15" road wheels or ???

The Goose

Reaction score
Looking at an article in the new MCG while getting my windshield replaced in my work truck and I saw these again.

I've never seen these in real life. Ive only seen them in print. Ive always thought some 15x7 magnums with trim rings would look cool and NOT be 14 inchers. Is that what these are or is there a source for these 15 inch road wheels. Always wondered about this.

It's the 72 Charger article in the Oct 2018 mopar collectors guide.

IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

My guess is that they are chrome 15" road wheels/Magnum 500's that the owner put trim rings on to make it look more correct.

My guess is that they are chrome 15" road wheels/Magnum 500's that the owner put trim rings on to make it look more correct.
Ok cool, that's what I always thought - but you never know.

Like the Abody 14 inch small bolt road wheels. Ive never pulled out a ruler when I've seen em but I've always suspected the Abody ones were regular 14's on a big bolt pattern conversion.

The earlier Magnum 500s were solid chrome. Either 14x5.5 or possibly 14x6, up to 1969.

The post-'68 14" Magnum 500s had chrome centers and black-painted rim sections. Those used trim rings, as pictured. Think B-bodies. 1969 C-bodies transitioned into 15" wheels that year, on everything.

Magnum 500s were also used on Mustangs, in the 15x7 size, in the 1970 era. Ford also had some 14x6s, solid chrome, for Mustang's too. They'll have a Ford oval imprinted into the rim, on the back side and/or on the center section of the rim, where the wheel's size specs are, on the OEM Ford items. Seems like Ford also used them, with trim rings, into the mid-'70s on Torinos and Cougars? But only 14"?

The 15x7" wheels which were available on '70 E-bodies were the Chrysler Rallye wheels, which used trim rings, too. Different years had different colors/textures on the center caps. Those came with the G60-15 Polyglas GT RWL tires, as pictured. Might have been some availability on B-bodies too?

Similar Rallye wheels appeared on the '76 Charger SE, but were 15x6.5" rather than 15x7, with appropriate trim rings and different center caps.

All of the repro Magnum 500s are solid chrome, no trim ring. Can't understand somebody putting trim rings on those just for looks, unless something happened to the existing chrome that degraded it, it got rusty, or the wheel had to have the rim straightened. All things considered. ESPECIALLY considering the cost of the repro wheels AND the cost of the trim rings!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I wasn't aware Mopar ever offered 15" Road Wheels.
The Rallye Wheel was offered in 14" and 15" diameters.

The Chrome Road Wheel/Magnum 500 wheel was first offered in 1967 by Chrysler. Early in the 1968 production year Chrysler switched to the trim ring style Magnum 500. All Chrysler Magnum 500 wheels were 14".

Many folks including myself have put 15" chrome Magnum 500 wheels on our cars for a variety of reasons; they look great, they are close to what the factory offered, there are more tire sizes available in 15" and a 15" wheel is needed with most disc brake conversions.

I wasn't aware Mopar ever offered 15" Road Wheels.
The Rallye Wheel was offered in 14" and 15" diameters.

This might be "nit-picking", but the term "Road Wheel" was applied to the W23 Class II 16-slot wheels for C-bodies, first appearing in 1970 model year, in 15x6 size. It later became much more popular in '74 C-bodies and the '75 Cordobas (with the smooth center cap ornaments rather than the splined versions on the '70s. AMC had a version of them, too, but had some other cosmetic differences. A 15x7 version appeared on the 1979 Chrysler LeBarons.

The Fury GT had a version of this wheel to, with a unique look to it for that model.

The Chrysler Magnum 500s were only in 14" sizes. Ford used the 15x7 versions.

The repro 15x7 Magnum 500s, which are seen on many B-bodies do look good and have other mechanical benefits. Plus a wider variety of possible tire sizes.

The term "Rally Wheel" was popularized by Chevrolet/GM in about the 1967 model year. 14" and the Corvette 15" models (15x7 and 15x8 in later years), plus the early Z/28 15x6s). Buick also had some with a particular Buick hub cap. Chevy had a "cop car" hub cap for them, too.

Kind of like "PosiTrac" being generically applied to anybody's rear limited slip differential. IF it's not completely accurate, we still know what is meant. Chrysler people know you really mean "Sure Grip" and Ford people know "Equa-Lock". Detroit Locker is a different breed of the same.

Over time, it seems that more generic names, which started out as specific trade names, are used. Just seems to be the way things are progressing . . .

