Transmission issues with my Sport fury plymouth

sport fury guy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had gotten a differential from wildcatmopars a couple of months ago, I was doing a burnout an took the rear end out. I could not go forward but was able to go backwards back home. I changed out the rear end today, but I ran into an issue with my transmission. When I put it in drive, it won't go, but I can start in first gear manually shift to 2nd and then to drive which is third, it works fine in reverse. So what could be the issue with my transmission?

Just off the top of my head, you probably broke the over running clutch when you broke the rear. You really want to stop driving as it allows the internals to spin up at about 2 1/2 times the engine RPM. Then it blows up.

Here's the typical aftermath of 727 trans explosion after over running clutch failure. Hope this scares you enough to not drive your car.

cuda-xmsn-4.jpg

Well that is certainly not what I want to happen, so what is the fix? or is it a different transmission.
Replace or have the trans rebuilt by a competent rebuilder. No easy fix.

If you are going to keep doing burn outs, you are going to want to get a bolt in sprag.

hOLY CRAP!!
You should see what it can do to the floor pan... A friend did that in a 62 Dodge race car. Broke the rear and never checked the trans. First time they brought up the RPM, the trans let go and opened the floor like a can opener. Luckily, he didn't get hurt.

Burn outs........ In a C body..... Yeah, real smart.:wtf:
It's always good to see some young guys come into the hobby and carry on the C body tradition. Just need to be a little more responsible. Chevys are for doing burnouts......

OH....... :welcome:

Chances are if your trans is acting that badly you probably turned the serrated outside ring of the overrunning clutch and the case is most likely ruined so people prepared to find another. Put a bolt in sprag( overrunning clutch) in the new trans and don't do burnouts in drive Alway put in 1st to apply the low/reverse band and reduce the shock to the overrunning clutch,

Chances are if your trans is acting that badly you probably turned the serrated outside ring of the overrunning clutch and the case is most likely ruined so people prepared to find another. Put a bolt in sprag( overrunning clutch) in the new trans and don't do burnouts in drive Alway put in 1st to apply the low/reverse band and reduce the shock to the overrunning clutch,

Thanks everyone for the input, and yes I should grow up some, but I had a 67 sport fury plymouth as a kid, never had an issue with burnouts and drove it for 6 years through high school and college, only thing that ever happened was the timing gear broke a tooth,(just driving normally down the road) and the push rods got bent and had to replace them, as I said play hard pay hard.

Thanks everyone for the input, and yes I should grow up some, but I had a 67 sport fury plymouth as a kid, never had an issue with burnouts and drove it for 6 years through high school and college, only thing that ever happened was the timing gear broke a tooth,(just driving normally down the road) and the push rods got bent and had to replace them, as I said play hard pay hard.
I just turned 50 this year and I am still waiting for this grow up thing to happen.

Someone correct me if my memory is off, but due to the vulnerability of the sprag, always do burnouts in drive, NOT with the selector in 1st.

Back