14" wheels and disc brakes.

Omni

Reaction score
Good Morning All
Forgive my ignorance, however, did Ma Mopar produce a 'C' body with disc brakes and 14" wheels?
Toying with the idea of retro-fitting the 'Party Barge' ("65 Newport).
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

Good Morning All
Forgive my ignorance, however, did Ma Mopar produce a 'C' body with disc brakes and 14" wheels?
Toying with the idea of retro-fitting the 'Party Barge' ("65 Newport).
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni
I've got a 66 Fury that I swapped a Summit Racing disc brake set up with my 14" wheels. Unfortunately I had to remove the weights that were on the inside rim to make clearance for the calipers.

No. If you want to keep your 14" wheels and wheel covers, I think you're stuck with the drum brakes. I once passed on a 66 Polara 500 convertible because it had the factory disc brakes with the ugly 15" disc brake wheel covers. I love the 14" spinner wheel covers Dodge had in 66 and I wouldn't have a 66 C body Dodge without them. In hindsight, I should have bought the car and converted it to drum brakes and 14" wheels.

I have a 61 Fury with disc brake conversion.
I have 15 inch wheels on it now
I would like to use 14s with stock hubcaps.
Picked up a set of 14inch rallies that I will be
putting on.
I believe they will work with discs.
Also the 73-up A body 14 inch wheels will work with discs.

7ADBDECD-6350-40BA-802D-F310C38C8FCF.jpeg

911B8CFA-5581-4677-902A-B2A6C95B9A0A.jpeg

CE8B0AC4-1D4B-4012-8D6E-DD47B5EA4A07.jpeg

Stock c body disc brakes no 14” wheels Fit over them.

srock A or B-body disc brakes then 14” wheels will fit.

and not all 14” stock wheels will clear the caliper, only some.

The issue with the 14" wheels and factory disc brakes is the contours of the inner wheel, between the mounting pad and the back half of the rim. As noted, things CAN get close between the wheel and caliper.

Initially, easier to use 15" wheels than to find a vendor with the necessary size/capabilities needed for the weight (actual and loaded weight) of a C-body and larger. Not to forget that the rotors cool from the inside diameter outward as the wheels turn. Having the outer rim so close to the rotor might hinder that in a mountainous drive in a loaded C-body wagon with a pleasure boat hooked to it, possibly?

Chevy put 14" wheels with factory disc brakes on the first gen Camaros, BUT they used special 14" wheels, which is where I learned of the "inner wheel contours" situation. As disc brakes were seen to be "the future of things", some universal wheel designs became available a year or so later.

Just some recollections,
CBODY67

I will be putting the 14in rally wheels that are the drum brake black fury on the 15in green fury disc brake conversion car soon. Will post results

G'Day,
A Possible Solution.
A Friend Loved his Original 14" Hubcaps
But had to run 15" Wheels.
Being a Little Handy He had the Lips of 14" Rims "Spun Off" in a Lathe
And Mig Star Welded them to his 15" Rims
Problem Solved!
Regards Tony.M

Just updating results of using 14 rallye wheels and or 14 in plain disc brake wheels from a volare.
Unfortunately neither one worked?? Wheel would not clear calipers.
Next I will try some stock 14 inch rims from from a disc brake 69 coronet wagon.

Once had a 65 impala SS with those wonderful wire spinner Hubcaps. The hubcaps were 14 inch but we’re actually mounted on 15 inch wheels with a very cool stainless steel adapter ring Obviously commercially made for just that purpose. I’ve never seen another set but it does make me wonder if these are out there on eBay or something?

Steve weim55 Colorado

I used a set of disc brakes from a 1980 Aspen on my 60 Dodge Dart. I have the stock 60 Dart wheels and spinner hubcaps. No rubbing. It is not an ideal situation for my car though since I kept the stock power booster and needed to have the dual master cylinder machined down some to make it fit under the booster. It holds a little less brake fluid because of that but I have not had issues with it running low on fluid as of yet. Biggest problem is the booster is not up to the task of locking up the front brakes any more. It is still an improvement over the dual wheel cylinder set-up that was on the car with the single pot master. I could never get them adjusted properly. Sometimes it would pull to the left and the next time pull to the right when I applied the brakes.
I would think using them on a 65 C body would be a good choice if you want to stick with 14" wheels.

Back