Tank Removal?

brownbuick

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pull the tank out of the wife's '72 Fury wagon to clean and inspect it, now that the new 408 is in place. Is there anything I need to know about pulling it? I've pulled dozens of regular sedan/coupe tanks over the years, but I don't know if there's anything special I need to watch for or disconnect up top on the wagon. Or, is there some kind of access under the plastic interior panel? Thanks.

Wish I could help, I too have never pulled a wagon tank but pulled my share of convertible/ hardtop tanks. I would imagine not many of us have

Three words...
Factory Service Manual

Alan
Yes, I had one for a C-body, but gave it to the guy who got my 440 Monaco, trying to help him out. Money's tight and I haven't bought another one. Wife just got laid off work as well, so I'm just not going to worry about it right now. I'd still like to get the car together because we use these for daily transportation.

FSM is overrated . It helps, but I have found more often than not it has minimal help to those of us not in a factory authorized service center

FSM is overrated . It helps, but I have found more often than not it has minimal help to those of us not in a factory authorized service center
Don't get me wrong, even when I resort to the FSM I sometimes find myself cussing the engineers out.

Alan

Yeah, normally I just use the book for torque specs. As a former shop owner I've worked on a couple thousand cars without a manual, though I'll never pretend to be an expert. In the case of the wagon tank the top of it's way up inside that well where you can't see anything, so I didn't want to go pulling on it and break some hidden bracket or something. That's why I wondered if there was an access under the interior panel.

The factory/dealer parts book specific to your car is also a great help when used in conjunction with the FSM. Originals can be pricy but several literature dealers offer them on CD's now.

Hearz ah few thoughtz. The filler neck will not be much longer then 6" or 8" and held in place to the quarter panel by 3, 1/2" metal screwz. Under that will be a rubber donut that holds the filler neck into the fuel cell. remove the 3 screwz and pry on the 3 "wingz" to get the filler tube up from the donut JUST AH BIT. Now, If you do not have a spray can of Brake Clean go get one!!! Then with the hollow plastic tube attached squirt brake Clean around the inner edge of the donut where it touches the filler tube. Then twist and pull to remove the filler tube 'til it's out. (More then one application of Break Clean might be required to complete your task 'cuz the stuff evaporatez pretty quick). Now to the bottom for the 2 support straps. First, Jack up the whole car by the differential so you can get two jack standz under the frame rails in front of the wheels. Remove the left wheel after dropping the floor jack and then Impact the nutz off the J boilz if you can, but if you're forced to cut them borrow ah bolt cutterz. NO sawz-all or cut off wheelz here!!. J boltz are cheap. Remove the fuel line and the sending unit wire from the tank and drop the tank out. BTW, There might be a stone shield cover protecting the tank too. No big deal, It will be held in place with ah few metal screwz.... Piece-ah-cake, Jer

Hearz ah few thoughtz. The filler neck will not be much longer then 6" or 8" and held in place to the quarter panel by 3, 1/2" metal screwz. Under that will be a rubber donut that holds the filler neck into the fuel cell. remove the 3 screwz and pry on the 3 "wingz" to get the filler tube up from the donut JUST AH BIT. Now, If you do not have a spray can of Brake Clean go get one!!! Then with the hollow plastic tube attached squirt brake Clean around the inner edge of the donut where it touches the filler tube. Then twist and pull to remove the filler tube 'til it's out. (More then one application of Break Clean might be required to complete your task 'cuz the stuff evaporatez pretty quick). Now to the bottom for the 2 support straps. First, Jack up the whole car by the differential so you can get two jack standz under the frame rails in front of the wheels. Remove the left wheel after dropping the floor jack and then Impact the nutz off the J boilz if you can, but if you're forced to cut them borrow ah bolt cutterz. NO sawz-all or cut off wheelz here!!. J boltz are cheap. Remove the fuel line and the sending unit wire from the tank and drop the tank out. BTW, There might be a stone shield cover protecting the tank too. No big deal, It will be held in place with ah few metal screwz.... Piece-ah-cake, Jer
Sounds good to me! Now if it'll just quit raining...

The factory/dealer parts book specific to your car is also a great help when used in conjunction with the FSM. Originals can be pricy but several literature dealers offer them on CD's now.

True, I have both . I bought the parts book 15 years ago and it has been invaluable .

Doesn't appear so, but it looks like the rear spring hangers need to be unbolted and allow the rear end to swing clear.

Alan

True. The tank won't come straight down. It has to be moved forward and come out the wheel well so the spring does have to be moved. I've looked at a lot of these wagons and have seen a few with weird damage on the bottom of the left rear quarter from removing the tank out the bottom. It will come out the bottom with a lot of forcing and bending the sheet metal which we don't want.

Chris, You might be right on the spring removal to drop the tank on the later C-Body Long Roofz, But in my experience dealing with the early '60z 4 door hard top wagonz I found that not to be the case. Either way it'z ah PITA, Jer...We gonna share some St Pauli at Carlisle next July?

Chris, You might be right on the spring removal to drop the tank on the later C-Body Long Roofz, But in my experience dealing with the early '60z 4 door hard top wagonz I found that not to be the case. Either way it'z ah PITA, Jer...We gonna share some St Pauli at Carlisle next July?
That'z fer sure on the Cervaza Jer!!!

Back