yes, 25 hp shouldn't seem like much in such a big car, My 350hp cars made a good lurch with a stab of the gas pedal (on drivers fender). My TNT actually seemed to have a little less there (up until maybe 20mph, just to put data on it) but from opening the secondaries at around 30, it would pick up both fenders about 2-3" and was almost still holding it up until about 90. Never took it higher than that, no real need to. But some of that is from mempry too. If I had that car again I might think 'what a slouch'.:poke:

Yes, 25 hp shouldn't seem like much in such a big car, My 350hp cars made a good lurch with a stab of the gas pedal (on drivers fender). My TNT actually seemed to have a little less there (up until maybe 20mph, just to put data on it) but from opening the secondaries at around 30, it would pick up both fenders about 2-3" and was almost still holding it up until about 90. Never took it higher than that, no real need to. But some of that is from mempry too. If I had that car again I might think 'what a slouch'.:poke:

:). Im lucky I can do the comparison today and U's seem "stronger" to me (i could be biased so take what i said with a grain of salt) than T's from 0-90mph. I have no experience with them beyond 90 mph, but they BOTH feel there's more in 'em to give .. and when my foot feels heavy, I chicken out and back off.

Yeah, I own newer/faster cars than my old iron. I'm sure there even are "quicker" four bangers today that would embarrass my mighty E86's at launch AND can do 160mph. Technology marches on.

AAh, but vs. their contemporaries .. the U/L C-body sleds are magnificent, factory built beasts. And the K/T cars, as has been mentioned, are ALSO standout performers with their "standard" mills.

love that old iron.

Making comparisons between the power of an E85 vs. E86 in the various speed ranges should also take into account that E85s have 2.7 axle ratios generally while the E86s have 3.2s generally. Also the dual exhaust system with less restriction on the E86 helps. Thus, the E85s tend to jump on initial acceleration while the E86s rely on revs and hitting the power band earlier. To me it is more of a different "feel" on launch rather than any real significant advantage.

Don't know if many recall even the yellow 1970 SFGT 6 pack that might still be up for sale (light yellow and rusty) that was reviewed in a magazine article back in about 1969-70 when it was new, the testers of even that car concluded they were pretty tame compared to the hype or at least what they were expecting. The reality is that just about any turbo 4 cylinder car today will probably beat even the 6 pack in just about any driving situation - like it was said above, technology marches on...................

[QUOTE="fury fan,
I thought vent windows were only for non-AC cars, or is only that roofed cars without AC?[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back