The Fall of the Iron Curtain

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
30 years ago today I witnessed the fall of the Iron Curtain while conducting artillery operations in Grafenwohr Germany which is right on the border of the Iron Curtain. I was assigned to 1st Battalion 36th Field Artillery Regiment, 17th Field Artillery Brigade, 7th Corps Artillery in a M110A2 Heavy Artillery Battalion. All of us serving at that time thought for sure that sooner or later we would be fighting the Russians in Europe as part of WWIII. Never in our wildest dreams did we think the fall of the Iron Curtain would happen in our lifetimes. We have been fighting the Cold War in ernest since the early 1960's. I have personally witnessed East Germans escaping to the west with great peril to their lives. Anyone who served in the Army in Europe knows that Grafenwohr was an old German Army training area that the Americans took over after World War II. That is the only place in Germany that has an impact area big enough to shoot my 8" Howitzers. That Howitzer firing one round has a sure kill radius of 80 meters. At 300 meters one round is still ripping off arms, legs, and heads. It is one bad *** Howitzer! My Battslion had 24 of these Howitzers. Three firing batteries of 8 Howitzers. So we shoot in box areas (same principle as B-52's) to maximize the kill zone and inflict the maximum amount of death and destruction. On top of all that these Howitzer's also fire nuke rounds that make Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like fire crackers. President Reagan warned Gorbachev that the U.S. Army would use tactical battlefield nukes in Europe. He was specifically talking about 8" Howitzers. Anyways....we go to Grafenwohr 4 or 5 times a year just to practice maneuvers and fire our Howitzers for accuracy. We can put a 205 lb bullet (plus 70 lbs of gun powder and a 5 lb fuse) inside of trash can at a distance of 20 miles during every shot. That is just how accurate these bad *** Howitzers are!

30 years ago today we were in Grafenwohr firing our Howitzers and all of a sudden we get a call on the COMSEC radio to "SEIZE FIRE FREEZE" . We only get this command when something goes absolutely wrong and someone actually shoots one of these Howitzers and the round lands outside of the impact area. This rarely ever happens....but it does from time to time. People die when this type of accident occurs. Then we get a call on the radio to put all of gun tubes in the stowed position and start heading to the railhead to load our Howitzers and ammo carriers on the railhead to go back home to Augsburg. Then we were told the Berlin Wall was coming down. We were all stunned! Happy but stunned. We worked through the night and loaded up on the railhead and sent our Howitzers back to Augsburg. We got a few hours rest and then we road marched all of our wheeled and tactical vehicles back to Augsburg. All of our trucks and HUMMV's always fly 12" flags on both mirrors every time we road March anywhere. We are always proud to fly the red, white, and blue! It was something to see all the East Germans and West German celebrating on the autobahn. Seen a lot of broke down Russian Traube's (Russian cars). We were mobbed by all the people everytime we pulled over at the restplatz for maintenance and rest breaks. It was an amazing event that I will never forget!!!!

:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria - Wikipedia

FB_IMG_1472858764000.jpg

Happy early Veteran's Day and thank you for your service. I never thought it would happen either. At this point, I think we have more communists in the US than are left in Eastern Europe.

Dave

I remember like it was yesterday. Still get chills when I hear Ronald Reagan say those famous words .." Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall" in his great speech. Thanks to all the brave Vets that served during the cold war.....and all times of conflict or to keep the peace and protect our freedoms!

I remember like it was yesterday. Still get chills when I hear Ronald Reagan say those famous words .." Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall" in his great speech. Thanks to all the brave Vets that served during the cold war.....and all times of conflict or to keep the peace and protect our freedoms!
I watched the entire speech today on YouTube. I was a teen when it happened and didn’t pay much attention.

Thanks to all our veterans, especially my wife ;) (USAF).

I was just 6 mths active duty in the Air Force when this happened. Fast Forward to 1991 and we had a different threat to deal with. Didn't last long though

I gotta ask. Could you shoot those bullets far enough so that you didn’t nuke yourself? Our M109s sure couldn’t... We locked em up as part of the training because we knew we were gonna catch hell from it too. I can still tighten 14 inch lbs perfectly by feel. Great story bud !!!!!

I think we watched the wall fall on cnn or Mtv I can’t remember. Funny but I do remember exactly where I was when I heard the President was shot though. Some ******* coming up the library stairs was laughing about it while I was going downstairs. I punched him and he fell down the stairs. Nobody did **** - guess that’s just HS in the 80’s.

I gotta ask. Could you shoot those bullets far enough so that you didn’t nuke yourself? Our M109s sure couldn’t... We locked em up as part of the training because we knew we were gonna catch hell from it too. I can still tighten 14 inch lbs perfectly by feel. Great story bud !!!!!

I think we watched the wall fall on cnn or Mtv I can’t remember. Funny but I do remember exactly where I was when I heard the President was shot though. Some ******* coming up the library stairs was laughing about it while I was going downstairs. I punched him and he fell down the stairs. Nobody did **** - guess that’s just HS in the 80’s.

Thanks!!!

Every Firing Battery had a "Special Weapons Section" and that crew had only one mission. Build and fire a "nuke round".

You may have heard about the "Lone Gun Mission" and that is when the President calls an audible and the Special Weapons Sections takes one Howitzer far enough away from the Firing Battery and sets up and fires a nuke round. There is no way to be far enough away to fire the nuke round without the crew being nuked too. The nuke round is so forceful and destructive that it takes all of the rifling out of the gun tube so once the nuke round is fired the Howitzer is useless.

Each Firing Battery has a M109 Van that they use to transport and build the nuke round inside of and prepare to fire.

id_m109a3_2_full.jpg

Thanks for punching the punk laughing about President Reagan getting shot!

President Reagan was one of the greatest Presidents we ever had!

I was in the 3rd Armored Cavalry at Ft. Bliss, Texas the day he took office and was on standby to go to Iran to get the hostages and the Iranians released the hostages the minute Reagan took office. We were on the airstrip tarmac ready to go......

:usflag:

That is another moment in my life that I remember where I was & what I was doing when it happened. Thank you to all of the veterans here who served our country. This is the land of the free because of the brave.

That is another moment in my life that I remember where I was & what I was doing when it happened. Thank you to all of the veterans here who served our country. This is the land of the free because of the brave.

Patrolled the Berlin Wall 79-82. CSC 2/6 Infantry. My quarters was just down the street from the wall. I could walk out on my balcony and see one of the towers

F5C7386B-C538-48A5-A044-ECF44EA1377D.jpeg

16E2E174-4BF2-4F01-BB3E-510966E77C1D.jpeg

61E15963-925D-4C93-BA8D-E2919262301E.jpeg

Back