Reaction score
Contact seller
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4950371939.html
00Q0Q_6aObF1R4lrB_600x450.jpg
00c0c_2e7F0qeLnBn_600x450.jpg

00909_leFKTKYyfTA_600x450.jpg

00c0c_2ATQ5dqjPyt_600x450.jpg

1961 Plymouth Fury 2 door hardtop

I've had the privilege of owning the "Big Red Rocket" for 13 years now, but I just don't drive it enough to keep it any longer.

I have a lot of effort into this car. It was my only vehicle for about 4 years, but I lived in Seattle and probably put 2k on it per year. Nowadays I probably drive the car once a month. The odometer shows ~70,000 miles now, which is the same as when I bought it. The "Teleview" ribbon speedometer works well, but reads 76 when you're doing 60.

Throughout the years I tossed away all the notes left on my windshield offering to buy the car; now's the chance!

This car is certainly one of the funkiest designs out there. I love the early sixties designs, prior to the wide, flat expanses of the muscle car era. You can look up the history of this car: It was a Virgil Exner design. The front of the car seems rooted in the 1950's while the back in pure space-aged sixties. Virgil Exner was ailing during this car's design and rumor was that one designer worked the front and another worked the rear. Interestingly enough, today's Lexus auto line up and the '61 Plymouth share the same "pinch" frontal styling!

The 50's fins gave way in 1961 and in 1962 the Fury shrunk 1 ½ feet in length and was "slabified," losing all the cool design attributes of the 1961 making this Fury unique. The downside to this design was as the '60's progressed this Fury became rather unfashionable and the cars rushed to the crusher. Also, Chrysler designers spent a lot of time on the look but not the water channeling so the cars rusted rather quickly, especially in areas with salted roads in the winter.
The hardtop model is the best design in my opinion. The sedan didn't have the flowing roofline which really makes the look. The larger "Sky Hi" rear window adds to the effect.

One of the trendiest parts of this car is the dashboard design. The pod design is unique and pushbutton transmission truly is very functional. It's funny how automakers are going back to this; recently I rented a Lincoln MKZ that had a pushbutton tranny. The steering wheel is a subject in itself. The squared, clear plastic "Aero-Wheel" with gold flake glitter was an option in 1961. A solid colored circular version was standard this year.

Some history on this car as it was relayed to me. I'm the fourth owner. I purchased the car from a young lady in the Rainier Valley. She said she purchased it from the second owner who was from the Microsoft area. The car was built at the Long Beach factory long since shuttered and has been a west coast car all its life. Previous owner had the engine replaced with original equipment "Polyspheric" 318 4 bbl and it's a factory 318 car. I had the camshaft and lifters replaced as the cam in the new engine wore down on one lobe. The transmission was rebuilt by JC Auto. Not cheap but worth it. Also the paint is new above the chrome line, done by Fenders and Fins. Again, not cheap but a beautiful job. Some chips in the front of the car now from road rocks. I do have the touch up paint, just haven't touched it up.

All colors are original. The interior has been redone with original stampings in the vinyl on the asymmetrical "Command Bench" seat. The carpets aren't perfect but those imperfections are under the floor mats.

The car drives quite well, the torsion-aire suspension was really a good idea. It is perfectly smooth and balanced down the road. The brakes have been upgraded to 3 inch station wagon brakes and rebuilt somewhat recently. They are still drum brakes, so no matter what they aren't as good as disc brakes.

In 1961 everything was an option, including the heater. Fortunately this car has a good amount of options:
• Aluminum front headlight effects
• Front bumper guard
• Driver's side mirror
• "Sky-Hi" rear window (not all hardtops had the large window)
• Reverse indicator lights
• 318 4v (Fury V-800 with Super-Pak) motor (base engine was 6 cylinder)
• 3 speed auto "torqueflite" transmission (2 speed "powerflite" was base)
• Power steering
• Power brakes
• "Aero-Wheel" steering wheel
• Heater
• Dash pad
• AM radio (works great, tubes and all. Takes about 10 seconds to warm up when turned on)
• Clock (doesn't work)
• Windshield washer (used to work but the bag sprung a leak)
The option I wish it had is the under-dash 16 rpm record player. These can be purchased and installed though.

It took until 1964 for seatbelts to be required as standard equipment, so this car didn't have any originally. Seatbelts have been installed for 7 passengers; three in front and four in back. I've driven four elementary school kids in back many times. Plenty of room!

The car is permanently registered with a correct Washington plate and 1961 tab. The "A" plates were issued in King County. I found this plate at a garage sale on Mercer Island and registered it to the car for $5.00. Classic car registration is one of the best deals in Washington state!

This car is completely reliable; I would drive it cross country today. The only time I've been let down is when reverse gear went out leading to the transmission rebuild. Otherwise it's been fantastic.

I have a lot of extra parts; hubcaps, light lenses, windows etc. Also original service manuals (1960 manual and the 1961 supplement since the cars have a shared frame). I have the original owner's manual and original aluminum keys. A couple original sales posters with the Big Red Rocket pitched as an "economy" car driven by an exceedingly happy couple will be included.

With all this said, the car isn't perfect but I'll tell you everything I know about it.

Click for some pics of my car:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2718612/1

Zero rush to sell, it's already 54 years old so it won't depreciate any more.

$18,000, no trades for property in Utah or Nigerian bank checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back