Stromberg/Bendix WWC.

RW74

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm looking for information on the WWC.
What is the air cleaner opening diameter for the cleaner housing base?

Also, if anyone has ever seen anyone put a wwc on a 318 engine, I could use the pointers.

I'm not sure of the "inches", but it is the same as the '70+ Holley 2210-family 2bbls used on 400 2bbls. Same as the BBD 1.5 2bbls, too, used before 1970 KEY POINT, "BBD 1.5" which is different from the smaller BBDs used on LA318s.

What engine size and model year are you curious about?

CBODY67

WCFB was "4 bbl". As in "Will Carter Four Barrel".

Doesn’t a WWC have a 4” throat?”
Thank you.
I've just finished milling the cast bronze adapter to fit the intake manifold and am trying to line up the lesser parts before getting the carburetor.

I used a new WWC flange gasket as a template for the adapter.

The engine is from a 1985 Dodge pickup and was remanufactured.

I hate Edelbrock and Holley, personally, and I do not want to use a Carter.

I've never had issues with Stromberg.

The BBD 4barrel on my 383 is a bit small, so I decided on the largest V8 2barrel that I could find, which is a WWC.

Last edited:
Doesn’t a WWC have a 4” throat?”
Thank you.
I've just finished milling the cast bronze adapter to fit the intake manifold and am trying to line up the lesser parts before getting the carburetor.

I used a new WWC flange gasket as a template for the adapter.

The engine is from a 1985 Dodge pickup and was remanufactured.

I hate Edelbrock and Holley, personally, and I do not want to use a Carter.

I've never had issues with Stromberg.

The BBD 4barrel is a bit small, so I decided on the largest V8 2barrel that I could find, which is a WWC.
WCFB was "4 bbl". As in "Will Carter Four Barrel".
WWC 2 barrel as in a 1967 Plymouth Bevedere 383 2 barrel Stromberg.

The original engine block is cracked and, until I can set it up to be re-cast, I have to substitute within a specific budget.

Actually, Rochester built a good bit of 1.69" throttle bore 2bbls starting in 1957 Pontiacs and included 1972 Chevy 350s. The 500 cfm Holley 2bbls used the same throttle bore diameter. The Chevy 350s I drove with those big Rochester 2bbls ran almost as good as a 350 with a QJet on it, so I was impressed with that. The Doug Roe Rochester book explains how to tweak them to diable some emissions calibrations and other little things from the middle 1970s, too. If I wanted a "bigger" 2bbl, one of them would be my choice. Same base gasket bolt pattern as the 1.56" 2bbls, AFAIK. Just need to enlarge the flange holes in the manifold.

From my experiences with the WWC3-262 on our '66 Newport 383, they were all prone to air horn deformation from an over-tight air cleaner wing nut. When that happened, it compromised the sealing of the rear of the float bowl AND the one vac passage to the power valve. I used two air horn gaskets to build a gasket that might compress enough to compensate for "the warp". Carter BBDs did not have this issue due to the way their air cleaner stud was attached via that "thick wire" holder.

I did like the look and engineering on the WWC, though. But the new replacement Holley 2210 from a 1970 383 ran better and got better highway fuel economy on that car. Holley/Chrysler also had a "fix kit" for the air horn warpage that worked.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Actually, Rochester built a good bit of 1.69" throttle bore 2bbls starting in 1957 Pontiacs and included 1972 Chevy 350s. The 500 cfm Holley 2bbls used the same throttle bore diameter. The Chevy 350s I drove with those big Rochester 2bbls ran almost as good as a 350 with a QJet on it, so I was impressed with that. The Doug Roe Rochester book explains how to tweak them to diable some emissions calibrations and other little things from the middle 1970s, too. If I wanted a "bigger" 2bbl, one of them would be my choice. Same base gasket bolt pattern as the 1.56" 2bbls, AFAIK. Just need to enlarge the flange holes in the manifold.

From my experiences with the WWC3-262 on our '66 Newport 383, they were all prone to air horn deformation from an over-tight air cleaner wing nut. When that happened, it compromised the sealing of the rear of the float bowl AND the one vac passage to the power valve. I used two air horn gaskets to build a gasket that might compress enough to compensate for "the warp". Carter BBDs did not have this issue due to the way their air cleaner stud was attached via that "thick wire" holder.

I did like the look and engineering on the WWC, though. But the new replacement Holley 2210 from a 1970 383 ran better and got better highway fuel economy on that car. Holley/Chrysler also had a "fix kit" for the air horn warpage that worked.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
My only issue with Rochester is the same as my issues with Holley: vacuum operated acceleration kick-down.

My only issue with Rochester is the same as my issues with Holley: vacuum operated acceleration kick-down.
Part-thorttle kickdown via vac modulator valve, why is that an issue? The vac modulator is not a part of the carburetor. As all aftermarket carburetors have the "Chevy" linkage hookup, just add the Chrysler bracket for the kickdown rod to it.

CBODY67

Part-thorttle kickdown via vac modulator valve, why is that an issue? The vac modulator is not a part of the carburetor. As all aftermarket carburetors have the "Chevy" linkage hookup, just add the Chrysler bracket for the kickdown rod to it.

CBODY67
I don't even need to bother with it if I'm working with a Stromberg.

Look. Holley and Rochester are too common. I honestly don't know why anyone would want an Edelbrock.

The two most reliable brands that I have worked with, and have a working knowledge of, are Stromberg and Carter.

You can't convince me to use anything else.

Also a multi-97 setup has been done so much that it's just copy-cat fever to do it.

I have entertained the idea of running dual WWCs or dual BBDs, but I don't think that the headache is worth it.

The only engine that I'd even run dual carbs on is my 265 straight 6.

That engine already has 6 single barrel Strombergs. It's a static run show engine and nothing more.

Last edited:
NOT trying to influence you at all, just offering other options not mentioned.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

NOT trying to influence you at all, just offering other options not mentioned.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Oh! Thanks. Sorry for getting a bit abrasive. I deal with people who say "just do this instead" more often than I care to think about.

I have particular ways of doing things that people seem to get annoyed with how (antiquated) they are.

Back