14" or 15" wheels on a 66 300

fury1

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your guys opinion on what rim size I should use on my 66 300. I'm running steel 15" wheels on it now... But I have 14" steel rims that came with the car. I'm not sure if that's what came factory or not? The hubcaps I have for the car will fit the 14" rims. I also have a set of Chrysler dog dish caps that will fit either 14" or 15". Im gonna be buying new white walls for the car next month. What's your guys' thoughts?

Vintage Take Offs Chrysler 300 Newport Dog Dish Poverty Hubcaps Hub Caps Set 4 | eBay here's what the dog dish ones look like. Only ones I could find on eBay.

$_35.jpg

What he said about more tire selection with 15" rims. A decent set of 15" Road Wheels with 1" white walls would be an nice mild custom touch. My .02

My 300 has the 14's and finding decent whitewalls for it was a nightmare and I sell tires. 15" wheels came with the disc brake cars IIRC. I have those same hubcaps tho and I think they look great on this car.
image.jpeg

I do plan on getting a disc brake conversion up front... Maybe I will stick with the 15"

From what I've seen there are few, if any, disk brake conversions that will work with 14" wheels.

SSBC is who I went with as I didn't want to lose using the spinners I have on them now.
I can see were you wouldn't want to lose spinners. Is the disc brake kit you went with the A154 kit ? Do they tell you what the original application of the parts in the kit are from ? Any issues with fit or function ?

My 300 has the 14's and finding decent whitewalls for it was a nightmare and I sell tires. 15" wheels came with the disc brake cars IIRC. I have those same hubcaps tho and I think they look great on this car.
View attachment 70559
What type of tires are those? I may want a pair for Mary. Are they Coker's?

I put 15" on my Fury. To me the 14" are just too small looking on such large cars. I would have put 16" on if I had the clearance for the reverse wheels I got. After that I think they start getting too big. All a matter of preference, though.

14's on a Cbody is Blasphemous. You can practically live in those Wheel wells. Go with 15's

I sell tires for a living.
Go 15 inch rims and tires.
The largest "broadmarket" 14 inch passenger tire available is 2157514.Still too small when you do the math converting the original 8.55-14 bias ply.
Coker sells a 2257514 and 2357514 which is correct for the C body 14's but too rich for most to purchase.

Optimum tire size on a slab would be 2357015 with 2257515 as an alternative.Correct diameter,plus a really nice ride.
If you can get correct 66 15 inch disc brake wheel covers that would look "correct". Alternative is 15 inch 300 wheel covers from 69-71 300's
OR
Go Magnum 500 wheels which look awesome on any Slab C especially a 66 300 which is supposed to be a "sporty" model.
Hope this helps

I'll throw in with the 15" crowd for the reasons already mentioned. Since Chrysler used both sizes, it's really nothing more than an option upgrade, even if you don't yet have disc brakes. The 300 is a big, loooong car and it needs all the help it can get in the 'filling in the fenders' area. Should also help your ride and mileage a bit, too.

It's too bad they didn't make those cool spinner caps in 15", they are by far the best looking IMO. I know they used a similar cover for the '66-'67 Chargers but never checked to see if they are 14 or 15 inch. Not identical to the 300 style, but very close.

My 300 is a disc brake car with the correct hub caps. Here's a shot of one, albeit a bit snowy. It has a center spinner of sorts, but much smaller. The plastic discs inside tend to come loose over time, too. Contrary to what some of the online whackjobs say, these hubcaps are not rare, weren't used on only one model, one year, whatever. I've seen them on wagons and other models in the 66-67 (maybe 68?) years.
Snow_10.JPG

Back