1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer D-500

abloch

Reaction score
This is my most recent acquisition. Sent away for the IBM card and information from Chrysler historical. Flew out to Vegas, caught a bus to Kingman, Arizona and drove it home to Seattle. This car is a keeper!

This is my most recent acquisition. Sent away for the IBM card and information from Chrysler historical. Flew out to Vegas, caught a bus to Kingman, Arizona and drove it home to Seattle. This car is a keeper!

Now that's my way of thinking..... drive it home. A wonderful way to bond with the car. Your acquiring quite a nice Forward Look collection abloch.

Fairly uneventful trip back. First fuel stop was a bit of a scare. All I can figure is that the car sat for a while with mostly water in it. Once it got up to temp it needed to "burp" and it burped right past the cap. I flushed the radiator a few times, topped it off with a gallon of 50/50 and hit the road. Never got hot again. The other thing was the ball and trunnion went out of balance around the California Oregon border. Had a really annoying vibration right in the sweet spot, between 62-70 MPH. So we did 70+ as much as we could the rest of the way.
BURP.jpg
61Cars.jpg

Beautiful car! I bet you wished the trip back lasted longer. That must have been a thrill to pilot that Dodge back home. Gotta love those reverse fins.

Wow,that water in the radiator was sure rusty. Doesn't look like he had any antifreeze in there at all. My phoenix had the same vibration in the "sweet spot",on my car it was the rear u joint.

I can not believe that it has been almost four years...
Still got the Dart! Went through the entire cooling/heating system. Flushed the engine three times and I am still getting rusty water out of it. Found an "HP" air cleaner on a 1958 Plymouth 350ci. Redid the interior with NOS seat covers sourced out of Australia. New Coker bias plys. oh, and a correctly date coded Carter AFB and wide finned alternator.
DartManual.jpg
D500engine.jpg
PioneerGT.jpg
pioneerinterior copy.jpg
Current project is to install a floor shift and make it look as if it had been done by the factory.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I like the 61 alternator. I have 61 Plymouth with what I believe maybe a dealer installed hurst shifter in 61? I know this yoyo hurst shifter came out in 61. Car was owned by Chrysler exec.
Here's article to say it was possiable?

This picture maybe helpful with the conversion to 4-speed set-up.
It’s supposed to be a legit factory 4-speed in a 1962 Chrysler 300

4BDFF064-6AF6-408F-9C0C-577FCC8BEF13.jpeg

Also in 1961 both the lancer & valiant were availble with manual floorshifter (from the factory).

Set-up for Dodge Lancer from the 1961 parts catalog. Again might be good insight.

3FA4AAE7-EE99-4EE7-8D94-D6DB3F648846.jpeg

Contacted a guy local to me who has a ‘61 floor shift Newport. I’m going up on Saturday to see and measure. I’m a bit hesitant to cut out a hole in sixty year old virgin floor pans. But there is no avoiding it. Keeping the three speed!

Your new interior looks spot on from what I can recall - great find.
Love your 1961 Fury as well!
Your Dart is very close to my only remaining bucket list car - a 1961 Dodge Polara. Still can't find one after all these years. Mostly different in the rear tail light treatment:

1961-dodge-polara-coupe-lhd.jpg

8424142-2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Contacted a guy local to me who has a ‘61 floor shift Newport. I’m going up on Saturday to see and measure. I’m a bit hesitant to cut out a hole in sixty year old virgin floor pans. But there is no avoiding it. Keeping the three speed!

Are you sure you want to do that swap? Are you planning on trashing the old T85 through the gears? I think I would leave it OEM, as delivered, and be very happy. :)

Quite sure. Been driving the three on the tree (A745) long enough. Time to change it up a bit. T85 was only vaguely available at the time in '61.

Last edited:
I also have a 61 fury with 361 3 on tree. It's a chore to drive in traffic. Kinda a novelty to have.
I've thought about making a floor shift,but decided to keep it stock.
I would like to see close up pics of hump on 61 Chrysler. I want to put a floor hump in the one with yoyo shifter.
Could any of you guys tell me if a 61 poly 318 3 speed trans is the same as a 361 3speed trans? Except for bellhousing?

Back