1960 Imperial for Sale - Real Time Capsule - 8961 Original Miles, Not Mine

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ran across this listing for what is an amazing car - a one owner car with only 8961 miles. This is the text of the listing:

Ad No.: 498 - Subject: 1960 Crown Imperial - Posted on: 9/18/2019
City: Torrance - State/Country: Ca
Reply to: Allan Ivory at [email protected]

This is a 1 owner car that has been in storage. Push button, Auto trans. Odometer shows 8,961 miles and is absolutely complete and original with every original part intact. The car runs amazing, All chrome and stainless are in very good shape,The interior is very immaculate and original almost perfect vinyl. The fabric on the seats and door panels are in also amazing original condition. The headliner is also very nice, The body is straight, with solid floor pans. Rocker panels and door bottoms are solid. All the glass is flawless. The original keys and owner's manuals are included. Engine rebuilt, bored out, new pistons + rings, new cam, new bearings, new valves, new water pump, new radiator, new spark plugs + wires, 5 new white wall tires, new gas tank acid washed, new brake slave cylinders + lines, fresh oil change, new tranny filter + fresh tranny fluid. 20,000$ OBO call email text for more info ?? 310-347-7981

I learned from the seller that the engine was rebuilt by himself, who is a Porsche Engineer and technician. He is selling the car for the original owner, a good friend of his. This is pretty much a "new" 60 year old luxury vehicle that has been well preserved in the dry Southern California climate and the nice condition of the chrome reflects that.

1960 Imperial Very Low Miles - Green #15.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles - Green #4.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles - Green #2.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles #8.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles - Green #7.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles - Green #5.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles Green #12 jpg.jpg
1960 Imperial Very Low Miles #10.jpg

Wow... sounds almost to good to be true. I think the '60 was the best looking Imperial of the forward look era.

20k is a great price especially with what's been done to it already.

Thanks Stan! man what a terrible platform that sight has. I will assume then that Steve got those pics directly from the seller.
I was hoping for full size pics so I could better see the the condition of the paint.(not because I’m interested)
That paint looks so heavily oxidized, this car could shine like new again with a day or 2 of effort.

Last edited:
The engine bay needs cleaning/detailing if they hope to get that much $.

I am wondering why a car with only about 9k miles would have such dull paint and needed and engine rebuild.

Dave

If it needs a paint job -$5000. A parts car I purchased years ago w/low miles ('59 Imperial) still needed the motor rebuilt. Someone cut off the air cleaner snorkel and put a larger one on it. What else would a personal inspection reveal....... My opinion is $15000 max.

Thanks Stan for posting the link. Yes, Matt, I did get the photos from the seller and I posted the link text in my initial post since the Imperial Club platform is pretty weak. From what he says, it already runs and drives fine, but needs cleaning up. Some folks like to do that themselves with a car like this. The seller is a friend of the owner and is helping with the sale and communicates pretty well, although he didn't directly answer my question as to why the engine needed rebuilding. I kind of assumed that with sitting so long, it is wise to dissemble the engine and make sure the core plugs and head gaskets, etc. are still good before trying to start it perhaps.

It appears to me that the car was actually stored in a carport with a lot of covers on it to protect it rather than being stored in a garage. I don't know why. For a genuine time capsule like this one, I feel the price is just right if not a little low for such an amazing car/design - at least to me. If it had been a two door and had a/c, I would have owned it by now. It is one of my favorite Imperial designs as well. Really unique and beautiful to me.

Just recently I sold all 6 of my 1960 Imperials to a collector in the Bay Area of California since I had to let some of my restoration projects go. He will give them the attention they deserve and has a full time restoration expert to work on them.

This morning, I let the last two go on a transporter:

60 Imperials Loaded #3 (1).jpg

It hurt to see the last ones leave......................................

Last edited:
Thanks Stan for posting the link. Yes, Matt, I did get the photos from the seller and I posted the link text in my initial post since the Imperial Club platform is pretty weak. From what he says, it already runs and drives fine, but needs cleaning up. Some folks like to do that themselves with a car like this. The seller is a friend of the owner and is helping with the sale and communicates pretty well, although he didn't directly answer my question as to why the engine needed rebuilding. I kind of assumed that with sitting so long, it is wise to dissemble the engine and make sure the core plugs and head gaskets, etc. are still good before trying to start it perhaps.

It appears to me that the car was actually stored in a carport with a lot of covers on it to protect it rather than being stored in a garage. I don't know why. For a genuine time capsule like this one, I feel the price is just right if not a little low for such an amazing car/design - at least to me. If it had been a two door and had a/c, I would have owned it by now. It is one of my favorite Imperial designs as well. Really unique and beautiful to me.

Just recently I sold all 6 of my 1960 Imperials to a collector in the Bay Area of California since I had to let some of my restoration projects go. He will give them the attention they deserve and has a full time restoration expert to work on them.

View attachment 318395

:(

View attachment 318395

Thinning the herd?

Thinning the herd?

Its more like "continuing to thin the herd" Scott. Focusing is important to getting my most valued vehicles completed. It took me a while to decide which ones I liked the most and didn't need everything to make them really nice. I have restored all but one of my Forward Look cars that I really wanted to complete (my 1958 Dodge Regal Lancer remains) and the ones I have left that resonante the most with me are my Chrysler 300s and a New Yorker, Imperials, Dodges and one or two Plymouths - all fuselage models. I would also like to complete one of my 300Ls but realistically, I will likely sell them.

I am wondering why a car with only about 9k miles would have such dull paint and needed and engine rebuild.

My 67 Polara with original paint was very heavily oxidized, like this car. I was a little concerned. A wash with Dawn detergent removed about 70% of the oxidation and the potential of a cut and buff became apparent. This Imperial would shine like a new penny once detailed.

It's not unusual for a engine that has sat dormant for a long period of time to have the piston rings or wrist pins "seize". Even if freeded up a freshing up of the engine would be in order. Likely all new standard parts will suffice.

Back