SOLD Wheel Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I will post pics in daylight, but perhaps somebody knows these answers without seeing the pics, OR could direct me to an authoritative source?

I have two 15x7, 5x4.5 steel wheels. Hub stamping "M5 over 9", which I believe this means Motor Wheel Plant 5 in Canada, 1969 model (calendar?) year. Flat hub area around the bolt holes, dog ears (10.5 inches O.D) for dog dishes, and in the 8:00 oclock position (vs. the valve stem hole) there is "B" (no, not an "H") stamped in the hub area. There is NO PentaStar stamping. To the right of the valve stem hole are '26" and then "FN".
IMG_8886.JPG
IMG_8887.JPG

I have a different set of four wheels, these being 14x5.5. 5x4.5 steel wheels, "bumps" in the center around the bolt holes, "B1 over 8" which I don't know what this means but I suspect the "8" is 1968, and an "H" stamped at the 3:00 oclock position (vs. the valve stem hole"). To the right of the valve stem hole, its stamped "22" and "55", the former the "part group" code?, latter being the wheel width I believe. There is NO PentaStar stamping on any of the wheels.

IMG_8889.JPG
IMG_8890.JPG

I think the quartet of 14's are plain old 1968 wheels that could be had on any A, B, or C body. I think I salvaged these from a 1968 Fury.

The duo of 15x7's (not 15x6.5's, but yes 15x7') is puzzling .. I know of no 15x7's Mopars in 1969 or 1970, and post 1970 wheels have the "PentaStar" stamping while these don't. I do not remember where I got them. Maybe Ford wheels?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I will say this although excuse me if it's not directly related to your enquiry 69 chrysler rims will not fit over brake callipers! they were only designed to fit onto drums on all four corners, it's worth bearing that in mind when considering disc brake conversions...... you need 70 onward rims if a standard look is your thing!

The brown pair look more like Ford rims, due to the size of the hubcap. The hub itself would also be smaller at 2.5 inches.
The black quartet look like A-body rims of the era, but they would be the smaller bolt circle at four inches. Also note that two of them have only three hubcap nubs, which I think is earlier and more common.

The brown pair look more like Ford rims, due to the size of the hubcap. The hub itself would also be smaller at 2.5 inches.

The black quartet look like A-body rims of the era, but they would be the smaller bolt circle at four inches. Also note that two of them have only three hubcap nubs, which I think is earlier and more common.

Thanks for pointing out the ears. Yup, two of them have FOUR ears, and two of them have THREE ears. They all are definitely 5x4.5 "big" bolt pattern tho.

I have two OTHER 14x5.5 wheels, with FOUR ears, but NO "bumps" in the hub area. No idea where I got them. :(

The brown (just primered) ones .. my mechanic said they came off one of my C-body police carfs (he thought it was a '73 WSP Polara) about 15 years ago (one was in trunk on a worn out poice bias ply tire, the other on the car).

But that doesn't make 'em Mopars .. just 5x4.5s. There is NO manufacturer logo stamped on them anywhere .. but the 10.5" ear circle and the width makes me lean away from Mopar (pass. cars anyway).

I will say this although excuse me if it's not directly related to your enquiry 69 chrysler rims will not fit over brake callipers! they were only designed to fit onto drums on all four corners, it's worth bearing that in mind when considering disc brake conversions...... you need 70 onward rims if a standard look is your thing!

thank you for that info! it may help me later on .. others maybe right now. :)

img_8887-jpg.105277

Somebody wailed the crap out of the center hole with a BFH.
That's a sign that somebody was trying to make a Ford wheel fit onto a Mopar hub.

img_8887-jpg.105277

That's a sign that somebody was trying to make a Ford wheel fit onto a Mopar hub.

interesting ... both of 'em are like that.

never seen that technique done before (or .. maybe somebody did it to me before and i was sleepin' at the wheel - no pun intended). :(

thanks!

img_8887-jpg.105277

interesting ... both of 'em are like that.

never seen that technique done before (or .. maybe somebody did it to me before and i was sleepin' at the wheel - no pun intended). :(

thanks!

That is way too symmetrical to have been done by just beating on it. I would guess that is the way the wheel was pressed. They weren't worried about the bore size. Them lug nuts will centre the wheel.

Like these

wheel2.jpg

wheel1.jpg

Interesting. Never noticed those type of centers before
Only when wailed on. :p
Thanks, Peter.

I had wheels with the centers like that I just cant remember which car they were on

In a way it would help prevent wheels seizing on the hubs with the small gap!???

In a way it would help prevent wheels seizing on the hubs with the small gap!???

thats interesting... only "partially" hub-centric (five places where is opening is 'narrowest"), the lug system (studs and nuts) doing the rest of the holding/centering of the wheel??

on my wheels, the "flat" part of center hole lines up with the bolt holes. on the wheels 300rag posted the silver one are the same as mine, but the black wheel lines up between the bolt holes.

or maybe nothing to do with usage on the car but rather something to do with manufacturing the wheel center when its stamped? less likely, but possible i guess.

I've never come across the primered wheels you have pictured. I would guess Ford wheels too. You are correct with the coding M59, that means the Motor Wheel Canadian Plant made in 1969. If it were a Mopar wheel that would be up near the valve stem.

In 1970 Mopar Musclecars were available with 15x7 steel wheels...they are expensive and hard to come by. They are very distinctive with how think the outside band was. Very much the same as the new for 1970 B and E body 15x7 Rallye wheel.

The black rim in my pic is a 1969 15x6 H wheel....M59 2-February, 4-4th day, 6.0-6 inch wide
The white wheel is a Mopar 450 rim = $$$$ If you come across any of those let me know as I would like to piece together a set for my Road Runner.
DSCF0006.JPG
2944450 wheel 15x7.jpg

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back