Tilt Wheel Turn Signal Switch

Brakeman95

Reaction score
Does any body know where I can get a turn signal switch for a 69 Sport Fury that has tilt wheel and not telescopic.

I don't understand the suppliers of the various columns for Plymouths IE Saginaw or who ever else but my car has tilt wheel only.

The switch itself is red and the cancel cam doesn't appear to be removeable like I see on the white switch.

Appreciate the feed back

I saw NOS switches on E bay yesterday

To my knowlege (and I could be wrong), there was no tilt only option in 1969 C bodies - the column may be a transplant from a van, or from a 65 C body or earlier Chrysler or Imperial.

Can you show us some pictures?

Regardless, the best bet is Sheemar.

To my knowlege (and I could be wrong), there was no tilt only option in 1969 C bodies
The '69 Plymouth columns are tilt only.

1709647503304.png

1709647518364.png

Does any body know where I can get a turn signal switch for a 69 Sport Fury that has tilt wheel and not telescopic.

I don't understand the suppliers of the various columns for Plymouths IE Saginaw or who ever else but my car has tilt wheel only.

The switch itself is red and the cancel cam doesn't appear to be removeable like I see on the white switch.

Appreciate the feed back

This really got me wondering what switch was right for the job. The Shee-Mar catalog wasn't much help as they list a "Tilt and telescopic" column and that's not what we have here... So the logical place is to open up the parts manual...

So.. Looking up the part number for a C-body Plymouth, the tilt wheel Saginaw built (all the tilt columns are Saginaw (GM) built) we see part #2880829 and then looking for that number, we can see that the Saginaw built auto trans also uses that same switch!!

FYI, Chrysler used both steering columns made "in house" and Saginaw as suppliers for their non-tilt automatic columns. All tilt and till/tele columns are Saginaw built.

Still following me?

So, back to the Shee-Mar catalog and do a little looking around and it looks to me that SM107 is the right switch with a SM-15 cam.

Keep in mind that this is all done using parts catalogs and I can't guarantee 100% that this is all correct, but I think it's the answer.

Header.jpg

TS Switch.jpg

TS2.jpg

My '70 Monaco has the tilt-only steering column WITH Rim Blow AND Cornering Lights.

When it needed a new turn signal switch as the Rim Blow would go off at over 85 degrees F, it cooked the guts of the horn relay. In the process, it also weakened the horn contact spring in the turn signal switch, which was the reason it needed replacement. Weak spring meant the contact did not contact the back of the cancelling cam mechanism (which is what GM calls it).

This was in 1975. I remember it was flaky in looking in the Chrysler parts book. I also had gotten some Mopar Parts catalogs from a Jobber for a back-up. ALL of the listings were a bit vague when cornering lights were put into the mix. Seems that in the Mopar Parts (in the middle 1970s when Mopar Parts was seeking to emulate ACDelco in aftermarket parts) catalog, the '76 Cordoba tilt wheel was the same switch that my tilt column with cornering lights used? I know we finally chose one and it worked.

One of my restoration goals is to find either a repro Tuff Wheel or a '76 Cordoba/Charger SE tilt wheel to get away from the cursed Rim Blow wheel.

Regards,
CBODY67

My '70 Monaco has the tilt-only steering column WITH Rim Blow AND Cornering Lights.

When it needed a new turn signal switch as the Rim Blow would go off at over 85 degrees F, it cooked the guts of the horn relay. In the process, it also weakened the horn contact spring in the turn signal switch, which was the reason it needed replacement. Weak spring meant the contact did not contact the back of the cancelling cam mechanism (which is what GM calls it).

This was in 1975. I remember it was flaky in looking in the Chrysler parts book. I also had gotten some Mopar Parts catalogs from a Jobber for a back-up. ALL of the listings were a bit vague when cornering lights were put into the mix. Seems that in the Mopar Parts (in the middle 1970s when Mopar Parts was seeking to emulate ACDelco in aftermarket parts) catalog, the '76 Cordoba tilt wheel was the same switch that my tilt column with cornering lights used? I know we finally chose one and it worked.

One of my restoration goals is to find either a repro Tuff Wheel or a '76 Cordoba/Charger SE tilt wheel to get away from the cursed Rim Blow wheel.

Regards,
CBODY67
Yep, Those Rim Blows are pretty cool but thy are a problem.

To my knowlege (and I could be wrong), there was no tilt only option in 1969 C bodies - the column may be a transplant from a van, or from a 65 C body or earlier Chrysler or Imperial.

Can you show us some pictures?

