WANTED WTB: Parts for a 1973 Disc Brake Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Title is self explanatory… I’m looking into the 73 disk brake upgrade for my 2DHT 1968 New Yorker. I already have a dual diaphragm booster that works with the car … now I need all the other fun stuff! I appreciate any help I can get!

9F7861D2-1F46-4E91-A4C2-D8DFB94BC689.jpeg

Bad news for starters --- that is a 4 wheel drum brake master cylinder --- notice that they are equal size chambers --- and not a Front Disc / Rear Drum master cylinder.....

Bad news for starters --- that is a 4 wheel drum brake master cylinder --- notice that they are equal size chambers --- and not a Front Disc / Rear Drum master cylinder.....

Would you happen to have the correct setup on hand? It’s a last minute decision but if I can get all the parts I need, I’d love to be able to install the disk setup!

Hey Isaiah, if Craig, @mobileparts, doesn't have one, I have an extra brand new reproduction. I don't want to take a sale away from him if he has one. I accidentally ordered 2 when I was ordering for my conversion. I'll let Craig reply first.

I don't have the reproduction world of power brake boosters, at all --- so, no, I'm out ---
Such that, if you guys want to get together, go for it...

I have spoken to Isaiah before --- Good person, and
Craig / MetalManiacAZ --- Great person, whom I have had repeated dealings with....

You guys should definitely get together on this.... Yours, Craig.....

I don't have the reproduction world of power brake boosters, at all --- so, no, I'm out ---
Such that, if you guys want to get together, go for it...

I have spoken to Isaiah before --- Good person, and
Craig / MetalManiacAZ --- Great person, whom I have had repeated dealings with....

You guys should definitely get together on this.... Yours, Craig.....

Just to confirm, the booster is fine, but get a disc MC? I appreciate the help!

You need to find out the exact application of the booster AND the master cylinder separately. What car, weight, and type of brake system.

If the master cylinder is a power assisted drum brake master cylinder, typically they require less boost than similar disc brake master cylinders, and hence the boosters are of lower strength than a disc system booster. This is why Chrysler has two different boosters for the two different brake systems.

If that booster and master was for a drum brake system I would expect that you need to swap them out for ones from a disc brake system. If the booster is a proper disc brake booster for a full size car, and just the wrong master has been both to it then all you need to do is get the proper disc brake master cylinder. Based on what you told me on messenger I still have more questions and concerns so if you like let's continue that conversation over there.

If you're interested I have a set of 69-72 disc brakes. Comes with new rotors, bearings, pads, rebuilt calipers and new Firm Feel tubular upper control arms with new bushings and upper ball joints. Only thing I don't have are the dust shields.
PXL_20220202_164539880.jpg
PXL_20220202_164554954.jpg
PXL_20220202_164449596.jpg
PXL_20220202_165754694.jpg

Last edited:
I'm seriously doubting that booster will work for your application for fitment reasons alone. The stock drum brake system can work quite well in these cars if set up properly, you might want to consider that.

Just scored a 67 Chrysler New Yorker disc brake booster!

12197C92-2927-4A51-8636-C9DE498F9FB7.jpeg

Gonna have it sent straight to booster Dewey. Now I need all the other parts. Please get at me with anything you got!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back