1956 GMC 250 4x4

69 300 vert

Reaction score
I've watched this channel for years, he has a depth of knowledge and training I lack. Some years ago he found the coolest GMC truck I've ever seen, I suspect it was a promotional build truck, surely no one would have ordered it this way in 1956?

When he found it:

Currently it's for sale, I was looking forward to his restoration

For sale:

1956 GMC 250 Deluxe | eBay

The utility companies here in Oregon (Note OR plate!) bought some of these GMC with automatic 4wd to service power lines in remote areas. V-8 engine would usually be either a 317 Pontiac or 324 Olds. About mid '56 GM switched from the first generation hydramatic to the Jetaway style hydramatic. Jetaway had a park gear shifter spot the older transmission did not. This particular unit has too many options to have been a utility rig, especially with the chrome package and a radio. Wondering if it might have been a tow truck at some time early in its life.

Dave

Last edited:
An interesting and unusual vehicle! NAPCO did all of GM's fwd conversions, prior to about the 1967 model year. Curious about the "250" designation being what the seller indicates, as a "100" is a 1/2 ton truck. BTAIM.

GMC did not have their own V-type motors until about 1962, with their famous V-6s and related V-12s. Hence the need for using BOP engines, as their HD 6-cyl inline engines topped-out at 302cid. Automatic transmissions an pickup trucks was a rarity, back then, but available. Even in a Chevy 1/2 ton (which got the HydraMatic in the earlier 1950s).

A survivor that needs work and might be worth over $30K at an auction, fully restored, for the right buyer?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

100 was 1/2ton, 150 was 3/4 ton, 200 was 1 to, 250 was a 1.5 ton. Current bid is up to $5k, unique and rare truck, but with a rusty floor and seized engine, I do not see the bid going much higher. Comes with a running 389cid Pontiac engine which does not really fit with the older gen hydramatic without some significant modifications. GMC trucks retained the older hydramatic until about 1960, cars got the Jetaway hydramatic.

Dave

The 389 is a '59 model, should be simple R&R? I think I remember in the first video he found the original air cleaner?

Higher line cars kept the hydramatic for a few more years. In 1961, Catalina's got the slim jim, Bonneville's got the hydramatic. May that lasted until '64? Not certain.

The 389 is a '59 model, should be simple R&R? I think I remember in the first video he found the original air cleaner?

Higher line cars kept the hydramatic for a few more years. In 1961, Catalina's got the slim jim, Bonneville's got the hydramatic. May that lasted until '64? Not certain.

The jetaway hydramatic lasted in some models until '64. The truck has the earlier version of the hydramatic. Those had that miserable bolt together fluid coupling with something like 31 bolts. That thing had to be taken apart to remove the transmission. You have to rotate the fluid coupling about 2" at a time to access each bolt. That is going to be fun with a seized engine still attached. I am not sure, but as I recall the fluid coupling has a different attachment to the crank so I do not think it is a straight bolt on to install a jetaway transmission or vice versa with the older hydramatic. The Jetaway transmission used a conventional flex plate to mount the fluid coupling to the engine.

Dave

Last edited:
Back