‘68 300 Fender Tag

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Met up with my buddy at a show yesterday who also has a 1968 300 convertible. He was interested in having his fender tag decoded. I did my best at trying to decide it myself, but I think I am putting too many spaces in. IIRC @ayilar is the guru at this, right?

Thank you!

8982F59A-7FCF-49D6-8A45-DA8BCA7A5486.jpeg

Our ‘68 300s:

71618FDD-C850-45BB-BF4C-D39A3C14F463.jpeg

DE424411-FBD0-48C1-B2E5-FD27FACD1902.jpeg

Met up with my buddy at a show yesterday who also has a 1968 300 convertible. He was interested in having his fender tag decoded. I did my best at trying to decide it myself, but I think I am putting too many spaces in. IIRC @ayilar is the guru at this, right?

Thank you!

View attachment 558918

Is there a broadcast sheet so we can figure out why it has a 96**** SO number? Was this a demo car/special order car?

I can ask, but it is doubtful one exists. I think my buddy would have shown it to me if he had one.

Here’s what I came up with
Using decoder at:

CAR: Chrysler 300 2 Door Convertible

ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8

TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic

TIRES: Unknown tire code

MODEL YEAR: 1968

BUILD DATE: July 16.

AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio

INTERIOR: , Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.

PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).

OTHER: White Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:

ABC:

H2: Power Locks

R2: Music Master AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:

a6: Console

b4: Bucket Seats

h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

j0: Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column

r5: Unknown Option

y4: Unknown Option

Thank you for the assist. That is definitely more than I was coming up with.

His car has head rests on the bucket seats (mine doesn’t) could those be one of the ‘unknown options’ listed above?

Thank you for asking me. Apologies for the belated response -- it's been a crazy few days.

I'd be delighted to help if I could, but unfortunately my knowledge is mostly limited to fusies (1969-1973). Luckily, @SGVert has stepped up to the plate.

Here’s what I came up with
Using decoder at:

[/URL][/URL]

CAR: Chrysler 300 2 Door Convertible

ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8

TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic

TIRES: Unknown tire code

MODEL YEAR: 1968

BUILD DATE: July 16.

AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio

INTERIOR: , Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.

PAINT: Red (Dodge), Matador Red (Plymouth), Scorch Red (Chrysler), Flame (Imperial).

OTHER: White Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:

ABC:

H2: Power Locks

R2: Music Master AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:

a6: Console

b4: Bucket Seats

h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

j0: Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column

r5: Unknown Option

y4: Unknown Option

ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8 81 = 350 horse version
TIRES: Unknown tire code 63 = 8.55 x 14 white wall
BUILD DATE: July 16. Scheduled production date. May or may not be the actual build date. A Broadcast sheet may give us better guidance.
y4: Unknown Option Not an option code. It's the first digit of the '40' inspection punch. Notice it is 'in to' the tag and not 'raised' as an option code is.

His car has head rests on the bucket seats (mine doesn’t) could those be one of the ‘unknown options’ listed above? No. The optional Headrest would not be coded using a 5.

We have to account for the 96**** SO number. (THIS is the most significant item coded on the tag.) My gut feel is r/5 might indicate code 695 SHOW CAR FINISH B, which helps us determine if the car was a PROMO car, SHOW CAR, or built for some special purpose that triggered the SO. The car was built for a 'reason' outside of normal retail sale. Again, we need to see the Broadcast sheet.

Back