For Sale 1961 Desoto 4 Door Hardtop - $16500 (N. Wilmington)

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
1961 Desoto 4 Door Hardtop

I bought this car a little over one year ago from the second owner, who owned this car since the mid 1960's. The car was stored in his garage for about 40 years when I bought her. In the time that I owned the car I made her a solid and dependable driver by making the following repairs: rebuilt carburetor, new fuel pump, water pump, power steering pressure and return lines. New water and vacuum hoses, brake shoes, wheel cylinders and brake hoses. Cleaned the fuel tank and blew out the fuel line, added thermal and acoustic floor insulation, recored the radiator, flushed the trans fluid, power steering, brake fluid and oil change. Finally, I bought new Coker wide white wall tires, new brake light switch, had her aligned and gave her a good and thorough detailing. The car is in its original color however was a medium metallic blue in it's prior life. During my time with the car I discovered that the current paint is single-stage and is about 40 years old. There is evidence of the right rear quarter panel being damaged in the past with some filler in the lower portion and dinged moulding. The interior fabric was reupholstered about 40 years ago while reusing the original vinyl, and aftermarket air conditioning was added in 1968. The chrome is original to the car and shows its age and wear in spots, there are various pieces of moulding that are dinged, and the body has some minor dings from its time in storage. The odometer shows 29K miles, which could be original given that not a single spot of rust has been found anywhere on the car. No rust on the underside, under the headlight buckets or floors. So even though I replaced so many of the key items on this car there are still some minor issues that still need to be addressed. The power brake booster is starting to hiss from inside the car when applying the brakes, an upper control arm bushing is worn and causes a bang when turning the steering wheel to full lock and I get a drip or two of engine oil every week or so. As for price, I'd like to get $16,500 for the car and I'm located in Wilmington, DE. I've also made a few videos on the car and have added them to my Youtube video library here: East Coast Classics
[email protected]
00e0e_5LatYYUEQlV_600x450.jpg

00e0e_5LatYYUEQlV_50x50c.jpg
01616_1BgcvloCKWS_50x50c.jpg
00E0E_ha4RV9qA71v_50x50c.jpg
00a0a_8Um0LotkwOw_50x50c.jpg
00H0H_lXPr6WhCUf0_50x50c.jpg
00n0n_ktM0IW3FxZv_50x50c.jpg
00X0X_jVXtck7KpU6_50x50c.jpg
00a0a_cEe2vd2sHiZ_50x50c.jpg
00606_1VNiDBcxBBq_50x50c.jpg
00A0A_5YBgUvHu477_50x50c.jpg
00303_6JwYgtv0TwT_50x50c.jpg
01515_hQgD6H8TMRD_50x50c.jpg
00G0G_19cctb0Rw6W_50x50c.jpg
00e0e_5brtHu47qAr_50x50c.jpg
00202_8msKtNv62HL_50x50c.jpg
01111_c3OHnKN20HT_50x50c.jpg
00I0I_dKSFaoItOZ5_50x50c.jpg

I bought this car a little over one year ago from the second owner, who owned this car since the mid 1960's. The car was stored in his garage for about 40 years when I bought her. In the time that I owned the car I made her a solid and dependable driver by making the following repairs: rebuilt carburetor, new fuel pump, water pump, power steering pressure and return lines. New water and vacuum hoses, brake shoes, wheel cylinders and brake hoses. Cleaned the fuel tank and blew out the fuel line, added thermal and acoustic floor insulation, recored the radiator, flushed the trans fluid, power steering, brake fluid and oil change. Finally, I bought new Coker wide white wall tires, new brake light switch, had her aligned and gave her a good and thorough detailing. The car is in its original color however was a medium metallic blue in it's prior life. During my time with the car I discovered that the current paint is single-stage and is about 40 years old. There is evidence of the right rear quarter panel being damaged in the past with some filler in the lower portion and dinged moulding. The interior fabric was reupholstered about 40 years ago while reusing the original vinyl, and aftermarket air conditioning was added in 1968. The chrome is original to the car and shows its age and wear in spots, there are various pieces of moulding that are dinged, and the body has some minor dings from its time in storage. The odometer shows 29K miles, which could be original given that not a single spot of rust has been found anywhere on the car. No rust on the underside, under the headlight buckets or floors. So even though I replaced so many of the key items on this car there are still some minor issues that still need to be addressed. The power brake booster is starting to hiss from inside the car when applying the brakes, an upper control arm bushing is worn and causes a bang when turning the steering wheel to full lock and I get a drip or two of engine oil every week or so. As for price, I'd like to get $16,500 for the car and I'm located in Wilmington, DE. I've also made a few videos on the car and have added them to my Youtube video library here: East Coast Classics
[email protected]
View attachment 144135
View attachment 144136View attachment 144137View attachment 144138View attachment 144139View attachment 144140View attachment 144141View attachment 144142View attachment 144143View attachment 144144View attachment 144145View attachment 144146View attachment 144147View attachment 144148View attachment 144149View attachment 144150View attachment 144151View attachment 144152
There was an older gentleman and his wife who drove one of these back in the sixties and into the seventies back in my hometown of Sudbury MA. It was rusty, silver with a red interior. I could see it coming from a mile away!! One day it was gone, I always wonder

[email protected]
View attachment 144135
View attachment 144136View attachment 144137View attachment 144138View attachment 144139View attachment 144140View attachment 144141View attachment 144142View attachment 144143View attachment 144144View attachment 144145View attachment 144146View attachment 144147View attachment 144148View attachment 144149View attachment 144150View attachment 144151View attachment 144152
Back in the sixties and the early seventies there was an older gentleman and his wife that drove a 61 DeSoto four door hardtop silver with a red interior. It was pretty rusty but I could see it coming down the road a mile away back in my hometown of Sudbury MA. One day it was gone. I always wondered what happened to it. This one is a BEAUTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back