Time to teach an old dog a new trick

traintech55

Reaction score
OK all you young guys, it is time to help out an old timer with a problem that has me stumped. On my 2000 Ram 1500 P/U with a 5.2, (318) after a very hard rain I get moisture in my Distributor cap. I have replaced the cap many times with different brands and I am wondering if there is something I am missing like a seal that has gone bad. Any of you younger guys seen this problem before, and if so what have you done to correct it.

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue TrainTech55.
This is a problem that has plagued Dodge 318's for decades...

Check to see if the hood seal is cut damaged or even missing or allowing water to drip down onto the distributor.

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue TrainTech55.
This is a problem that has plagued Dodge 318's for decades...

Check to see if the hood seal is cut damaged or even missing or allowing water to drip down onto the distributor.
This is the thing that has me stumped. When I open the hood when it won't start, the whole distributor area is totally dry, yet the inside of the cap looks like someone sprayed it with water.

it's humidity build up... My Poly does the same thing after a few good days of running.
I keep a can of brake cleaner in the trunk of the car for drying it up.

Having said that, your cap should have a breather vent on it right?

You just have to figure out where it is coming from...
If you are a gambling man I would suggest you drill a couple of small holes in the top of the cap as a test so the air can rise out of the cap if there is no vent

Another far fetched possibility is that the distributor shaft is worn enough to allow moisture from the heated engine to somehow squeeze it way into the distributor past the seals & bushings and it can't escape ending up condensing inside the cap...:rolleyes:
I know it sounds crazy but it may happen...

Maybe you're also dealing with a weak spark.

it's humidity build up... My Poly does the same thing after a few good days of running.
I keep a can of brake cleaner in the trunk of the car for drying it up.

Having said that, your cap should have a breather vent on it right?

You just have to figure out where it is coming from...
If you are a gambling man I would suggest you drill a couple of small holes in the top of the cap as a test so the air can rise out of the cap if there is no vent

Another far fetched possibility is that the distributor shaft is worn enough to allow moisture from the heated engine to somehow squeeze it way into the distributor past the seals & bushings and it can't escape ending up condensing inside the cap...:rolleyes:
I know it sounds crazy but it may happen...
See this is what I am looking for. Just a few other things that I have done to correct this. 1. Seven different cap and rotors from everyone, even Mopar. 2. Three different coils, so I doubt it is a weak spark, ( the truck even ran shittier with an Accel coil on it). The truck does have high miles on it, (217,000) so I will look into the distributor / cam sensor next.

OK all you young guys, it is time to help out an old timer with a problem that has me stumped. On my 2000 Ram 1500 P/U with a 5.2, (318) after a very hard rain I get moisture in my Distributor cap. I have replaced the cap many times with different brands and I am wondering if there is something I am missing like a seal that has gone bad. Any of you younger guys seen this problem before, and if so what have you done to correct it.
I don't think I can teach you anything about a distributor you don't already know. Mr. fix it is right about the cowl seal causing problems, which is common to many brands. You should have a vent and cap like this Borg Warner one:
ImageHandler.ashx
Make sure the vent is clear when installing a new one, I have seen some with plastic flashing improperly trimmed. Unless your in a super dusty environment, it should never clog and the rotor acts like a fan to expel moisture from condensation, which should not be excessive.

Due to the cowl area water intrusion issues, I would advise against drilling holes. You may get some improvement if you put a ford silicone cover on it. Here is one for $26:
Amazon.com Shopping Cart

I believe the vent and cover will help make up for any water from the cowl... A/C drains, cowl seals or any other source of excessive moisture will cause havoc in any electrical parts.

I don't think I can teach you anything about a distributor you don't already know. Mr. fix it is right about the cowl seal causing problems, which is common to many brands. You should have a vent and cap like this Borg Warner one:
ImageHandler.ashx
Make sure the vent is clear when installing a new one, I have seen some with plastic flashing improperly trimmed. Unless your in a super dusty environment, it should never clog and the rotor acts like a fan to expel moisture from condensation, which should not be excessive.

