What Makes a Police Fury a Pursuit Car?

If it's a different assembly, the BS will tell us. If there are differences in how it was assembled, we'd need some seriously hard to find documentation to prove it. If it's the same assembly as a standard K code, we're looking at smoke and mirror fudging HP ratings.

I respectfully disagree with the smoke and fudging statement. Although the horsepower ratings across the MoPar spectrum are certainly worth scrutiny.

The 440 -360 HP Pursuit engine code is 510. It should be a different assembly number. Although, I don't have a 69 Belevdere built C body 440 Broadcast sheet to reference.

The 440 -360 HP Pursuit version, likely is rated at 10 HP more than a non-Pursuit application because of the unsilenced air cleaner and dual exhaust system, which were mandatory with this engine option. The free flow added 10HP, or so Chrysler engineers stated. Standard K-code cars had single exhaust, and silenced restricted air cleaner, police cars or not.

The 440-360 HP Pursuit engine as an option was available for Dodge in 1970. The 440 360HP was only available with dual exhaust, if you wanted single exhaust you got a 440-350 HP engine. So it was an option, and an engine package on a Pursuit car.

Remember fleet cars, or specifically police cars, had the factory warranty as other cars did. They were always driven hard and put away wet. Do you think Plymouth would not quality assure the drive train with an extra check in build assembly parts and procedures? I'm inclined to believe they did.
fury pursuit broadcast sheet.jpg
fury pursuit broadcast sheet 1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the optional roof support.

fury pursuit roof support.jpg
Fury Pursuit 1969.jpg

CHP cars didn't get these because the CHP cars did not have roof mounted lights, and aparently the CHP didn't want the extra weight.

I respectfully disagree with the smoke and fudging statement. Although the horsepower ratings across the MoPar spectrum are certainly worth scrutiny.

The 440 -360 HP Pursuit engine code is 510. It should be a different assembly number. Although, I don't have a 69 Belevdere built C body 440 Broadcast sheet to reference.

The 440 -360 HP Pursuit version, likely is rated at 10 HP more than a non-Pursuit application because of the unsilenced air cleaner and dual exhaust system, which were mandatory with this engine option. The free flow added 10HP, or so Chrysler engineers stated. Standard K-code cars had single exhaust, and silenced restricted air cleaner, police cars or not.

The 440-360 HP Pursuit engine as an option was available for Dodge in 1970. The 440 360HP was only available with dual exhaust, if you wanted single exhaust you got a 440-350 HP engine. So it was an option, and an engine package on a Pursuit car.

Remember fleet cars, or specifically police cars, had the factory warranty as other cars did. They were always driven hard and put away wet. Do you think Plymouth would not quality assure the drive train with an extra check in build assembly parts and procedures? I'm inclined to believe they did. View attachment 114895 View attachment 114896

Agree that there was no fudging of numbers and that low restriction aircleaners and dual exhaust produced modest hp/torque gains.

Are the portions of the broadcast sheet you're showing us from a police vehicle?

Agree that there was no fudging of numbers and that low restriction aircleaners and dual exhaust produced modest hp/torque gains.

Are the portions of the broadcast sheet you're showing us from a police vehicle?
Yes. PK21K

Here is something to consider, and I'm no expert on the 440's so excuse my ignorance. Would either the 440 Six-Pack or 375HP engine found in a Plymouth Road Runner have the same "919" engine code on the broadcast sheet as the Pursuit 440?

Here is something to consider, and I'm no expert on the 440's so excuse my ignorance. Would either the 440 Six-Pack or 375HP engine found in a Plymouth Road Runner have the same "919" engine code on the broadcast sheet as the Pursuit 440?

No. Assemblies are determined by application taking into account the body, transmission and AC or not. A C body 440 HP with automatic and air is a different assembly than a B body HP four speed assembly. For 1969, the first codes 919 and the second codes 915.

Each year is different.

Negative Captian!

OK, a little more web research and I found some interesting info. Here is a little on the engine selections with the Pursuit 440's noted as having a special cam: 1967 - 1976 Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth police car engines

Same website has more info on the police cars and the assorted options they had, but check out the 1971 CHP Academy video (and the Superbird): History of Mopar squads (Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge police cars)

I know ive watched this before, probably about ten years ago....... :BangHead:One of those cars HAS to have my name on it

And speaking of cop cars there is another thread on here re the introduction of A38 on fender tags....nobody had seen a 70 tag with it. I was organizing my 1970 fender tags the other night and came across PL41L0F242508 with a fairly late SPD of 601 and A38 on the tag. Also have a tag off a OPP car (Ontario Provincial Police) PE41G0D265974 ...it has just a Y39 on it. I have some good Billing from Chrysler Canada a Toronto dealer who supplied lots of OPP cars in 1970....I'll see if I can get my scanner working and post some stuff. Oh yeah ,I will never smudge a VIN #...I find it offensive. Vin #'s are not personal info.

And speaking of cop cars there is another thread on here re the introduction of A38 on fender tags....nobody had seen a 70 tag with it. I was organizing my 1970 fender tags the other night and came across PL41L0F242508 with a fairly late SPD of 601 and A38 on the tag. Also have a tag off a OPP car (Ontario Provincial Police) PE41G0D265974 ...it has just a Y39 on it. I have some good Billing from Chrysler Canada a Toronto dealer who supplied lots of OPP cars in 1970....I'll see if I can get my scanner working and post some stuff. Oh yeah ,I will never smudge a VIN #...I find it offensive. Vin #'s are not personal info.

Pics of the tag with A38 would be appreciated.

Back