Turn signal confusion

ultrahumanite

Reaction score
Finally decided that turn signals would be a good idea, I had the flasher removed because when it was installed the left turn indicators were constantly on. I thought it was the switch in the steering column causing the problem so I started pulling it all apart. When I got to the step in the service manual that says "(7) Disconnect the turn signal wiring at the steering column jacket below the instrument panel." confusion set in. There are no wires exiting the steering column tube but there is a jacketed cable. That cable goes to a switch that slides forward and backward, playing with that I found that forward operated the right side turn signals and backward operates the left side signals. Looking for replacement parts I'm not seeing anything like this and the turn signal cam is way different than what I've got. Any idea where to find a replacement cable for this? It's inside a '65 Newport but I'm starting to suspect the column is from another vehicle or year.

Is it a tilt column?? My 65 Polara is, and the switch is down at the base of the column with a cable operator that runs down from the t/s lever. Sure sounds like what you're seeing.

Oh yeah, and that cable is a real bear to find. I had to make the inner slider for mine many moons ago, still doesn't work right as it won't self release since the slider's too tight in the jacket, but I can at least operate the signals with the lever.

OP indicates it's a 65 Newport, so after perusing the parts catalog I was surprised to find that the cables do not interchange between Dodge/Plymouth and Chrysler. The cable is 2660218 for a 65 Chrysler C and Brad's NOS shows to have one in stock. 2660217 is for 65 Dodge/Plymouth C's and none show on partsvoice, so if it's truly a 65 Chrysler column you may be in luck, although Brad's is known to be real proud of his parts. Good luck.

On another tack, I've since found that the inner cable seems to be .031", which is a common size for mig welder wire so you may be able to manufacture a replacement core if you can find both ends of yours for length measurements - and I think it was KD tools that made a tool to create the 'coils' on the ends of the cables as the factory did. Fuzzy on some of the details as I remade mine about 30 years back or so and have never gotten around to replacing the homemade one with the NOS one I finally found a few years back. (Although that's where I got the diameter of the inner cable since the new one's still hanging on the wall.) When I remade mine I was in a hurry and didn't find an optimum inner wire which is what makes it hang up on cancelling.

OP indicates it's a 65 Newport, so after perusing the parts catalog I was surprised to find that the cables do not interchange between Dodge/Plymouth and Chrysler. The cable is 2660218 for a 65 Chrysler C and Brad's NOS shows to have one in stock. 2660217 is for 65 Dodge/Plymouth C's and none show on partsvoice, so if it's truly a 65 Chrysler column you may be in luck, although Brad's is known to be real proud of his parts. Good luck.

On another tack, I've since found that the inner cable seems to be .031", which is a common size for mig welder wire so you may be able to manufacture a replacement core if you can find both ends of yours for length measurements - and I think it was KD tools that made a tool to create the 'coils' on the ends of the cables as the factory did. Fuzzy on some of the details as I remade mine about 30 years back or so and have never gotten around to replacing the homemade one with the NOS one I finally found a few years back. (Although that's where I got the diameter of the inner cable since the new one's still hanging on the wall.) When I remade mine I was in a hurry and didn't find an optimum inner wire which is what makes it hang up on cancelling.
Yes it's a tilt column and this sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I think I have both ends, I'm assuming the length of wire I found in the top of the steering column is one end. The bottom end is still connected.

The tool is KD 495, doesn't show as a current offering, though.
upload_2017-2-4_13-21-22.png

It may be the switch adjustment at the bottom of the column...

I am quite familiar with the mechanical basics of the turn signal set up in these columns...

So - does the cable actually slide up and down with the turn signal lever or does it feel stuck?

Sometimes the cancelling switch under the steering wheel breaks and bits jam the cancelling part and therefore the springs on the switch at the bottom of the column can't overcome that and the flasher stays on.

If not, and the lever re-centres itself then the cable is OK.

So, since you say the signals work for both directions when you move the switch within its' bracket, we know it is OK, then likely the issue lies in the positioning of the signal switch at the bottom of the column with relation to the centre-off position of the cable.

The switch is position-adjustable with elongated bolt holes where it's fastened to the column jacket. With the key on and the left signal flashing, centre your signal lever and loosen the bolts holding the seitch and try sliding the switch one direction or the other to determine which way makes the signalling stop.

Back