WANTED 1961 Fury Seat Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenner

Reaction score
Contact seller
214435DE-516E-42E9-BC5A-BB25B84E1B21.jpeg
Hi. I’m looking for seat belts, retractable type, for my ‘61 Fury. Obviously they don’t have to be original equipment but I’d like to match them to my interior, which is blue/turquoise. It’s a 2 dr HT with the split bench front seat. I may also install some in the rear seat...if I can find any. Does anyone have a link to a supplier? Thank you.

View attachment 271402 Hi. I’m looking for seat belts, retractable type, for my ‘61 Fury. Obviously they don’t have to be original equipment but I’d like to match them to my interior, which is blue/turquoise. It’s a 2 dr HT with the split bench front seat. I may also install some in the rear seat...if I can find any. Does anyone have a link to a supplier? Thank you.

We can do a set for you

I’ve looked under the car and I don’t see anything that jumps out as a proper anchor point. I’ve read that it wasn’t until ‘62 that seat belts started to get national attention, and it wasn’t until ‘65 or ‘66 that they were mandated by the government, so I’m guessing the ‘61 would not have anything directly related to seat belt installation. I always thought I’d just drill holes and support both sides of the floor and use the proper bolts, once I found appropriate seat belts. Thoughts?
Thanks
Glenn
PS and thank you for the compliment re: the interior....made from scratch, using just bare frames and pictures. My upholsterer is a master craftsman.
Another edit...I’ve heard that the proper way to route the right hand (for the driver) belt from behind the seat to the front, is by cutting into the seat itself and running the belt through the opening....if that’s true, it sounds like a lot of work when it could just be pushed through between the bench and the seat back...?

Last edited:
I’ve looked under the car and I don’t see anything that jumps out as a proper anchor point. I’ve read that it wasn’t until ‘62 that seat belts started to get national attention, and it wasn’t until ‘65 or ‘66 that they were mandated by the government, so I’m guessing the ‘61 would not have anything directly related to seat belt installation. I always thought I’d just drill holes and support both sides of the floor and use the proper bolts, once I found appropriate seat belts. Thoughts?
Thanks
Glenn
PS and thank you for the compliment re: the interior....made from scratch, using just bare frames and pictures. My upholsterer is a master craftsman.
Another edit...I’ve heard that the proper way to route the right hand (for the driver) belt from behind the seat to the front, is by cutting into the seat itself and running the belt through the opening....if that’s true, it sounds like a lot of work when it could just be pushed through between the bench and the seat back...?

Others may chime in to correct me but from what I've see, (never took measurements), they look to be about a 1/4 inch plate, welded to the floor pan with about a 3/8-1/2 inch fine thread and a shoulder bolt to allow the belt to swivel. Best to look at later cars for an exact location and installation. I may be a little overkill here but if your doing this, (and god forbid), you'd have to put the belts to a test and they fail.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob, I definitely don’t have that kind of bracket on my floor, so this ‘61, I think it’s fair to say, was not set up for seat belts. I appreciate you taking those pictures.
Glenn

Seat belts were a dealer installed option on 61 Plymouths. The brackets shown are part of the package.
I located a pair of the very rare forward look buckles and had new webbing installed on them to match my 61 Fury interior. I've also located NOS anchors and hardware.

The original belts were only available in brown.

DSC01121.JPG
DSC04710.JPG

OH, by the way. Beautiful car. Got any more pictures to share...?
I also have more of the webbing that I bought. Looks like it may match yours. Should be enough to do another set.

Thank you, I do have other pictures, will post later. Are you saying you still know a source for NOS anchors and hardware, or you found some and bought them for use in your car? The colour of webbing you showed does look like a good fit for my upholstery. I’m kinda torn, as I think I’d really like retractable belts.

You'll have to go with a much newer style seatbelt to get fully retractable. The 60's Mopars had a retractor that was inserted into the regular belt and while it didn't pull the seatbelt out of sight, it did minimize it's intrusion and help keep it out of the way when not in use.
These are listed for a Mustang, but they're near identical to what Mopar used, and may be for that matter.
upload_2019-3-26_20-35-35.png

Last edited:
I first have to say that, regarding helping someone looking for parts, you guys have been awesome. Thanks for all your advice and pictures and suggestions.
I’m a little over the moon at the moment; (also feeling a little dumb)I was out in my shop doing a little cleanup, when I remembered I had 2 pair of different types of seatbelts...somewhere...so I went to where I knew they were. The first pair were a generic looking pair, and then I looked at the second pair...please see photos. I feel like I’ve found the holy grail. In my own shop (that’s the dumb part). So now, for BlueFury, are you willing to part with your extra webbing, and what is the length of what you have?
Yes, I’m very excited. Thanks for listening. Glenn

840E50CC-CE52-4AA7-9D7C-0A2DA425050F.jpeg

0CBAEF45-87EC-4705-9948-DD6A87E82AFD.jpeg

I first have to say that, regarding helping someone looking for parts, you guys have been awesome. Thanks for all your advice and pictures and suggestions.
I’m a little over the moon at the moment; (also feeling a little dumb)I was out in my shop doing a little cleanup, when I remembered I had 2 pair of different types of seatbelts...somewhere...so I went to where I knew they were. The first pair were a generic looking pair, and then I looked at the second pair...please see photos. I feel like I’ve found the holy grail. In my own shop (that’s the dumb part). So now, for BlueFury, are you willing to part with your extra webbing, and what is the length of what you have?
Yes, I’m very excited. Thanks for listening. Glenn

View attachment 273168

View attachment 273169

You DOG, you!!! You had these all the time? WOW. Only the second set I've seen.
You must be bucking for the "you suck" list right away.
What webbing I have should be enough to do a full pair. I'll check and get back with you.
Will.

Well, in all fairness, I’ve only had them hanging in my shop for about....18 years.
I feel as stupid as one can feel, but am made to feel better only by the fact that I didn’t purchase, at probably great expense, other seat belts of varying description (and find these 6 months later) and by the fact that this forum has members of great discretion and restraint who won’t be too harsh with their ridicule.
Thank you for looking into the webbing. I’m checking on the “you suck” list here but so far, no luck. That may be a lucky thing....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back