1961 dart Pheonix in Portland concerns

Cody

Reaction score
Going to look and hopefully buy a 1961 Dodge dart Phoenix I found in portland on 7-6-19 and spots I should look for rust [i get everywhere] what spots are most common other issues as well said to have all the parts in boxes. Thanks Cody
Screenshot_20190622-100451_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190622-100457_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190622-100505_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dad had one of these when I was VERY young . . . always said it was his favorite car. Odd styling, that's for sure . . . but they do kinda grow on you after a while . . . I'd love to have it!

These rusted on the trunk floor, lower quarter radii, rockers and the lower part of the front fenders. Pretty much the same as everything else. Looks to be a NW car that did not see any salt which is good. I hope the front fenders come with the car as they are a tough item to find. Check the A-Pillars and the rear window channel as both are a PIA to repair.
Converting this car to a modern hemi, is also going to be a major PIA. The engine mounts will have to be fabricated along with the exhaust. Note that this car has a push button, cast iron torque flight that is not ever going to be compatible with any modern engine. It also has ball and trunion u-joints which also would not be up to the task of hemi power. Doing this type of conversion will involve a lot of grunt work making all the parts necessary to make the hemi and a modern transmission fit. It might be more practical and cheaper to find another 318 poly and drop a stroker kit in that if yours is indeed junk. If you search the Hot Rod magazine archives, someone built just such an engine and got hemi style horsepower out of it. Would be hard to beat as a conversation piece.

Dave

Floor boards, trunk floor and lower cowl are rust prone. Car looks solid though. $3000.00 would be closer to the fair market value, IF the front clip is included.
Parts..... HARD to find. These cars are not for the faint hearted. Even most pros don't know how to do them correctly.

Back