1215 intake Gasket ?

CanCritter

Reaction score
4.png
5.png
7.png
...following up on Bobs advise givein in one of his posts and got the 1215 set from amazon for some 43 bucks can...everywhere else was 65+...anyway got set today and its got a torn corner on a gasket and have never installed a intake gasket on a 440 so am wondering how to proceed?
A. return it?...no rush
B. suck it up buttercup and glue it and use silicone both sides?

The rule of thumb is to use the fiber gasket if you are using an aluminum manifold and not use them if you are using a cast iron manifold.

When I had my intake off this winter I tried to use those but my intake would not set down in the cradle to get bolts in. Would have needed thinner ones. I've always used rtv on the bathtub itself

At one time, I kept thinking I had a slight intake leak on my '67 Newport 383 (906) and Edelbrock Torker 383 set-up. I got the FelPro 6-pack paper gaskets, which appear to be thinner than what is pictured. I put hi-heat black silicone on both sides of the intake and put the paper gaskets on that way. I did seem to get a "tighter" response to idle mixture screw position, but not quite the difference I was looking for. BUT now I know everything's sealed as well as it can be.

The gaskets pictured look like the gaskets which Mr. Gasket used to sell. Gaskets to be used to seal the intake directly to the cylinder head, when a block-off plate is used instead of a valley pan style intake gasket. Which would explain the mis-alignment mentioned, when used with the valley pan gasket!

In my orientation, use ONLY the thinner gasket which are spec'd for the 440 6bbl motor with the steel valley pan gasket. Everything fits as it's supposed to, that way.

The orig 440 6bbl intakes were aluminum Edelbrock items. The beads of the metal valley pan would "pattern" the intake mounting sealing area, over time, Hence the paper gaskets to allow for the hot/cold cycles to happen as the paper is the interface for the sliding motion of the dissimilar metals and their different expansion rates.

I just feel better using OEM-spec gaskets than the Mr. Gasket style soft gaskets (which were originally designed for short-term longevity of drag racing motors that are opened-up frequently. Rather than OEM 100K mile durability.

CBODY67

Back