Due to the cowl area water intrusion issues, I would advise against drilling holes. You may get some improvement if you put a ford silicone cover on it. Here is one for $26:
Amazon.com Shopping Cart

I believe the vent and cover will help make up for any water from the cowl... A/C drains, cowl seals or any other source of excessive moisture will cause havoc in any electrical parts.

J wasn't there a "fix" for this using electrical conducting silicone spray back in the day?

See this is what I am looking for. Just a few other things that I have done to correct this. 1. Seven different cap and rotors from everyone, even Mopar. 2. Three different coils, so I doubt it is a weak spark, ( the truck even ran shittier with an Accel coil on it). The truck does have high miles on it, (217,000) so I will look into the distributor / cam sensor next.
I didn't realize you had other issues possible... here is an interesting one... but I doubt you have wires crossfiring without you seeing the witness marks.
TSB 18-48-98

At those miles it could be too many things... do you have access to scan equipment to check PIDS? Look at idle speed LTFT and see if it's adding lots of fuel, then run to 1500-2000 RPM and see if it's significantly less. Oversimplified but a quick vacuum leak test.

Hot problems are sometimes the first indicator of a crank sensor failing, idle roughness is often just a dirty IAC, I don't recall there being a crank/cam error PID on those but you could make a computer go nuts with a sloppy timing chain. Then there is the electronics which can be screwed with by a loose plate in the battery or acidic coolant causing voltage on the ground.

J wasn't there a "fix" for this using electrical conducting silicone spray back in the day?
Couldn't tell you from memory and I have no TSB information... did do a quick google search... but my skills are weak. Unfortunately I didn't work on P/Us much so my depth is limited. My memory is even worse...

It was amazing how many times a battery solved a no code driveabillity problem... the "3 minute charge test" solved a lot of problems.

If I remember correctly there was a TSB about 99-2000 Rams not starting after a heavy rain or mist. It was the intake air temp sensor being corroded and giving false temp readings ..it would send some ridiculous value to the ECM which retarded the timing so bad it wouldn't start....been a while since I've seen that. Doesn't explain moisture in the cap but might explain a no start after rain.

If I remember correctly there was a TSB about 99-2000 Rams not starting after a heavy rain or mist. It was the intake air temp sensor being corroded and giving false temp readings ..it would send some ridiculous value to the ECM which retarded the timing so bad it wouldn't start....been a while since I've seen that. Doesn't explain moisture in the cap but might explain a no start after rain.
I left just after the start of 98... so that would have completely missed me if the dates are correct.

See these are some of the things I am looking for. The frustrating part of all this is when it dries out, the truck runs fantastic, I have had the thing scanned many times with no codes. With the miles that are on it I was planning on a timing chain this summer. After all nothing lasts forever.

The source of TSBs I looked at:
TSB 18-48-98

Didn't see the complaint/repair Dba was talking about.
See these are some of the things I am looking for. The frustrating part of all this is when it dries out, the truck runs fantastic, I have had the thing scanned many times with no codes. With the miles that are on it I was planning on a timing chain this summer. After all nothing lasts forever.
Sounds like you're on the right path with ignition, but any electronics that are getting wet could be related. Do you ever get a MIL?

The source of TSBs I looked at:
TSB 18-48-98

Didn't see the complaint/repair Dba was talking about.

Sounds like you're on the right path with ignition, but any electronics that are getting wet could be related. Do you ever get a MIL?
When it does not start no. One time while driving it I did get a flashing light, but it did not set a code.

When it does not start no. One time while driving it I did get a flashing light, but it did not set a code.
Flashing light would indicate misfire detection... again, it sounds like you're on the right path with ignition. When it wont start, a cheap noid light and/or spark tester could verify if you are getting a crank signal.

I remember when I still worked on GM products that the trucks would corrode the distributor cap. There were breather screens in the dist. that would get clogged and trap moisture. I know it's GM but might be worth checking.

I remember the vents in the bottom of the GM's, but I didn't think the Dodge's had them. The vent in the cap I think is all.

Back