14 in Tires....

Reaction score
Finding 14 in tires is a challenge for the 65. 225/70/14 is what I have came up with to replace the 8.55 14. What are you guys running?

Broad market 14 inch tires are going away along with the Do-do bird.
Factory outer diameter is 28.10 inches.
The 2257014 is 26.50 inches
Actually,the 2157514 is TALLER at 27.11 inches.
Stan,I seen the 2257014's on a slab and although they work,they appear to be small.
The tiny 14's will have you in 4th gear by 30 miles an hour.
But what can you do when there is nothing out there?
I put 2157514 on the 66 300 that I have been looking after. This year,however it getting 15 inch rims AND tires which are CHEAPER than buying the correct 2257514/2357514 radials from Coker.

Last edited:
Finding 14 in tires is a challenge for the 65. 225/70/14 is what I have came up with to replace the 8.55 14. What are you guys running?
Edit; Knowing that it is the 65 4 spd car, Going 15's would mean different wheel covers.
Are you planning on driving this car regularly? I know in my last post to avoid the Coker tires mainly for cost,but it is an avenue to explore for originality sake.
They do carry 2357514 in a one inch whitewall that is equally as tall as the bias ply.

15' Inch wheels aren't so uncommon on the 60's cars, All three of mine that came with Disc brakes had 15x6 standard rims,(67/68) But those original caps are rare.

15' Inch wheels aren't so uncommon on the 60's cars, All three of mine that came with Disc brakes had 15x6 standard rims,(67/68) But those original caps are rare.
I was in the same boat (pun intended) regarding my 68 Newport.
I have NOS 14 inch deep dish wheel covers and a very nice set of 14 inch Bias-ply tires.
I just love the look of the original wheel covers and I do not trust the old Bias-ply tires
However,I want to drive my car..What to do?

I bought 2357015 with 1 inch whitewall and mounted them on Magnum 500's.
The 14 inch will be my "show" set,and the 15's will be my "cruise n drive" set.
That may be an option for the owner of that beautiful 300L 4spd car.

I want to drive my car..What to do?

Pop for the high dollar correct size and eat baloney for a week. A couple of trips down the road and you'll forget all about the money.

I'll say it: Bias plys for this gem. Now shoot me. :D

I'll say it: Bias plys for this gem. Now shoot me.

Bias are fine for a garage/trailer queen. There's a reason why they aren't used anymore.

I'm going to be driving the car so i don't want to go Bias. I know this may open up a can of worms but I was thinking Magnum 500 with red lines. But that combo would set ya back 1600 1800 dollars. I love the look of Magnums, I had 15 in magnums on the 66 300 and loved the way it filled the wheel well area. Right now I can think of other things the car needs first before I would do something like that. There are times that I will want the original look with the hubcaps. I think for now I'm leaning towards Hankook BSW tires. After looking at the window sticker and seeing that BSW is what was on it when new.

Hankook # 1014229 2157514
27.11 O.D
They are on the 66 300 and I used them on my 73 Satellite wagon.
As mentioned before the 2257014 (26.50 O.D) are smaller than the 2157514.
Engine revs will be higher and up-shifts will be made sooner.
Regardless which tire you go with in a radial they will be smaller than the original may-pops.

Or.....
You can buy a reasonably priced commonly available tire in the size of your choice and buy a $35 speedometer gear.
PicsArt_02-22-06.14.04.jpg

I like the red line idea. They would look great with your color combo. But you'd almost have to mount them on Magnum rims .... very costly.
These Coopers are on ebay now, decent price and free shipping. But they are RWL which would be a trade off and really don't blend well on a slab side.
If the car was originally equipped with black walls then that would be the way to go IMHO. The Admiral was originally equipped with black side walls, so I installed a set of Cooper Cobra tires black side out. They capture the original side wall look better then the Hanooks I think.

4 NEW 225/70-14 COOPER COBRA RADIAL GT 70R R14 TIRES

May_2_06 001_800.jpg
2_800.jpg

I popped for the Diamondback 14" redlines the first time. They looked great but were pricey and for the few miles I drive per year, I didn't get my money's worth by the time the belts started to fail and I had to replace them.

I went with lower cost 225x14s RWL (roughly equivalent to an F or G series 70) due to price, period look and not having to buy new rims.

View attachment 72201 View attachment 72202

I popped for the Diamondback 14" redlines the first time. They looked great but were pricey and for the few miles I drive per year, I didn't get my money's worth by the time the belts started to fail and I had to replace them!

How many years or miles did you get out of the redlines? I was considering them for mine as I have the BiasPly. 2 hands on the wheel all the time hang on!

Hankook # 1014229 2157514
27.11 O.D
They are on the 66 300 and I used them on my 73 Satellite wagon.
As mentioned before the 2257014 (26.50 O.D) are smaller than the 2157514.
Engine revs will be higher and up-shifts will be made sooner.
Regardless which tire you go with in a radial they will be smaller than the original may-pops.
What is the name of these tires? I can only find the H724 tires which are 26.7 OD

Regarding Radials, No matter what the Manufacturer says the tire Dimensions are, the squat factor is huge. Bias plys don't squat, so 28 Inches is just that. unfortunately, I drove cars then with those tires, and the car was a handful for sure!

How many years or miles did you get out of the redlines? I was considering them for mine as I have the BiasPly. 2 hands on the wheel all the time hang on!

They were on for 9 or 10 years and had about 10K on them. They still had most of the nubs. I went with the Diamondback because they will vulcanize (?) the red line on to any tire you want so I had a new radial with an old stripe. They were a great tire. I couldn't justify the additional cost for as few miles as I drive a year.

FWIW... the tire manufacturers recommend replacements at 6-7 years after production due to the aging of the rubber. This is regardless of how you use or store them. It sounds like you need a set of cheap tires to be able to safely drive at whim. Then you can focus on the rest of the car and come back to this whenever your ready. I don't really like Hankook, but I have not seen or heard anything to cause me to believe these wouldn't serve the purpose. Shop locally so you dont pay shipping and $300 is pretty good for 4 tires. Mount the stripe in or out and just think of them as temporary... they all are anyhow.

Optimo H724
Standard Touring All-Season
  • Details & Pricing
  • Size: P215/75R14
  • Sidewall Style: White Stripe .5-1.0
  • Serv. Desc: 98S Load Index 98= 1653lbs (750kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “S”= 112mph (180kph)">
  • UTQG: 500 A B 500
    Traction: A
    Temperature: B">
  • Qty: Per Tire:$65.10
  • Availability: In Stock