1960 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country

nicksgarage

Reaction score
Here is my 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country that I bought at an auction in Indiana in October of 2019. It's basically been sitting since 1978. The second owner bought it in 1973 and drove it through high school and then parked it in his family's lake house garage. He got it out somewhere around 2014 to try and get it running again. When it was sitting at a shop someone wanted to buy it and he sold it. It was originally sold in Los Angeles and looks to have lived in Pasadena before going to Indiana. It's actually pretty solid. It has patch panels in the rear lower quarters and was repainted in 1976. When I got it, the exhaust system was totally shot with no mufflers or center pipes under the car. Gas tank was thrown away by the third owner and I had to find one. I haven't had much time to work on it but now getting it ready to get running again. Replacing fuel and brake lines and putting new tank in as well as complete exhaust system.

Not many of these left out there running or not. Hard to find parts for.

60tc_001.jpg

60tc_002.jpg

60tc_003.jpg

60tc_004.jpg

60tc_005.jpg

60tc_007.jpg

Last edited:
These are sweet. Looks like it has Cruise Control, yes?

Missing brake release.

7 button radio!

These are sweet. Looks like it has Cruise Control, yes?

Missing brake release.

7 button radio!

I have more info on the car on my web site - Nick's Garage

The brake release handle is broken off. A common problem with these cars as it has an unusual operation and people would break the handle off trying to get the brake off. You pull out and then push down to release. There are actually instructions molded into the handle. Early 1960 cars had a different type.

The options on the car include:
Third Seat
Dual A/C
Autopilot (cruise control)
Tinted Glass
Power Door Locks
Power Seat
Golden Touch Tune Radio
Right Outside Mirror

New Yorkers came standard with power windows and left side remote outside mirror as well as dual exhaust. Options my car doesn't have include, swivel seats, roof rack (dealer installed), Mirrormatic (dealer installed), Sure Grip axle and automatic headlight dimmer.

An interesting thing on my car is that it had special order tires. I'm pretty sure it would have been blackwall Captive Air (run flat) tires. The only other tire above what came standard on these would have been the Blue Streak tires of the 300F. Whitewall Captive Air tires were a standard option. There were also Blue Streak Captive Airs that could have been special ordered on the 300F. I may never know what it actually came with.

The brake release handle is broken off. A common problem with these cars as it has an unusual operation and people would break the handle off trying to get the brake off. You pull out and then push down to release. There are actually instructions molded into the handle.
I used to get a kick out of watching guys try to release my brake at a car wash or their shop! Ha! '62 New Yorker sedan.

dash.JPG

Last edited:
You just do NOT see these - well optioned, looks pretty solid, basically; and complete. Was it originally "double black" like this? Likely not a common color combo. for a wagon.

Good luck with it - and keep us posted.

You just do NOT see these - well optioned, looks pretty solid, basically; and complete. Was it originally "double black" like this? Likely not a common color combo. for a wagon.

Good luck with it - and keep us posted.

Yes, black on black. I would have preferred the cloth interior as the vinyl one looks very cheap. I'm not going to change it. Ordered material from SMS to do the first two rows of seats as the third seat is in pretty good shape. Hardest thing to find right now is the correct carpet. The cargo area carpet is good except one spot on the side that needs patching but the front floor carpets need to be replaced and nobody has the deep cut pile carpet.

cargocarpet.jpg

thirdseat.jpg

I'm going to be putting wire wheels on it with blackwall tires. Already had the wheels and just had to buy two new tires to match the ones that were on the rear. I have the original wheels and a couple of the wheelcovers but there is only one choice for 14" tires which I have on my 300F. Everyone asks me if the car is a hearse.

wires01.jpg

I have more info on the car on my web site - Nick's Garage

The brake release handle is broken off. A common problem with these cars as it has an unusual operation and people would break the handle off trying to get the brake off. You pull out and then push down to release. There are actually instructions molded into the handle. Early 1960 cars had a different type.

The options on the car include:
Third Seat
Dual A/C
Autopilot (cruise control)
Tinted Glass
Power Door Locks
Power Seat
Golden Touch Tune Radio
Right Outside Mirror

New Yorkers came standard with power windows and left side remote outside mirror as well as dual exhaust. Options my car doesn't have include, swivel seats, roof rack (dealer installed), Mirrormatic (dealer installed), Sure Grip axle and automatic headlight dimmer.

An interesting thing on my car is that it had special order tires. I'm pretty sure it would have been blackwall Captive Air (run flat) tires. The only other tire above what came standard on these would have been the Blue Streak tires of the 300F. Whitewall Captive Air tires were a standard option. There were also Blue Streak Captive Airs that could have been special ordered on the 300F. I may never know what it actually came with.
Nick, The 9 passengers all came with black wall Captive air tires. (they carried no spare at all because of the need for foot room for the 3rd facing rear seat) Nice Long Roof BTW, Jer

Last edited:
My favorite wagon of all times! Owned a '60 Windsor Convertible back in the early 90's, still beating myself up for selling it

Almost John, lol. That long roof jarez my memory bankz
Nick, The 9 passengers all came with black wall Captive Air tires. (they carried no spare at all because of the need for foot room for the 3rd facing rear seat) Nice Long Roof BTW. Oh Yeah, I have "0" spare partz but I have a few sources. What partz are you looking for? Jer

Nick, The 9 passengers all came with black wall Captive air tires. (they carried no spare at all because of the need for foot room for the 3rd facing rear seat) Nice Long Roof BTW, Jer

In 1960 the Captive Air tires were not standard on any models. The ones available as a regular option were whitewalls. The order form did not show blackwall ones even though it shows blackwall standard tires. A friend has a 1960 New Yorker wagon that was ordered with blackwalls even though whitewalls were standard. The spare tire fits under the third seat bottom. It's even covered in the owners manual. Plenty of foot room with a spare in place. I even found an original cover for mine. I asked the owner who bought the car in 1973 and he said he had to ask the dealer for a jack and they gave him a funky bottle jack that was still in the car when I got it. No sign that a jack had ever been installed under the middle seat.

20200828_202604.jpg

20200828_202622.jpg

Back