15x8 tire size

Bill fury

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im sure its been covered,but cant find my answer when i searched it. What is the biggest tire i can fit on the back of a 70 Fury with a 15x8 rim? Could i go 5 inch backing space, or 4 1/2 ? Maybe 275 60 15 . Thanks
101013.jpeg

I'm running 275/60r15 on 15x8 magnums. 4 1/2 backspace on my 71 300 with no fitmit issues. Had 15x10s on before with the same tires but rubbed the outer wheel lip slightly on turns. I put a set of 295/55r15 drag radials on the 15x8s with no issues either.

I run 275/60/15 on 15/8 rims with 4 1/2 inch back spacing on my 69 Fury III. On the rear of course.

Last edited:
Yes congrats on the new ride. Looks nice..:thumbsup:

On my 70 a 275/60 fits either on a 7" rim with 3.5bs or 8" rim with 4-4.25bs. 4.5 is too much, it's into the spring.
I now have comparable sized 17" tires on 8's and I had to clearance the outer lips quite a bit

I am no expert because I have never owned a '70 but on my '68 I run American Racing VN501s in 17x7 with 4" backspace. They fit easily and I have no problems with any kind of rubbing or clearance.

I am no expert because I have never owned a '70 but on my '68 I run American Racing VN501s in 17x7 with 4" backspace. They fit easily and I have no problems with any kind of rubbing or clearance.
I’m interested in putting 17 inch wheels on my 68 New Yorker. Sounds like the size and backspacing you’re using work well for you. Zero offset, I take it?

I’m interested in putting 17 inch wheels on my 68 New Yorker. Sounds like the size and backspacing you’re using work well for you. Zero offset, I take it?

That is correct: zero offset. This picture was taken in late May (Memorial Day weekend) and with the front wheels turned out from backing in to the parking spot you can see the tire width. I run the same wheels wheels and tires on all four corners with a fifth in the trunk as a spare.

P1000021-2MP.JPG

That is correct: zero offset. This picture was taken in late May (Memorial Day weekend) and with the front wheels turned out from backing in to the parking spot you can see the tire width. I run the same wheels wheels and tires on all four corners with a fifth in the trunk as a spare.

View attachment 405089
Beautiful ride, Jim. I wonder whether 17x7, with 4 inches backspacing and 0 offset, would work and play nicely on my car. The only thing I fret over, with that setup, would be clearing the rear wheel well inserts. I'm thinking it would. In case I missed it, what size tires are you running with? I'm guessing 235/55R17s?

Beautiful ride, Jim. I wonder whether 17x7, with 4 inches backspacing and 0 offset, would work and play nicely on my car. The only thing I fret over, with that setup, would be clearing the rear wheel well inserts. I'm thinking it would. In case I missed it, what size tires are you running with? I'm guessing 235/55R17s?

Exactly right: 235/55R17s. As you can see my car does not have skirts but I would guess my car has about 2.5 inches between the rear tires and the quarter panel. I am not sure about the top of the fender well. However, my car sits at its stock ride height and I have had no problem with any clearance issues when it is full of people and gas.

Exactly right: 235/55R17s. As you can see my car does not have skirts but I would guess my car has about 2.5 inches between the rear tires and the quarter panel. I am not sure about the top of the fender well. However, my car sits at its stock ride height and I have had no problem with any clearance issues when it is full of people and gas.
So I’m guessing that the same wheel size/backspacing/offset would apply regardless of the wheel then?

At 17x7 I believe that is true, but I am not the expert so I can't say for certain. I would guess the 18 inch might be a little different, taller perhaps, but again, I can't say for certain.

At 17x7 I believe that is true, but I am not the expert so I can't say for certain. I would guess the 18 inch might be a little different, taller perhaps, but again, I can't say for certain.
Right, I meant with a 17 inch wheel (I should have said that in the first place... Haha!). I've read a couple posts re: 18x8, with 4.5 inch backspacing and zero offset working fine also, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Still thinking about it...

Right, I meant with a 17 inch wheel (I should have said that in the first place... Haha!). I've read a couple posts re: 18x8, with 4.5 inch backspacing and zero offset working fine also, but I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Still thinking about it...

I would not recommend going up to 18 inch wheels simply because as the sidewall gets smaller the air pressure required for the tire increases and that translates directly in to a harsher ride. I find that on my car I am OK with it up to about 40psi but higher than that starts to really affect the ride. It is just my personal opinion and might not be a problem for others, but I had to go up and down on the psi when I first got the tires a couple years back to find the sweet spot that I was happy with. Just another thing to think about when trying to decide.

I would not recommend going up to 18 inch wheels simply because as the sidewall gets smaller the air pressure required for the tire increases and that translates directly in to a harsher ride. I find that on my car I am OK with it up to about 40psi but higher than that starts to really affect the ride. It is just my personal opinion and might not be a problem for others, but I had to go up and down on the psi when I first got the tires a couple years back to find the sweet spot that I was happy with. Just another thing to think about when trying to decide.
Thanks Jim. I decided on 17s, whenever we get to that part. As you said, you pretty quickly get to a point of diminishing returns increasing wheel size and decreasing sidewall height. The suspensions on today’s cars are designed with those larger sizes in mind. Our old C Bodies weren’t. But, I think 17s will give me the look I want without sacrificing too much ride comfort. Just a matter of deciding on the wheel at this point. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back