For Sale Seems to be a real TNT car !! 70 300 convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ventless door glass was standard on all auto temp 2 doors.

Not exactly, at least for 1970 and 1971 ventless side glass was standard for all 2 door hardtops. The only 2 doors with vent windows were all the convertibles in 1970.

Last edited:
Yes, and when I said 15k I wasn't really meaning I'd want to pay that, I was just more trying to reflect my impression of what other people would say.

Very confused about this one.. :wideyed:

As "other people", I agree with the prices mentioned by Fury fan.. I'd pay the 20k if it was in "perfect cosmetic and fully operable condition", but very few 47 year old car are "perfect", so I'd need to fly over, and expect the car, before forking over 20k based on 14 relatively small photos. This would ad around 1½ - 2k (and a lovely experience), to the deal, not to mention lost business while away.

Although I am in love, (option-love perhaps), I would still need better, more, and larger pictures before I jump on it without personal inspection. I would probably want to pay 12k, but end up offering 15k because I'd LOVE to own it...

If it had been displayed as, and in about the same condition, as the brown 71 Imperial we saw here on FCBO about 4-6 times in 2016, I think I would have jumped on it.. But, it's not.. and it's been off the road for NINETEEN years, and I see missing (rare, and undesirable) trim, a damaged rear bumper (Right side), badly sun-damaged dash, and several other cosmetic issues. If the car has an equal amount of non visual electrical, and mechanical issues, and the fact that the gentleman selling the car, is 72, it could prove to be yet another obstacle. Some seniors can be hard to negotiate with.

A completely different thing is, that I would not be able to get my investment back at these prices. A white, fully loaded 69 vert (even including dash speakers, sentinel light, and bumper guards) was advertised here in Denmark a few years back, and was so for over a year, priced at about 16k.. registered, taxed, and ready to jump in and drive.. but NO SALE. After lowering the price several times, it finally went to Sweden for about 12.500 (Please note here, that included in this amount was about 4300 in Danish registration Tax.. which was paid, but "lost" when exported, as there is no refund for tax paid on classic vehicles here). So, if I did jump on this yellow 70, it had to be a car I'd either keep "forever", or loose a pretty chunk on, when resold.

As for the TNT question, I remember my Hurst as quite a lot more powerful than my plain 350HP 70 300.. even though it had many more miles on it at the time. I't would happily spin both wheels on dry tarmac, accelerating in a straight line, while the 350HP would only engage in "wheel spinning", if accelerating hard through a sharp curve.

PS: On one of the trunk-shots, I see what seems to be one thick wire (possible two wires in a sock, for the lock actuator), and one thin wire go into the deck lid.. Am I right to assume, that this can only mean that we can ad power trunk to the already exorbitant list of goodies?

PW Trunk.jpg

Yes, you can. It may be coded for the towing package which gets you the trunk dress up and Vacuum trunk release among other things. I presumed it had the vacuum trunk release once I saw the trunk dress up

I'd also suggest a closer look to Dutchman Panel and left rear quarter Panel, left Panel could maybe replaced at some Point in the distant past.

With the uncertainty as to the real condition of the car overall and not knowing exactly everything it will need, I would just make the guy your best offer that you feel comfortable with given what you do know, and let it ride. Given also the yellow color, I don't think even one of the Germans would pay $20K for that car because even they do not buy convertibles at his price unless they have 300 photos of the car and a dependable observer who they know and trust and who they would send to find all the flaws upon inspection. It shouldn't take that long for the seller to realize that he should take your offer. You would just have to be patient and make sure he has your contact information readily available.

I'd also suggest a closer look to Dutchman Panel and left rear quarter Panel, left Panel could maybe replaced at some Point in the distant past.

It is generally a given that the dutchman panels will have problems on both ends where they join to the quarter panels. The constant wiggling of those not so strong convertible bodies really stresses those seams "bigly", so that almost every one of them has had or needs work on those seams.

