1960 318 Poly Starter?

Kapt

Reaction score
I forget. What newer starter will cross over and work on a 1960 318 Poly?

I read that a (I think it was) 90 Dodge something or other bolts right on and works perfectly. I cannot remember what it was exactly

I read that a (I think it was) 90 Dodge something or other bolts right on and works perfectly. I cannot remember what it was exactly

You are probably thinking of the mini starter that was used on later mopar products. Poly engines '61 and older used a different transmission and mounting system and the mini starter will not work.

Dave

What works then? Every parts store I've looked at says unavailable

You might have to have to have yours rebuilt. Try E-bay for starter MDU 3453, MDU 6001, MDM 6001, these are likely to fit. Might be able to tell if they look like the one you have.

Dave

I'm told that the starter off a 95 - 98 Dakota V-8 bolts right on and gives a higher torque when cranking. Much less expensive too. Any truth to this?

Yeah, but for how much? And how long does it take? If the Dakota starter works it's $60 and a few minutes of down time

Yeah, but for how much? And how long does it take? If the Dakota starter works it's $60 and a few minutes of down time

I am admittedly not familiar with the Dakota fix. You would be wanting to check the snout depth on the Dakota starter and also the number of teeth on the Dakota starter drive. If either is off, you will destroy something.

Dave

The Facebook page for The Forward Look is where I heard about the Dakota starter

I would try the website and not Facebook. There’s a large library of info there. Good luck anyway. Would be interesting to see how a Dakota one fits the early bellhousing setup. Post some pics if you find out more.
The Facebook page for The Forward Look is where I heard about the Dakota starter[/QUOTE

I have a rebuilt 12 volt starter for a flathead six. If that fits, we can make a smoking deal on that.

I may not need it. I found out today there's a guy locally that rebuilds them. I will keep in mind though if I need it. Any idea what he wants for it?

Back