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Don't recall Chrysler ever using the term Magnum 500. The 14" steel Road Wheel was first offered on 1967 "B" bodies per sales brochures.
Mopar also called the 15" "C" body wheels Road Wheels when they came out later.

Chrysler's Rallye Wheel came out in 1970. Offered in 14" and 15" on "B" & "E" and 14" small bolt pattern for "A"s.

img_4746-jpg.jpg

I really like seeing the trim ring on this 15" wheel.

If you study the differences in the "Magnum" wheels, you can spot a 15" Ford wheel pretty easily. That trim ring camouflages that difference nicely.

If you really wanted, you can take the centers from a 14" wheel and have it mated to a 15" "hoop" in your choice of widths. It's probably easier to buy a repop, but modifying the stock wheel would keep the stock look a little better as the center won't be chrome like the Ford wheels.

Myself, I like the look of the rallye wheel. My '65 Barracuda is getting a set, even though it's not "correct" for the year.

wzYSvAQ.jpg

Year One sells repro 15" Road Wheels with a black painted rim for those that use trim rings.

I was looking on a Mustang website a little while ago. The Magnum 500s on Mustangs, 15x7, were on the '69 Boss 429 and later Boss 302 Mustangs. There were also some with silver-painted centers after about 1971, I believe it said.

When the Magnum 500s first appeared, Kelsey-Hayes or whomever also sold them aftermarket, so they weren't just OEM. I believe the aftermarket ones had a different center cap? Or one similar to the Chrysler cap. The Ford caps usually were shorter and had some emblem in them.

I like the Rallyes myself, now more than I used to. I put some of the Charger SE versions on my '70 DH43 with some new tires to move it around with. They look better than I expected. I've got some of the older center caps somewhere, too.

I know that everybodys in different locations and such, but it now seems that with all of the OEM-style wheel options we now have, saving up for a "sale" on repro wheels is a good thing to do, unless you can find a better deal on used wheels at a swap meet or where ever.

CBODY67

Holy crap Dave. I KNEW somebody would know !!! Look at that price for a 15x7 why on earth would you ever buy used again ???? Thanks man I know what I'm buying for Xmas.

Note that the wheels do NOT include trim rings. The trim rings are extra and are $45.68 each for the brushed trim ring.

That makes theses wheels much more expensive than the Ford style all chrome Magnum 500 wheels.

7" OEM Chrysler Trim Ring | Brushed

15x7 road wheels 1.jpg
15x7 road wheels 2.jpg
Personally that is the wheel I would go with as it looks like the Mopar Wheel that was offered in 1969-70. They look good on a b-body but 14 inch wheels are just too small. These in 15 inch fill up the wheel well much better. I would do some research before pulling the trigger to make sure there isn't more than one vendor and that the brushed trim rings were available. The chrome trim rings don't look right to me either.

Here are a couple examples of them in 15x7

Dave

I like them but I'm trying to decide if I keep the OE wheel covers on the 65 NYr or go with some new shoes. Will definitely be a wider 15" if I change shoes on the car

Wheel Vintiques has the solid chrome rim Magnum 500s. Personally, I wouldn't pay for a full chrome rim and put trim rings on it (which would scratch the chrome!). Don't forget that Center Caps are extra too! Plus chrome lug nuts, if you don't already have some. Good time to switch to '72-style thread directions, too! Many little things to increase the price of the bare wheel! But a generally good investment, too.

On the other hand, some of the formerly more popular customer wheels are over $300.00?wheel, for the bare wheel. Just depends upon "taste" and "finances".

CBODY67

Wheel Vintiques has the solid chrome rim Magnum 500s. Personally, I wouldn't pay for a full chrome rim and put trim rings on it (which would scratch the chrome!). Don't forget that Center Caps are extra too! Plus chrome lug nuts, if you don't already have some. Good time to switch to '72-style thread directions, too! Many little things to increase the price of the bare wheel! But a generally good investment, too.

On the other hand, some of the formerly more popular customer wheels are over $300.00?wheel, for the bare wheel. Just depends upon "taste" and "finances".

CBODY67

Yah. The little things sure add up quick. I've always liked the road wheels but don't want 14 inchers. That's whats always stopped me. I figure I'll buy one at a time and painlessly johnny cash me a set.

I got magnums on my 71 Torino and sometimes I run hubcaps. They snap right on and clear the center caps with tons of room. Totally changes the look of the car. Food for thought that way you can keep and run your original hub caps whenever the mood arises. Nobody but you will ever know what's underneath.

Back