I agree, but if there's been collision repair done you can almost be pretty sure the Standards especially for rust protection and sometimes General workmanship will be even lower than from the factory. Been in collision repair and Body work in General for few years and have seen some interesting stuff.
I specifically remember a quarter Panel that had to come out once again after another accident and you could literally peel it off with a pair of pliers, so bad were the welds. That's one reason I prefer untouched originals.

It shouldn't take that long for the seller to realize that he should take your offer. You would just have to be patient and make sure he has your contact information readily available.

Thanks! That sounds like really good advise....! For starters, I wrote him an e-mail..!

PS: If anyone is bored near Hockessin, I will pay for gas and "camera wear".. ;-)

It's in Delaware, about an hour from me. I thought about tire kicking, but don't have the time this week. I'll let you know if I can swing it next weekend, weather permitting.

It's in Delaware, about an hour from me. I thought about tire kicking, but don't have the time this week. I'll let you know if I can swing it next weekend, weather permitting.

That would be.. "beyond fantastic".. I will be following the development on that particular tire kicking, with great vigor... :-D

Rejoinders anyone? Stan?

I sincerely hope the senior C-ppl's know what I meant here.. of course it was not my intention to offend anyone. I respect those who built what most take for granted, few appreciate, and many seem to try to destroy. Hell, I will be a senior myself in a not so distant future, and will most likely be a drag when it comes to selling my few C's... :-D

and the fact that the gentleman selling the car, is 72, it could prove to be yet another obstacle. Some seniors can be hard to negotiate with.
Another factor with old folks that have owned something for a long time - they tend to see things as they were years ago, and not see the degradation over time. It's still as 'like brand new' as it was in 1974.

Making comparisons between the power of an E85 vs. E86 in the various speed ranges should also take into account that E85s have 2.7 axle ratios generally while the E86s have 3.2s generally. Also the dual exhaust system with less restriction on the E86 helps. Thus, the E85s tend to jump on initial acceleration while the E86s rely on revs and hitting the power band earlier. To me it is more of a different "feel" on launch rather than any real significant advantage.

Don't know if many recall even the yellow 1970 SFGT 6 pack that might still be up for sale (light yellow and rusty) that was reviewed in a magazine article back in about 1969-70 when it was new, the testers of even that car concluded they were pretty tame compared to the hype or at least what they were expecting. The reality is that just about any turbo 4 cylinder car today will probably beat even the 6 pack in just about any driving situation - like it was said above, technology marches on...................

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on the turbo 4 cylinder VS 6BBL comment!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on the turbo 4 cylinder VS 6BBL comment!

I recently rode in a Focus RS, and there is no question that it would blow the doors off my 1969 Hemi Road Runner that I used to own. So maybe not just any 4 cylinder turbo, but at least some of them.

1470943157195.jpg

Unfortunatly I have to agree with Steve, too.

I have several Hemi&440+6 B-bodys. As long as they are factory stock with regular street tires: No chance as most of those modern turbos do have AWD, too and just pull off from the traffic light while you just smoke tires.

Just lately got cooked by a Mercedes CLA 45 AMG. 4 cylinder with 360HP. Makes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

And it was not a tight race..........

Carsten

i kinda started this old iron new iron thing. i respect all views, but my actual experience lines up with fc7_plumcrazy, saforwardlook, fury fan, et. al.

1960's-1970's stock, "top-dog" big block mopars are NO match for SOME modern four-bangers 45 years on now, let alone vs. the beastly Hellcats/Vipers, etc. Match up with a Hellcat with my '71 Hemi Cuda and I KNOW what will happen.

My Dads '51 Buick was NO MATCH for my '71 Polara E86, his Dad's 32 Ford couldnt touch the '51 Buick, and so on.

that Mercedes AMG with 360HP 'net" was roughly 500HP "gross" in 1970. that, plus tires, weight/power ratio, AWD, mpg, on and on .. today's cars are just superior.

Some new stuff ain't even that pretty and I'd never buy one .. but still they can beat the socks off my factory E86s.

doesnt effect my love of the old iron one bit .. still cooler than the majority of the new stuff .. but that's just me. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back