For Sale Seems to be a real TNT car !! 70 300 convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4335540290_668f9caff0_m.jpg

Last edited:
...My 350hp cars made a good lurch with a stab of the gas pedal (on drivers fender). My TNT actually seemed to have a little less there (up until maybe 20mph, just to put data on it) but from opening the secondaries at around 30, it would pick up both fenders about 2-3" and was almost still holding it up until about 90. Never took it higher than that, no real need to. But some of that is from memory too. If I had that car again I might think 'what a slouch'.:poke:

That brings back lovely memories: Back in the day, I took my old man's 350hp T-code (with a 3.23) as high as it would go on several occasions. In fact, I think I did it whenever I could. It would keep going pretty strong to about 100 or so. Beyond that, the forthcoming air would start flabbing the edges of the hood ever so slightly, and the acceleration slowed down considerably. At about 110 or so the 440 started to sound exasperated, as if it was running out of air. Reaching the top of 125 or so took considerably longer, but it would always make it, given a straightaway of a mile or more. With Koni shocks, and fairly new Michelin radials it would go straight just fine at that speed. - I never repeated this with my own NYer however. After all, it was over 30 years older, as I was, too. Besides, the odds of getting caught speeding have risen considerably in the meanwhile.

Now I'm wondering if I should take my project to an airfield once I'm finished with it... just for old times' sake.

Now I'm wondering if I should take my project to an airfield once I'm finished with it... just for old times' sake.

German Autobahn in an unlimited Zone preferably in the evening will do as well.

German Autobahn in an unlimited Zone preferably in the evening will do as well.

I always preferred daylight and clear blue skies... even more now as I'm over 50 and my night vision is only perhaps 1/3 of what it used to be. - Come to think of it, it would be scary on a congested modern Autobahn anyways; I'd have to keep my left eye on the rear view mirror and my right eye on the car next to me, 20 yards away, at 120mph. - To the Autobahn, I think I'll take my daily driver instead. I'd feel much more secure. But on an airfield, with a two mile straightaway, I'd love to listen to the 440 howl again, and feel the old boat float.

We have Autobahn segments in my neighborhood that are pretty empty in the evening or early morning hours.

While many "New cars" will out perform our older no replacement for displacement girls my opinion is it takes a "Real Driver" to handle one. In the age or autonomous safety controls and a bizzilion airbags it takes a "Real Driver" to handle these monsters at speed. That's part of the reason these kids don't know how to drive manuals and older cars. Imagine a P51 Ace climbing into the cockpit of a Stealth Fighter - he could fly it but would he want too? And could the Stealth pilot fly the P51 without all the computer assist? Example just for comparison...I'm quite sure our AF boys can do both lol

that Mercedes AMG with 360HP 'net" was roughly 500HP "gross" in 1970. that, plus tires, weight/power ratio, AWD, mpg, on and on .. today's cars are just superior.
And let's also consider that most of these modern cars have 5-9 speeds in their AT gearbox, too, while we have 3 or 4 (99% of us).

And these smooth-shifting ATs have the characteristics of both ATs (HP and luxury car) from days of old - they shift fast, and also smooth. Old-school hydraulic-controlled transmissions had lots of mush tuned into them to keep things smooth, and during that time of overlap during a shift there was a reduction in torque transferred to the driveline. 2 clutches/bands were fighting each other for control for 1-2 seconds.

ECUs 'know' that the best shift is a fairly fast one to reduce clutch friction heat, and they also are programmed to follow an 'ideal' shift profile, looking at many parameters of input/output speeds, throttle setting, vehicle speed (and much more). The goal of that profile is to keep the torque delivered to the output shaft constant during the shift. This gives a much smoother hand-off of torque from the off-going clutch to the on-coming clutch. Keeps clutch heat to a minimum, and the constant torque also maximizes usage of the engine torque coming in. And the ECU is constantly watching and adjusting during each and every shift - it doesn't just follow a pattern - it is modifying each shift while it occurs.

And so while that car sitting next to you on the street may only have a NA 4cyl of 175hp, it's got 2 or 3 gears to keep it optimized for every 1 gear we have. Even a Toyota Corrolla will surprise at what it can do.

Wasn't looking for it, but just stumbled on it at the Drydock. Most times this is reality for old vs new.

Don't need more than 4.
These 1.1 litre, 8,000 rpm hand grenades have a power band narrower than a Liberal's mind thus these 11 speeds are necessary.
We need to return to cubic inches for the best efficiency.

Stan, I agreed with you, thought something with that many gears would be shifting constantly (like an old Detroit Diesel), until I started riding in a few modern cars. they don't feel busy to me.

