Voltrage Regulator and Ballast resisitor

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
Generally speaking the Volatage regulator for a 1969 Plymouth Fury will either be a 2875 400, were the Alternator will have transistors or a 2098 300 with a standard alternator. Also the amperage of the alternator will affect the Regulator?

Ballast resistor will be the 2275 590, what resistance value.

Both Pn are for the 69' model year.

Trying to start with stock parts to get my wagon rewired and hopefully started later in the year.

Just a few questions so I can answer yours...
Are you going completely showroom stock? Or want a good looking reliable driver?
What motor is in your car, with or without AC? Any power options like windows seats, etc?
One answer I have is yes to matching the VR to the output of the alternator.. Even better go with an electronic VR that is capable handling up to 90 amps.
VR706 is what I use and I also hide it under 2875 400 cover.
You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Yes starting with showroom stock, Fury wagon. Motor is 383, with AC no power options, however with a tow package and early build date.

Any light t shed on the ballast resistor.

This is more of what was lost when the shop tossed my underhood wire harness. Still need to source the positive and negative battery cables and sort out the ground strap from the cowl to block. Going through this step by step, mostly from onsite of a job I'm doing. Thanks in advnce

Yes starting with showroom stock, Fury wagon. Motor is 383, with AC no power options, however with a tow package and early build date.

Any light t shed on the ballast resistor.

This is more of what was lost when the shop tossed my underhood wire harness. Still need to source the positive and negative battery cables and sort out the ground strap from the cowl to block. Going through this step by step, mostly from onsite of a job I'm doing. Thanks in advnce
The ballast resistor is a generic part used across the board for many years.
It is not directly related to the charging system and does not carry a heavy load like the charging system. Just 12 volts brought down to 9 to run the ignition coil.
The ground strap, and battery cables are in repop for big block cars at National Moparts.

That ballast resistor should be .5-.6 ohms HOT

Last edited:
Back