16 slot road wheel; where to buy lug nuts?

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy the lug nuts for the 16 slot road wheels?

Thanks for any info!

chrysler 16 slot road wheel.png

When I bought my '70 Monaco Brougham in 1975, with the "then-unusual" W23 16-Slot Road Wheels, the lug nuts that were on the car were more like the one on the far left of your picture. With a medium "tower" on them. Should be the same ones that can on the later '75 Cordobas and C-bodies, I suspect. Other than the later cars would have only rh thread lug nuts.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Some years back, I was planning a road wheel lug nut thread, but it never came to be, so tonight I'll get a chance to use the photos that I took.

lug nuts 2.jpg

Number 1 is an original 1978 road wheel lug nut. It's the kind with a stainless cap.

Number 2 is what Dorman used to sell as a replacement for the road wheels. It's similar in style to the nuts used on the front wheel drive cars in the 80's, but taller. It's also stainless capped. It's been superceeded by a chrome plated solid nut, though many sellers have not updated their photos and still show a capped nut.

Number 3 is the ebay nut in my previous post. It's a chrome plated solid nut.

Number 4 is a McGard, chrome plated solid nut.

All four nuts have a 3/4" hex.

Side view:
IMG_6152.JPG

To my eyes, the McGards stick out too far.

Here's what they look like on the car. I don't have a photo of the original style nuts. It was a chore just to get access to the one that I used for the photos.

Dorman 611091:
IMG_6139.JPG

ebay:
IMG_6136.JPG

McGard:
IMG_6133.JPG

Dorman sells a nut that's similar in design to the original 1978 nut, but it is a 13/16" hex with a wide base, so it's probably not going to seat in the wheel all that well.
lug nuts 3.JPG

Jeff

I didn't know there was a specific lug nut. I have just generic auto parts store standard lug nuts on mine for many years now.

20200312_172257.jpg

20200312_172235.jpg

The Dorman (Chinese) lug nuts from Rockauto that I put on my car 2 years ago had rust on them after 2 months, after 2 years they have very little chrome left and have now been replaced by Mcgard lugs.

I've bought a few sets from this vendor. Decent quality and the plating has lasted. Have to watch with any replacement lug nuts that hex is often a little larger than the stock nuts. Just gotta carry a "4 way" or a breaker bar/socket and not depend on the jack handle to fit.

Items for sale by lugnutkingiv2005 | eBay

Problem with the solid chrome plated lug nuts is that unless you have some sort of "interface" between the socket and the nut, the chrome will crack and peel from the base steel nut, leaving rust, by observation. Impact wrenches can be you enemy. Been there, done that.

CBODY67

When I bought the Dorman lug nuts from Rockauto I also purchased a nice lug nut wrench and a deep socket to fit them. After installing them myself , just once, I sprayed them with WD40 and from that point on they all just shed their chrome plating. All down to super poor quality I think.
We sometimes buy this cheap stuff and then learn the lesson.

There is only one source that makes absolutely correct road wheel lug nuts and it is PG Classic. Here is a listing on Ebay for the left hand lug nuts and there is only one set of these left if you need LH ones (many have converted to all RH ones for the obvious reasons). Better be fast if you want to use Left hand ones...............................!!

PG Classic 244-LHSET Mopar LH Thread Lug Nuts (Set of 10) | eBay

The right hand ones are available........................

PG Classic 244-RHSET Mopar RH Thread Lug Nuts (Set of 10) | eBay

But with all things affordable in terms of relatively low volume reproduction Mopar parts they are made in China. Like it or not though their metalurgy seems to be very good these days in some cases. For PG Classic to offer them is also a good sign. I have bought many sets of these for my cars and they work fine.

Last time I looked, everything other source wasn't really correct since the original Mopar ones had a tit on the top of them just like Fury Pursuit said they did and so do these.

There is only one source that makes absolutely correct road wheel lug nuts and it is PG Classic. Here is a listing on Ebay for the left hand lug nuts and there is only one set of these left if you need LH ones (many have converted to all RH ones for the obvious reasons). Better be fast if you want to use Left hand ones...............................!!

PG Classic 244-LHSET Mopar LH Thread Lug Nuts (Set of 10) | eBay

The right hand ones are available........................

PG Classic 244-RHSET Mopar RH Thread Lug Nuts (Set of 10) | eBay

But with all things affordable in terms of relatively low volume reproduction Mopar parts they are made in China. Like it or not though their metalurgy seems to be very good these days in some cases. For PG Classic to offer them is also a good sign. I have bought many sets of these for my cars and they work fine.

Last time I looked, everything other source wasn't really correct since the original Mopar ones had a tit on the top of them just like Fury Pursuit said they did and so do these.
THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

You are very welcome. It took me quite some time to find reproductions that were actually faithful. It was worth it though since they are factory correct down to the smallest detail. That tells me something about the quality of PG Classic's products overall and efforts that go into their reproductions. They were reproduced using their own tooling and molds.

Last edited:
Back