Transporting inoperable cars

shooter65

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve found a car on the left coast but it’s the standard story of the engine and trans going to a GTX. Tried to talk them out of it but unless someone knows were they can access another 69 383 Super Commando and 727 trans, they've made up their mind. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape so I want it but need to get it shipped. Don’t have the time to drag it back myself.

The problem I have is finding a reputable company to transport a car without an engine. I’ve heard a lot of good about Coast to Coast Auto Transport but there website says they don’t transport inoperable cars.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I’ve read countless horror stories on auto transport companies and it’s got me so freaked out, I’m wondering if it's worth the risk.

Thanks,
Rick

You need to tell them that a GTX never had a 383 engine. All were 440 or Hemi. Maybe that will change their minds.

You need to tell them that a GTX never had a 383 engine. All were 440 or Hemi. Maybe that will change their minds.
Yea, I'm not sure what's up with that. Originally he said it was for a Satellite, then a GTX. He may have misspoke when he said GTX.

I can only give you fraternal support: my '70 NY was hauled in January from Minneapolis MN to Grand Rapids, MN behind a van (on a trailerbed), and from there in a container via Norfolk VA to Helsinki port. - Not a single dent in the car. Not one. No engine or tranny, OR brakes. - I'd say use a reliable logistics company, and you (and you car) will be safe.

I can only give you fraternal support: my '70 NY was hauled in January from Minneapolis MN to Grand Rapids, MN behind a van (on a trailerbed), and from there in a container via Norfolk VA to Helsinki port. - Not a single dent in the car. Not one. No engine or tranny, OR brakes. - I'd say use a reliable logistics company, and you (and you car) will be safe.
Thank you, I know yours was an international transport but do you know who in the US was used?

Hi everyone, I’ve found a car on the left coast but it’s the standard story of the engine and trans going to a GTX. Tried to talk them out of it but unless someone knows were they can access another 69 383 Super Commando and 727 trans, they've made up their mind. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape so I want it but need to get it shipped. Don’t have the time to drag it back myself.

The problem I have is finding a reputable company to transport a car without an engine. I’ve heard a lot of good about Coast to Coast Auto Transport but there website says they don’t transport inoperable cars.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I’ve read countless horror stories on auto transport companies and it’s got me so freaked out, I’m wondering if it's worth the risk.

Thanks,
Rick
When you say "left coast" were you facing north or south?

Jim "Rhinodart" over on Moparts used to haul rollers. Don't know if he still does. Anyway, look under Services in the Moparts classifieds.

I will be doing a transport booking next week from Sandy Oregon. I did a net search, the two that I liked were Intercity 800-991-8004, the other will post in another reply. currently mobile. However, both companies required rolling, steerable and working brakes. Each was around 1400.00. With a very minimal upcharge for not driving. Both companies I checked via the Web, checked their local BBB and I think their local states consumer protection offices. One had a complaint, seemed like a PIA customer.

Bigbarneycars on here has a friend who does this work, he isn't the cheapest but he will deliver it in the same condition he picked it up. He also uses an enclosed trailer. My car was not running when he did mine.

Bigbarneycars, maybe shoot me a Pm with contact info. Would love a look at a reliable small carrier.

I use Dave Fountain for all my transports now. I have used him several times, and he gets the job done the best of all the guys I have used in the past. He has a wide network of transporters he accesses who are well vetted in terms of reliability, carefulness and a very competitve price. He is very experienced and well connected. And he gets on the assignment fast and you don't end up waiting forever to get someone reliable to do the job. Give him a call. 515 207-1494

Check over on the HAMB too. The Hokey *** Message Board

O.K. Wonder Wagon and all the rest of you hot Shoez here on my favorite web site. I've read this whole thread and there seem to be 2 of you here that at present need a private hauler that you can trust. I've used Steve Durham for 25+ yearz when I can. He's by far not the cheapest but he iz the best. Neal Freman and I started using Steve about the same time back in the mid-eightyz az Neal and I were trading partz 'n ah car or two back and fouth and Steve iz still domiciled in White Hall, Mt even tho' Neal has crushed his entire inventory and gone out of the partz business ah couple yeraz ago. Steve runs the 48 statez with a dodge dually and a 40' enclosed trailer. His son Steve Jr. runs the 48 with a 28' enclosed trailer also and livez in western Kentucky and I've had Jr. haul for me too with the same great results. Father does the dispatching for them both from behind his windshield and both have wenches in the nose of their enclosed trailerz for the non-runnerz. Find Steve Senior at: 270-887-1022. Do ah mapquest from zip code to zip code for your move before you call Steve and he will quote you a price or he will calculate it out and call you back. Tell him Jerry Olson gave you his number. It won't save you any $ but he'll know you are serious, Jer

Thank you very much Jer, A good transporter is like a good barber or gunsmith, almost impossible to find.

Thank you very much Jer, A good transporter is like a good barber or gunsmith, almost impossible to find.

I'm ready...

transporter-2-298879l.jpg

Thanks, will call Steve for a quote, not that I am a hot shoez, just progressing to the next level of the hobby and looking for some help. It seems some information is not easily found and searches and the internet is a start. Your resouce is much appreciated.
However looked over some notes, Coast to Coast does not transport non-operable cars, Inter-City Auto Transport and Intercity Lines does, with a nominal upcharge of about $45.00. Between the two that will transport non-operating cars Inter-city Auto Transport has the best price. We'll see how things work out, thanxs again BIGBARNEYCARS.

Car transporter update, went with Steve Durham for my needs, his quote was in the middle of the big carrier's. Car has been dropped at the shop. Waiting now to get back in que for work to start.
Inter-City Lines upcharge for a non running car is 200.00 above a quote. Fine print in contract, although overall a good rate. Thanks out to BIGBARNEYCARS for the resource. If the need arises again will use Steve again

Back