And most modern engines have a wide powerband. VVT, variable intake manifolds, ECU adjustment of ign timing all add up to a wider/flatter powerband.

Stan, I agreed with you, thought something with that many gears would be shifting constantly (like an old Detroit Diesel), until I started riding in a few modern cars. they don't feel busy to me.

And most modern engines have a wide powerband. VVT, variable intake manifolds, ECU adjustment of ign timing all add up to a wider/flatter powerband.
My new car has a zillion speed. I can't detect the shifts. Feels like an electric motor. Mindless driving. Great for when you're concentrating on the 814 function infotainment center.
When I drive my NYB, it feels like the TorqueFlite and my brain is connected telepathically. I can keep the engine in the sweet spot just by pressure on the accelerater pedal. My car and I are one.
There is no sweet spot on my new car.

Now that I understand. But you realize the sweet spot in a NYB or any old car is like a very wide 6, whereas a newer car can electronically try to stay at a very narrow 10?

But you realize the sweet spot in a NYB or any old car is like a very wide 6, whereas a newer car can electronically try to stay at a very narrow 10?
Of course I do. I drove a semi all my life. And I spent 90% of that time shifting every 2.9 seconds keeping the diesel in it's 1200-1500 rpm "sweet spot".
Ever pull 100,000 lbs with a 235 hp Maxidyne hooked to a wide ratio 5 (!) speed? Ughhhh... :mad:

Never did that, but I did once pull a 300lb lady off a barstool with a 6oz donut. :D

I was never a driver, but as a shop repairman, I did once get an Econodyne engine running backwards once (I presume that's what it was, it was in an MR cabover garbage truck) . You had to find whatever gear that POS would allow you, roll it a foot or 2 and try to grab 1st or reverse when gear teeth and shifter slop lined up. So I did that while parked in a divot outside the shop door's cement apron. The only gear I could get was one to climb the divot, and it wasn't enthusiastic about it (wasn't 1st gear!), and started to stall. I clutched in/out-throttled/clutched quickly, but it was already starting to roll the opposite direction of the gear, so when the clutch grabbed it popped the engine into backward rotation. Took perfect timing (and I may not be describing all those events perfectly, it's been 20 years).

Took me a few minutes, and then some 'gruff intervention' from the boss who walked by, to figure out why every attempt after that into 1, 3 or 5 started moving me backwards. I wonder what ECU code that would cause in a modern truck???

That truck had 352k on it when I started that job 5 years earlier, and the odometer was broken, so who knows how many overall, at least 400-450 I'm sure. That's not much for OTR, but for city miles that's a million. But typical for a Mack, they lasted about twice as long as the Ford L8000s in the fleet.

Back to the subject: this '70 300 TNT... I really like it! The only thing it needs are a set of correct tires, and a set of Road Wheels. WOW!

Back to the subject: this '70 300 TNT... I really like it! The only thing it needs are a set of correct tires, and a set of Road Wheels. WOW!

Me too.. (really like it).. and of course, I agree abt the road wheels.. even got a set waiting, (minus two damaged center ornaments)

The choice of options on these lovely cars, always has me wondering. This one is no exception.. If this car was ordered with all that stuff, why wasn't cruise on the list..? Forgot to tick it off? And if it was ordered as a dealer / demo car, why not with a metallic paint job?. Anyway, I am interested in this car, and is currently communicating with the gentleman selling. Our next communication is supposed to be tomorrow. I will share whatever pictures I get here.

As expected, I have some concerns... Here are some of them:
  • Delaware is in the rust belt / Pictures on CL are small, and does not reveal anything !
  • Hockessin is near the ocean (full of saltwater) / and the pictures are still very small.
  • Looks like there's a decent sized dent in the PS side, of the rear bumper. (Which is extremely expensive to fix here)
  • Dent in the driver door?
  • How much of all the "option-stuff" is even operable, after being parked for 19 years - Probably not many.
  • Recovering the sun damaged dash pad will cost around 1000 USD (At RS Autoline in Bodafors SWE, based on the quote they gave me of "Kroner" 5000,- for my 68 Charger dash pad, which HAS less than half the surface.. and when I asked if it was Danish or Swedish kroner, he never replied.. so I ordered on form Classic industries, (who gave me free oversize shippin, who promptly gave me free over size shipping).
  • Missing side trim, (Will have me hunting for trim, which I don't even like much in the first place..)
  • If I buy this beauty, my last free garage space (the lift space) is gone = moving cars around every time I need to use my lift, and finishing all repair-projects same day

I am not going to get enthusiastic, until I hear from the seller again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back