Regardless, the best bet is Sheemar.
The Car has the S62 Tilt Adjustment steering wheel so indeed it's original to the model and year, but not common from what I gather.

This really got me wondering what switch was right for the job. The Shee-Mar catalog wasn't much help as they list a "Tilt and telescopic" column and that's not what we have here... So the logical place is to open up the parts manual...

So.. Looking up the part number for a C-body Plymouth, the tilt wheel Saginaw built (all the tilt columns are Saginaw (GM) built) we see part #2880829 and then looking for that number, we can see that the Saginaw built auto trans also uses that same switch!!

FYI, Chrysler used both steering columns made "in house" and Saginaw as suppliers for their non-tilt automatic columns. All tilt and till/tele columns are Saginaw built.

Still following me?

So, back to the Shee-Mar catalog and do a little looking around and it looks to me that SM107 is the right switch with a SM-15 cam.

Keep in mind that this is all done using parts catalogs and I can't guarantee 100% that this is all correct, but I think it's the answer.

View attachment 647849
View attachment 647850

View attachment 647846
Appreciate the data... Fascinating record trace too!

This car also has the front side marker lights options so that means an additional wire to the turn signal switch

This car also has the front side marker lights options so that means an additional wire to the turn signal switch
Assuming you mean "cornering lights", the light on the side of the fender that comes on with the turn signal...

So, I looked at the Shee-Mar catalog and the parts book again and noticed that SM107 also fits the Imperial. The Imperial has cornering lights as standard equipment, so it would seem that the SM107 might have that wiring.

I googled SM107 and Shee-Mar has a picture of the switch. SM107 – www.Shee-Mar.com

I count 10 wires coming from that switch. Looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual, I see that the turn signal switch has 7 wires, 1 of which will be the horn.

Tracing the wiring from the cornering lights, I see 2 empty sockets on the connector to the TS switch. Lt green w/tracer and tan w/tracer (stripe) are the wires from the cornering lights.

TS3.jpg

Front end wiring diagram showing cornering lights. This shows that the wiring goes to cavities 17 and 21

TS4.jpg

So now we look at the switch right from the Shee-Mar website.

Again, I count 10 wires coming from it. The switch in the Chrysler wiring diagram has only 7. This makes me think that the Shee-Mar switch is already wired for the cornering lights.

It would make some sense to look at the existing switch and count and compare the wires.

If this was a $20 switch, I'd say just gamble the 20 bucks.... It's a $100+ switch, so if it were me, I'd want to verify. Maybe a call to Shee-Mar might help, but it also might depend on who answers the phone if you get a correct answer.

1709730135089.png

1709730162776.png

All this said... Are you sure the switch is bad???

Appreciate the data... Fascinating record trace too!
I was bored.... Had a "recliner and pain meds" day and I also was curious what I might need to replace the TS switch in my '65 Chrysler with a tilt only column.

I diagnosed the column switch due to the brake light on one side and also one of the front turn signal lights would not light, the brake light switch was getting power to the column connector and all 4 front turn and brake lights worked when I put powered to the column plug wires. When I took the column apart I found broken wires on the switch, I soldered them on but I had to tape the wires to get it to work and fit back in the column. It works now but it's not a very robust repair so I'll need to get that part. Rock Auto has one but doesn't describe the application very well the picture looks right and it has 10 wires so I may buy it and if it's wrong I can return it, I think/hope.

20240303_180419.jpg

20240303_180415.jpg

I was bored.... Had a "recliner and pain meds" day and I also was curious what I might need to replace the TS switch in my '65 Chrysler with a tilt only column.
I have a 65 300L with tilt only option. Some kind of cable for the cancel cam?? If you find the right switch, I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

I have a 65 300L with tilt only option. Some kind of cable for the cancel cam?? If you find the right switch, I would appreciate the info. Thanks.
That's a good question that I never found a good answer to.

Mine is working fine, but it was curiosity and planning ahead.

If you look in the '65 Parts book, it lists two switches, one for a tilt and one for without tilt.

TS5.jpg

If you look at the Shee-Mar catalog, it lists one switch for all. I know this can't be right.

TS6.jpg

As it happens, I bought a SM102 a while ago as a spare for my '65 Barracuda. It was dirt cheap at the time and I grabbed it.

1710169323856.png

I think that because the column is GM built, we just aren't looking in the right places. I'll bet there's a replacement out there for a Caddy or something.

If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way on this web page, there's a tilt wheel repair PDF file for download.

jholst.net Chrysler 300 Resources Page

Here's a video on fixing the bourdon tube if that helps. He has some other videos on taking a '64 tilt column apart and I assume that's the same. I bought my 300L from Bob.

Back