1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Cody

Reaction score
Hello I'm thinking about purchasing one of my dream cars a 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2 door coupe for $850. I wanted to see if anyone already has one and where they would go to get some parts as I'm in need of some if I do purchase the car. Thanks Cody my computer wont let me pics on here but if you go to Wyoming Craigslist and search 1960 Dodge it pops up as a near location. I don't know why the owner has it as a 1960, because It's clearly a 1961. Thanks any info will be greatly appreciated.

This one?
1960 Dodge Pioneer
00c0c_iYlujz0zcs3_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_jeSjNqG0o0X_1200x900.jpg

Not to discourage you, but this is a project not for the faint of heart. Lot's of hours and $$$$ involved.

I'm sorry if you find this insulting, Cody, but....
I'm having trouble reconciling this statement,
where they would go to get some parts as I'm in need of some if I do

with this car.
00c0c_iylujz0zcs3_1200x900-jpg.jpg

You will never, ever, see the equivalent of this for FULL SIZE RWD Mopars.

s-l300.jpg

Cody, I give you credit for chasing your dream. This is a very cool car worthy of the task of getting it back on the road. Part of the fun us sourcing( scrounging for) parts. Good luck with your project!
:thumbsup:

Keeping in mind that I do not consider myself particularly adept at vehicle restoration and that this body style also resides on my dream car list: If you go after this one, you've got guts, talent and patience I'll never have. Kudos on the find man, one of the coolest cars ever built in my book.

To expand on Stan's comment, the parts for this car aren't going to come from a couple sources. It will take a lot of time searching eBay, Hemmings (get a subscription), Craigslist etc. Expect to spend time searching for parts at places like Carlisle and Hershey. Guys like Murray Park might be able to help you out with a part or two even. Best bet is to buy a parts car.

If you look at the front brake drum, you'll see it's spent some time sunk down in the mud. That means the floor and possibly the frame is rusted. How bad? You won't really know until you've gotten up close and personal with it. You won't find replacement floor pans. You'll have to cut them from another car or fabricate them yourself. That's just one area. Coming up with replacement interior stuff may be even harder and very pricey.

IMHO, you'd be time and money (lot's of money) ahead to buy something that runs and drives.... or is much closer than this car. This car is priced correctly as a parts car. Some good sheet metal etc. It might be a good starting point to buy this as a future parts car (it's cheap enough) and then look for the right car to restore.

Please don't get offended by the caution that these fellas are expressing. They have been down this road a time or two previously and are trying to open your eyes to what lies ahead.
I completely agree with Stan and Big John. There are guys here who've "been there done that "and fully understand what's entailed with a project of this scope and magnitude. I've started projects only to lose interest or get frustrated and quit. But far be it for me to tell anyone that it's not worth it or can't be done. Dont know his skill level, desire or "can do " attitude. If nothing else, it'll be a valuable learning experience.

One last thought.....yes as MoPar faithful we will probably never "C" the aftermarket industry serve our beloved full size cars to the extent of Chevy's, Ford's etc. You can basically build your own kit for some of the more popular brand "X" autos and even the MoPar B, E and A bodies. There's a level of satisfaction and pride having something out of the ordinary at the cruise night or car show. I dig looking a 4 door New Yorker or anything with a Slant 6. That's cool stuff!!

I know how many years Will has spent collecting all the stuff for his 61 Plymouth. And he knew what he was doing!! :wideyed:

That would be a great parts car for a complete running car that was solid underneath but needed quarters and front fenders like most of them do.

You could buy a completely restored car ready to enjoy for less money than it will take to make that one into a driver quality 20 footer.

Kevin

You could buy a completely restored car ready to enjoy for less money than it will take to make that one into a driver quality 20 footer.

A lot less money... I'll bet a factor of at least 2 and that's doing most of the work yourself.

Here is one that is together and running, beautiful car.
If you google classic cars for sale, 1961 full sized dodge dart, it will direct you to the link below, for some reason, this link does not work from inside for cbodiesonly.

https://classicars.com/listings/find/all-years/dodge/dart
It is on the bottom of the page.

You can buy this car for about half what it will cost to restore the one in photos.

Dave

Last edited:
Sure, you can go out and buy a restored or very nice used one, drive it and enjoy it if that what you wanna do.
On the other hand, perhaps the OP wants the pride of saying I did this, I created what I wanted. Perhaps it's not abt having what someone else did but doing it the way he wants. Concours resto...rat rod...resto mod...whatever he chooses. The project and satisfaction of whatever direction is chosen is his to relish.

Sure, you can go out and buy a restored or very nice used one, drive it and enjoy it if that what you wanna do.
On the other hand, perhaps the OP wants the pride of saying I did this, I created what I wanted. Perhaps it's not abt having what someone else did but doing it the way he wants. Concours resto...rat rod...resto mod...whatever he chooses. The project and satisfaction of whatever direction is chosen is his to relish.

Fair enough but I would still at least start with a complete car and use this one for parts. Between the 2 he will have all the unobtanium parts covered. That shell appears to have usable sheet metal which anything you can buy complete for reasonable $$$ won't have but what the complete car will have is all the trim and assorted doodads that are impossible to find for a one year only car.

By the time you get that all screwed together and looking the way you want you will have spent enough time and effort and shed more than enough blood sweat and tears to satisfy any sense of accomplishment you might be craving.

Kevin

Fair enough but I would still at least start with a complete car and use this one for parts. Between the 2 he will have all the unobtanium parts covered. That shell appears to have usable sheet metal which anything you can buy complete for reasonable $$$ won't have but what the complete car will have is all the trim and assorted doodads that are impossible to find for a one year only car.

By the time you get that all screwed together and looking the way you want you will have spent enough time and effort and shed more than enough blood sweat and tears to satisfy any sense of accomplishment you might be craving.

Kevin
I can agree with your assessment. Thanks for the insight.

Back