1954 Firepower Hemi Industrial Engine.

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My friend Curtis is considering buying a 1954 irrigation machine that is powered by a Firepower hemi engine. He asked me if the bell housing matched any automotive transmissions. I have no answer. Does anyone know if a 1954 industrial V8 motor can be used in an automotive application? What are the obstacles?
Thanks, Ben

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score

fury fan

Reaction score
Probably the biggest question - what kind of vehicle would it go in? That might determine what installation options are acceptable.
Meaning, whether a home-built fenderless Deuce coupe or an early 50s sedan - might make a difference.

CBODY67

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Other than the bellhousing and such, the motor MOUNTS might be different too. Maybe even "reverse rotation"?

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Early Chrysler Hemi, Transmission Adapters, Flywheels, Mopar, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, DeSoto

As I understand it, some of the 1954 Hemi engines have the bellhousing cast with the block and that can make things difficult. I don't know where the industrial engines fit in. A call or email to the company I linked may help. I was looking at options with a flathead 6 and talked to the owner on The HAMB and he was pretty knowledgeable.
Hi Bob,
I texted Curtis the info for Hot Heads.
Ball's in his court now. Thanks, Ben

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Probably the biggest question - what kind of vehicle would it go in? That might determine what installation options are acceptable.
Meaning, whether a home-built fenderless Deuce coupe or an early 50s sedan - might make a difference.
It's some kind of station wagon.
Other than the bellhousing and such, the motor MOUNTS might be different too. Maybe even "reverse rotation"?
I know nothing about industrial, but I think reverse rotation is for a two engine boat where one prop counters the sideways movement created by the 2nd prop. My guess: that's not needed in an irrigation system. I'm sure motor mounts would need to be fabricated.

MONC440

Reaction score
My experience is the industrial or I engine blocks are the same as the car. If it is a 331 it will probably have an extended bell housing built into the block. If it is a 354 or 392 it will not have. All gen 1 hemi's have the same trans bolt pattern and 4 of the 6 holes line up with small block Mopar. You can easily get an adapter to bolt to a Mopar manual or automatic trans for less than $500. I have one on the shelf now that I plan to use with a 270 Dodge Hemi going into a Model A Ford. The only opposite rotating engines I have seen are for boats with twin engines but I could be wrong. The tell tail for the revers rotation is it will not have a timing chain it will be gear driven.

Pic below is the specs for bold measurements from HEMI to LA engine

Links to the HAMB form
Hemi ID
HEMI Tech- Identification

Here is my link to the adapter I made for mine
Early Hemi to LA Mopar Bellhousing Adapter

HEMI TO LA copy.jpg

MAXWEDGECHAR

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think they took the block extension off the 331 when they went to PowerFlites? My '52 Imperial had it But my '54 New Yorker Deluxe didn't I think.